Thoughts on voice?

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Thoughts on voice?

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

Voice is now live on the grid. Last night, I had the opportunity to listen to Michel, Pel, and Gonta (myself, I don't talk much). It was quite interesting. But I was wondering what y'all think about voice, and how it can be used to foster our community's goals?

Personally, I think voice may help to make the tone of our discussions more civil. I have noticed that the more we think of the avatar as a real live flesh-and-blood person, the less we are likely to have acrimonious discussions.

On the other hand, voice brings a disadvantage to many of our community members who are not native English speakers. At least with text, every word written is clear. With voice, we would have to struggle with accents, mumbling, bad speakers, and so on.

In any case, I would hope that government meetings would still be in text chat, as transcripts have provided plenty of useful information to those of us who can rarely attend meetings.

What do you think?

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I am torn - I can see how Voice will help - but there are a number of folks - non native English speaker especially - that would be excluded.

I also know through the Quaker organization to which I belong to - there are a number of autistics - some who are unable to communicate with their voice in RL (or SL for that matter) that will be left behind.

So for a number of reasons - I really don't know what the right choice is - though I htink it is a necessary discussion!

Being a native Englush speaker - *for me* it is not a big deal - but for those who are not native English speakers - or those that have other issues really ought to weight in.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Thoughts on voice?

Post by Arria Perreault »

[quote="Flyingroc Chung":16ohhc1n]In any case, I would hope that government meetings would still be in text chat, as transcripts have provided plenty of useful information to those of us who can rarely attend meetings.[/quote:16ohhc1n]

I have tried voice too. It's funny. As I am non native English speaker, it's easier for me to communicate in text. I hope too that government meetings will be in text, so non native English speaker can participate too. The other advantage is that we can have the transcript. If the official meetings are with voice, somebody would have to write a transcription, which is very boring.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

I agree that voice can be an invaluable addition to text chats, but not a replacement.

Return to “General Discussion”