Attention Chancellor Candidates

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

No way. This concentrates all power in the RA. Out of the question.

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

I may be wrong, but wasn't one of the main reasons for the creation of this position was to semi replace the Guild that had failed? I, for one, think that as it currently stands, the RA has way too much power within its reach. Limiting the power of the government is not a bad thing.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

I totally agree with you, Dnate. We need an effective and functional system of checks and balances, which will not stifle leaderhip nor impede collaboration. Hence CARE's positon.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Michel --

But CARE's position concentrates power in the Chancellor. If concentrating power in a group of people is bad -- surely concentrating power in a single person is worse.

As I see it, Executive positions should be seen and treated as caretaker positions. Policy should be made by the Legislature. The Executives job is just to see that policy carried out with the minimum stress and strain and loss. Thus, having an executive that comes from the legislative makes sense. First, it prevents the kind of Executive/Legislative conflicts that have characterized American Constitutional history -- to the harm of the U.S. Second, it increases the responsibility of the legislature by making them have a stake in execution so that they can't simply pass a feel-good, but unworkable, policy and leave it for someone else to try to carry it out and receive the blame when it fails. Finally, it allows talent and time to pool. In a small community, we need to leverage what time and talent we have. We don't have the luxury of diluting it by spreading roles and power around.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

[quote="Beathan":r2f8co6k]First, it prevents the kind of Executive/Legislative conflicts that have characterized American Constitutional history -- [/quote:r2f8co6k]

I think these can be very good things. It prevents things from happening too fast.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

Beathan,

Please re-read CARE's position in full. You will note that no concentration of power in the Executive exists, as the LRA is strengthened, and so is the SC, whilst the Chancellor loses veto powers.

CARE's position also requires team-work and cooperation between the Executive and Legislative (unlike th US model), whilst assiging to each specific tasks for which they can be held accountable separately. Note also that the RA is streamlined - allowing for mixed party majority governments (like in Germany)- but with checks and balances worked in (unlike the UK model -where Parliament and Prime Minister are much too powerful).

Chancellor and LRA will be somewhat similar to Roman Republic Consuls (without the overlap and conflict), whilst the Senate's role is taken by the RA and the tribune's role is depoliticised and given to the SC.

The only institution missing from this is an independent, stable, effective and professional Judiciary... :twisted:

Michel

NB. That being said, the CARE position is not written in stone. There's more than enough room for discussion, as long as the underlying principles are respected.

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Sorry all!

I was very busy and away from my machines most of last friday and saturday, then i was back on sunday but was suddenly taken a tad ill during the guild's meeting... and was catching up all of yesterday!

Yes, i am running for Chancellor. Sorry to keep you all speculating... feels a bit strange to be discussed :) almost... dissociative! 'Who's this person?' :)

I am willing to serve as Chancellor, and willing to quit the RA seat, if that is needed. This has been widely and interestingly discussed above ... i just would like to say that if a consultation is made to the SC on that matter, i'll obviously abide by the SC decision :)

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

Welcome aboard. Now, to find the skeletons in your closet to drag out. ;)

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hoping this is the right place to post this... :)

I present my public formal resignation of the RA seat to which I was elected for this term.

Leon Ash was appointed at the CSDF General-Assembly last thursday to replace me in that seat.

Thank you all! I am sure that Leon will do a very good work as representative :) so, good work, Leon! :)

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

As usual, Moon, you have again acted in the best interests of the CDS. I commend you for it, thank you for all your contributions to our community, and wish you the best of luck in whatever office you will hold in the future.

Return to “General Discussion”