a challenge.

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

a challenge.

Post by Rose Springvale »

Hello CDS,

In my continuing effort to figure out what exactly I'm doing as PIO, including trying to hit on all the responsibilities listed here[url:1qdmvn0k]http://aliasi.us/nburgwiki/tiki-index.php?page=NL+4-26[/url:1qdmvn0k] I've been trying to get a feel for "the rest" of CDS outside my own holdings.
(BTW... is there a traders association or Chamber of Commerce? Who do i talk to??)

I walked the unnamed (thanks Dnate, hopefully this will change soon) streets of Colonia Nova... A beautiful build... of empty shops. I counted 15 empty stores. FIFTEEN from the landing point to the walls. In three other stores, I could buy a picture if I wanted (more on that later) But that's it. Doesn't ANYONE have anything to sell in Colonia Nova?

Then I popped over to NFS. Things are a little better on the platz, but still... for a shopoholic like me, and I'd venture at least 70% of the sl population, there isn't much to buy.

My question is... why?

I can get events in the sims, things people will come to, but you all have to do your part too. Put SOMETHING in the stores! If we can't teleport directly to events, give me a reason to ask outsiders to walk by.

If it's the money... though you already own the buildings,you already pay the tier... so anything you recover in sales decreases that, yes?
[b:1qdmvn0k]
But just in case... here's my challenge. [/b:1qdmvn0k] I'll offer to personally pay tier for the month of September for anyone who actually puts things in their shop. Articles for sale, objects with notecards, anything!

(If you tell me it's the time... i'll probably tell you to close the forum window! and for the record, the last vendor for the Emporium filled his room, a room bigger than most of the shops in CN last weekend, in less than an hour. So... ??)

If you tell me it's because you really don't want to be a shopkeeper, then please.. go to the RA and ask them to allow subleases. Then lease out your shop to someone who does. Or support one of the many variations on citizenship that lets you participate in CDS without owning land and sell yours.

I recognize that many people are in CDS for the "talk" and the democratic experiment. But we've chosen to participate in this in a place that requires more than posting on forums...we've chosen a virtual world that needs population and activity. In short, we need action for this experiment to be considered "successful." My guess is that you can continue to be a forum poster even if you own nothing in CDS, if that is really what you want to do. But for those of us whose experiment extends beyond this, well, to quote that Big Dog Shirt that was popular a few years ago... lead, follow, or please, get out of the way.

BTW...I also visited Anzere. Yes, there were lots of people there. I chatted with a few of them, most of whose rez dates were within the past month. Asked them what they liked about SL, and queried specifically : 1. Shopping? 2. Dancing? 3.Politics?

The response I got: 1. Where can I get free shoes? 2. SWM 33, you? 3.ugh. Who wants to spend sl doing the same bs as rl?

Lesson learned from Anzere.. Numbers of people don't necessarily translate into contributing members of a community like ours. But they are there, if we want to attract them.

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

Pat organized the trader association.

Personally, I don't have a shop. If I had one it would be in NFS, and paradoxically I [u:qssyj5dk]do[/u:qssyj5dk] have a lot of things I could sell. Its not a bad idea if one is available.

I feel a little disappointed in how Colonia Nova changed after it was built -- structures removed and replaced, signs, etc. Its just a personal opinion, many other people probably prefer it the way it is. But I would be less likely to want commercial space there.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Thanks Jon. Not sure what you mean, other than perhaps the Emporium, as i don't think most of the sim has changed in the time i've been there.

And if you are referring to the Emporium ... that was simply a matter of accessibility and prims.. the ceilings were too low , the shops had no frontage, and the prims used left it pretty much unusable as commercial space. We've seen other merchants with the same frustrations, yes?

That's really not an issue now though... the issue now is using what we have. if you have things to sell and don't want to sell in CN, perhaps you can license to someone who does? Just a thought.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

I don't sell in CN (despite having several items I [i:1q1rfvgn]do[/i:1q1rfvgn] sell, on SLExchange and in Suffugium) because it's strictly a residential thing for me. (By which I do not mean I would eliminate the shops; on the contrary. I just mean that [i:1q1rfvgn]I[/i:1q1rfvgn] have no use for Colonia Nova as a commercial outlet. One is enough in teleport-enabled Second Life, and my plot is expensive enough as it is.)

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.

Return to “General Discussion”