Draft manifesto for the imagined Party of Unity and Justice

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Draft manifesto for the imagined Party of Unity and Justice

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

I'm not standing in the upcoming elections, but if I were, I believe the issues that I'd attribute the greatest importance would be as described in the following, imaginary manifesto. I will be using the list as my own personal checklist in finding out my political compatibility with the various factions running for office. I'm posting it here since other citizens might be interested in seeing it, discussing it and possibly using it as a source of inspiration:

[b:3aq0tiy6]The Party of Unity and Justice[/b:3aq0tiy6]

The Republic of Neufreistadt represents the most compelling vision for a virtual, self-governed community in Second Life based on the belief in justice, solidarity and the virtues of democracy, pluralism and constructive endeavours in creativity. The Party of Unity and Justice believes that this vision is best strengthened by emphasising the role of a strong government to preserve unity and maintain a framework of justice in promotion of the continuing evolution of our community.

[b:3aq0tiy6]A. Unity and the representation of sims in the Republic[/b:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]1) The Republic should remain a single whole. [/i:3aq0tiy6]

Sim borders are arbitrary borders and should not at the outset be considered to demarkate a seperate community of values or of governance. You choose a sim to live in simply out of a preference for architecture and landscaping and nothing else. The government must therefore abstain from potentially encouraging divisiveness in our community on the basis of the artificial borders constituted by a sim.

Individual sims should not have seperate representation in our legislating body. This will encourage candidates to run on a platform of working for "special/localised interests" rather than for the whole of the community.

That a constituency of 60 people is too large seems implausible. We have already in the current term experienced how difficult it can be from our present constituency to find enough candidates willing to sit in the RA. To start deliberating about subdividing our already small community further is unnecessary and will just add additional administrative overhead to our government. Even in a future community consisting of 5 sims.

[i:3aq0tiy6]2) Self-determination should be granted in those areas that are truly local in nature[/i:3aq0tiy6]

A sim in the republic should be allowed self-determination in those areas which are relevant for its uniqueness: That means the building code, the associated covenants and a government representative charged with developing and enforcing the building code in harmony with his community. This process can also inform him/her about pressing needs that the local development might have in relation to resource allocation and policy decisions of the whole community.

[b:3aq0tiy6]B. Maintaining the integrity of our collective government[/b:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]1) Groups in Second Life bestowed with governmental powers need to be actively maintained and their ownership should be managed in a way that alleviates the impact of Linden Lab's headless decision to grant eternal ownership of the group to the original founder regardless of his/her afiliation with or standing within the city.[/i:3aq0tiy6]

As our recent history shows the SL group system is a liability to our desire to enable collective, democratically governed ownership of our mutual resources within the sim. At any time the original founder of a group can contact Linden Labs to request that ownership of the group be given back to him/her alone and noone else. We need to find a way to work around this so that our community can never again be hijacked by individuals with sinister agendas.

[i:3aq0tiy6]2) Rights of intellectual property to any collectively owned content within the sim must be held by the government of Neufreistadt collectively. [/i:3aq0tiy6]

The best way to implement this is to put in place a system of legal, notarised documents to ensure that anyone working for the government to create content does so for a specified compensation in return for granting the government rights of ownership and usage of this content.

[i:3aq0tiy6]3) The expansion into a second sim should be designed especially to address the question of how to finance the development of the sim's particular theme and how to ensure that the government holds ownership over it[/i:3aq0tiy6]

As our recent history has shown us it is of vital importance that the development of a sim is planned in a way that devotes ample consideration to the questions of financing, ownership and development. In order for our new sim (Colonia Nova) to appear as an attractive, themed community it is necessary for us to perform a certain amount of development of the sim in advance. This development should be financed in a way that does not give any outside party any undue influence or ownership over the development of our community.

We propose that artisans be commissioned to produce a certain amount of templates and public buildings and that they be compensated partially in cash and partially in being honoured as being among the founders of the new community - possibly through time-limited discounts on land fees for shops in a central location at the new sim. Furthermore, citizen's bonds could be issued as a way to raise money for the sim. Alternatively, we might look into investing some of the current reserves that the Treasury holds or involving some of our financial institutions in the financing.

[b:3aq0tiy6]C. Justice and the role of the Scientific Council[/b:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]1) The SC should be an independent and impartial entity with the power to review the decision of any government body that affects the interests of a citizen[/i:3aq0tiy6]

As individual members of the SC do not have a democratic mandate tThe SC as an institution should not become an active "political player" and must therefore only initiate proceedings and possibly intervene at the request of one or more plaintiffs.

In order for the SC to be able to check the power of the other branches it should continue to be endowed with the power to review every decision made by a government official that affects a citizen using the Constitution as its legal and ethical foundation.

To remain independent and not need to seek "political goodwill or reward" the members of the SC should not have the renewal of their terms be dependent on the acceptance of other branches of government.

[i:3aq0tiy6]2) Since the Constitution is the most important constraint on the exercise of the powers of the SC, the SC should have its powers to restrict modification of the Constitution constrained or kept in check by another entity - preferably the people[/i:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]3) Impeachment is too blunt and stigmatising an instrument to be used in our community for anything but the most gross illegality and incompetence - it is therefore not useful in cases of disagreement in substance between branches of government. A seperate procedure is needed.[/i:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]4) In the interpretation of the meaning of specific clauses in the Constitution or any other acts the Scientific Council will only take into account the actual wording of the legislation plus any other statements made at the time when the bill was proposed. [/i:3aq0tiy6]

An author of an act or a legal document cannot claim any kind of special ability to interpret the meaning of a passage in the constitution or any other legislation that he or she wrote originally. It is rather obvious that if this privilege be granted to authors of legislation they remain free to re-interpret the wording of the bill in the indefinite future to promote their own interests. This has been attempted already. If the intention of a bill has not been made clear at the point of presentation before the RA then it was not present and the SC must interpret it accordingly.

[i:3aq0tiy6]5) The Constitution should embody the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as adapted to our special circumstances.[/i:3aq0tiy6]

Granted - "special circumstances" is what every government of the world appeals to in trying to explain why a specific provision of the UDHR does not apply to them in this very unique case and most often the argument rings hollow. However, it is important to acknowledge that Neufreistadt does not have an RL government and that it is not part of the RL world. When the UDHR was written there was no anticipation of the possibility for people to fly, to evade imprisonment by being able to teleport home or by logging off. There was no anticipation of the possibility for criminals to evade sanctions being imposed on them by creating and using alts. Similarly, there was no expectation that countries with "micro economies" could arise as sustainable entities with government officials working in a voluntary capacity. In embodying the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in our Constitution it is therefore the view of the Party of Justice and Unity that the Republic of Neufreistadt should apply its unique experience with the workings of a virtual government to adapt these principles to be workable for such special circumstances yet striving to keep loyal to the original spirit and intention of the declaration. A special committee under the auspices of the Scientific Council should be established for the purpose of going through the UDHR and annotating the articles with special interpretations and adaptations to cater for the special circumstances of a virtual country. The annotations should result in a seperate catalogue that should be referenced in the Constitution by way of an amendment passed by the RA.

[b:3aq0tiy6]D. Foreign policy and the Confederation[/b:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]1) The Confederation of Democratic Sims should be a forum for cooperation and a way to leverage the idea of democracy in SL[/i:3aq0tiy6]

There is no future in a bureaucratic superstructure that acts as a restricting "world government". Instead our confederation should be an open forum based on voluntary participation that enables its members to cooperate on joint initiatives and achieve leverage in areas that are important to them. Specifically, the development of land management tools, governance tools and addressing our needs vis a vis Linden Lab are areas where cooperation would be fruitful.

[i:3aq0tiy6]2) The Confederation should be open to democratically governed, territorially based communities in SL[/i:3aq0tiy6]

Since the Confederation will be basing its mission on the idea of promoting and promulgating self-governance and democracy it will be one of its most important tasks to define the requirements of what constitutes a democracy in SL. Mechanisms for including and excluding members should be predominantly based on objectively verifiable criteria rather than for example criteria based on politics, voting and majority.

[i:3aq0tiy6]3) As a true confederation the CDS should not have any power to enforce decisions on individual members[/i:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]4) The Republic of Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova and any future sims added to our Republic (or "Neufreistadt and provinces") should join the CDS as a single whole[/i:3aq0tiy6]

[b:3aq0tiy6]E. Neufreistadt as a living community[/b:3aq0tiy6]

[i:3aq0tiy6]1) Our Government needs to do more than talk and take decisions - it must act![/i:3aq0tiy6]

An active - and proactive - government can play a strong facilitatory role in stimulating a prospering community and a vibrant city life. At present the role emphasised by most branches of government is one where discussion is undertaken and decisions are made. We need to incorporate better into this vision of a government the ability to act
on these decisions and carry them through to the goal has been achieved. This means that we need to devote more resources to developing a tier of government officials that are independent of the political leadership of the government branches. These officials should be salaried and employed with explicit goals to be accomplished within delimited periods of time. Members of the leadership of government should not carry out duties as officials of the government if it is not absolutely necessary.

[i:3aq0tiy6]2) Our non-governmental institutions should be supported by the city[/i:3aq0tiy6]

A dedicated amount of money and other resources should be set aside every term in a foundation to be distributed among non-governmental institutions of Neufreistadt on the basis of proposals submitted specifying how the initiatives contained in the proposal will contribute to making Neufreistadt a more vibrant community.

[i:3aq0tiy6]3) Our covenants must be flexible, transparent and enforced[/i:3aq0tiy6]

One of our greatest attractions compared to the mainland is our ability to offer to prospective residents and citizens co-determination with respect to their immediate visual environment. Our covenants are the mechanism by which we ensure this possibility. However, the current covenants appear to be rigid, not enforced and certainly not based on an ongoing discourse founded on the local environment. It should be one of the primary concerns of our government to put in place a mechanism that enables local communities to come together and agree on how to balance the three concerns of flexibility, transparence and enforcement in their particular covenants. A key task for central government in this regard will be to provide support in the form of tools and resources to facilitate this process.

Last edited by Diderot Mirabeau on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

I find your ideas intruiging and wish to subscribe to your newsletter, to coin a phrase.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Thanks for your thoughts Diderot, I agree with you on a number of points and I think you have laid out a convincing and well argued case. On some of the specifics:

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the Republic should remain a single entity and that plans for a confederation of semi-independant sims is unnecessary. We need to consider how we integrate Nova Colonia (and future additions to the Republic) into our governmental system but artificial divisions, overloading our democracy with too many politicians and adding administrative burdens to a small community are not sensible ways forward.

On the 'overarching' CDS entity, I'm worried that we're about to be hamstrung by the nomenclature the RA has chosen. The name 'Confederation' has set off a movement towards a form of political organisation that is not in the Constitution and which has not been agreed to by Neufreistadt citizens. My understanding was that we were voting for a name for the overall project i.e. representative democracy within Second Life, as distinct from the name of the first sim. I think CDS should be the overarching name and nothing more. We can consider entering into fraternal relations with other democratic sims when these appear (I don't see any signs of this right now, maybe others have better information?) It sounds like what you are proposing is a sort of virtual 'United Nations'; I think it may be best to wait for other democratic SL nations to materialise and then ask them if/how they would like to collectively organise before we decide the matter for them!

Lastly, on Neufreistadt as a living community: yes, yes, by the gods yes! I know it's been an unusual time recently but I've become frustrated at the extent to which we argue and debate but still leave important actions undone (and I accept I'm as much to blame for it as anyone else). I have some thoughts on how we might overcome that as a community which I'll post elsewhere.

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Thanks for the feedback everyone - it's always stimulating and facilitative to have your ideas challenged since it generally forces you to either abandon them or to further refine them with additional argumentation and supporting evidence.

I fear that in this case I must adopt the stance of the politician and claim that my ideas still stand:

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":38kdpsb2]
I think CDS should be the overarching name and nothing more.[/quote:38kdpsb2]

By my ideas in the above I do not mean to go against a decision that was taken by the RA with a near direct mandate from the electorate. I merely wish to point out the anomaly of giving our Republic an overarching name that implies it to be some sort of inter-governmental arrangement, which it is not at present. As I'm sure everybody will agree, "Confederation" is not some Star Trek-like title devoid of content with which you can adorn your republic without thinking twice. I do not agree with previous posters that the vote we went through has been about which form of inter-governmental arrangement we want between the sims of our Republic. Had that been the case the Act as passed would not have been called "Naming Procedures Act".

I therefore propose the constructive suggestion of establishing a constitutional foundation for the idea of a confederational arrangement and embodying it with life as an open forum that can act as a vessel for a proactive and constructive foreign policy to promote the diffusion of democracy within Second Life.

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":38kdpsb2] We can consider entering into fraternal relations with other democratic sims when these appear (I don't see any signs of this right now, maybe others have better information?) It sounds like what you are proposing is a sort of virtual 'United Nations'; I think it may be best to wait for other democratic SL nations to materialise and then ask them if/how they would like to collectively organise before we decide the matter for them![/quote:38kdpsb2]

Pardon me for saying so Patroklus but this stance of yours seems terribly reactionary. I see my suggestion as pointing out an opportunity for a constructive and engaging foreign policy with an actual content that - if successful - could promulgate our visions for self-governance within Second Life at a much quicker pace and much more cost-effectively than by saving up to shell out for a new sim penny by penny. I propose that if you share the ideal of bringing self-governance and democracy to Second Life it is much more effective to actively seek out and encourage fledgling communities and provide them with the tools necessary to take themselves to the next level of democratic governance than it is simply to rely on some sort of real-estate model of growing. I claim that the newly conceived Confederation could be the ideal vessel for such an initiative. Consider how the European Union has had a positive effect on the many countries of the former Eastern Bloc in putting forward an ideal worthy of attainment and reachable within a reasonable timeframe with the aid of tools and technical assistance from the existing block of democratic countries. I propose that we use the Confederation for similar ends.

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":38kdpsb2]Lastly, on Neufreistadt as a living community: yes, yes, by the gods yes! I know it's been an unusual time recently but I've become frustrated at the extent to which we argue and debate but still leave important actions undone (and I accept I'm as much to blame for it as anyone else). I have some thoughts on how we might overcome that as a community which I'll post elsewhere.[/quote:38kdpsb2]

I look forward to reading your thoughts on that matter!

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Claude Desmoulins »

Diderot,

I think we may be headed in the same general direction here. In proposing the idea of loose confederation , I was influenced by something Dianne mentioned . It was the idea of trying to get existing communities to join us in democracy, which is what I think you're saying here.

My concept was a tight affiliation, where an existing community could establish its own local democratic governance, and join our larger experiment by voting for the next RA and electing a senator or senators.

I have the sense that you'd like something even looser than that, but I'd like to know what sort of confederational arrangement you imagine. What structures, if any, would tie the confederation together?

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

[quote="Claude Desmoulins":ckjvupbi]My concept was a tight affiliation, where an existing community could establish its own local democratic governance, and join our larger experiment by voting for the next RA and electing a senator or senators.

I have the sense that you'd like something even looser than that, but I'd like to know what sort of confederational arrangement you imagine. What structures, if any, would tie the confederation together?[/quote:ckjvupbi]

Thanks for taking the time to clarify your vision once more for me and sorry for not having gotten back to you before now. RL festivities and other business has put a heavy toll on my ability to participate in the N'stadt public discourse formation in the last few days.

The question of how to set up our system of intergovernmental relations is surely a political one that must be taken in the RA through lengthy and thorough deliberations leading to a sequence of constitutional amendments carving out the structure, arrangements and institutions necessary to facilitate such a system.

I believe that it will be difficult to persuade a sim to rally under our banner of promoting democracy and self-governance in SL if we require that it be intermingled with our own political system as a consequence of this affiliation.

I see two levels of possible affiliation with our institutions of political decisionmaking. One is where you'd agree to be bound by the decisions of our RA, SC and Guild and would by extension also acquire representation in these government bodies. This equates to the current relation of citizenship between an individual member of our community and our republican government. How to develop this representation in the future remains a seperate issue. My personal view on this issue is that the relation should remain one between the individual citizen and our overarching government and that we should refrain from interjecting superfluous distinctions/borders and unneccessary bureaucratic sublayers of government but only add the institutions absolutely necessary to achieve selfgovernance about those issues that are truly local. I realise of course that this is a political question where there are many different opinions.

On the question of how to make existing communities join us as a whole entity I think we won't be very successful if we require that they cede their autonomy to be represented in our RA by one member. First of all it changes the role of our relatively successful RA from being "managing the republic" to "taking care of all sorts of strategic decisions regarding the direction of a conglomerate of sims".

What I think that communities with considerations of joining our project would be attracted by would be the prospect of getting access to our tools and expertise in running accountable government institutions; the prospect of gaining leverage in the ongoing dialogue with Linden Lab about the tool and platform needs of selfgoverning, territorially based communities; the possibility of sharing resources in the development of new initiatives in marketing or administration enabling economies of scale and improved brand recognition and last but not least the knowledge that this affiliation has absolutely no impact or constraining influence on the government institutions and policy decisions that they choose to take as long as these remain within a democratic framework.

So in other words I see future expansion of our vision as coming from a two-pronged approach: One tightly integrated, where we expand by adding new sims and by extension new citizens to the Republic and another where we expand by forming a pro-active, development oriented system of collaboration with other, fully autonomous sims, who share our vision of territorially based self-governance.

The Confederation would have powers in these areas:

1) Treaty issues (outlining objectively verifiable requirements for democratic governance applicable to all member sims; sending out election observers to each others elections; deciding on new and current members applicability; establishing review procedures for problematic members; determining weighting of votes and a system for proportional distribution of expenses)

2) Linden relations (determining common positions with regard to the future development of the SL platform)

3) SL Community relations (planning, sponsoring and executing joint marketing initiatives in relation to the SL community at large)

4) Tools and systems development (planning, sponsoring and executing joint projects to develop systems that support common administrative practices such as land management, voting, tax collection and similar)

5) Security (Co-operating in response to griefers; outlining common guidelines for appeal procedures and similar)

Decisions taken under these headings would only be binding to those members, who decide to participate. These members would be the only ones to benefit from the outcome of the projects/collaboration but would in return be bound to sponsor the initiative.

There would probably be two institutions: A confederate congress (or senate if you will), that would serve as the coordinating forum to pass resolutions and formulating formal cooperation treaties that would enable two or more member communities to go forward in their cooperation with a concrete project.

A second institution - possibly a confederate council or court - could be needed to ensure that no resolution is passed that transgresses the limitations outlined in the founding treaty: Namely that no resolution or decision may impede on a community's right to self-determination and should only facilitate it in achieving the policy goals that it has already set in place. This institution could also possibly be endowed with the mandate to resolve issues under 1) - i.e. those of membership eligibility and similar.

Representation in the confederate congress would probably be 1 community = 1 representative (the court would be in charge of ensuring that communities do not cheat by signing up their 5 sims as seperate communities). In the court a different system could be in place based more on the confidence in individuals or using a different system for term lengths or eligiblity to ensure some degree of indepence of the individual members from the interests of the various member communities.

The body I'm envisioning is probably more along the lines of the "Council of Europe" or "the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe" (OSCE) than it would resemble for example the European Union in its present state or the United Nations.

Return to “General Discussion”