TP again

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Thank you Dnate, (my post was more than slightly off) - for leading back to the topic and giving me something to think about on the way.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I posted a [url=http://www.slexchange.com/modules.php?n ... 7:2igzz7e5]link[/url:2igzz7e5] to this item on SLExchange before. It costs L$ 2350. Here's the item description, my emphasis in bold:

Teleporter Ultra-Sync PLATINUM (Pay, Custom Map)

Rez-and-go. Network teleporter with real custom map. Info option knowing about your network status. 4 access modes.

Introducing Sync Technology

designed to be off the shelf and ready out of box.
enables communication between teleporters, doing all the setting up so you don't have to.
100% take-and-rez, or even rez-and-go from your inventory. Unlike other brands, no need to rename or input description manually before they will work.

They are the most powerful, flexible, efficient and effective teleporters, yet they are so easy to use.

Ultra-Sync PLATINUM
For the use of network teleporting. Enhanced with interactive real coordinate proportional display map in each location. PLATINUM edition comes with awesome owner edit features (see below for details).

How to use?
Rez the teleporter from your inventory, it will automatically update all the map pointers. Rez another one onto your next locations, and repeat for more locations. That's it and all ready to use!

It is so easy to use that does not even need to have an instruction menu.

Up to massive 64 location at the same time with all random colored map pointers.

Ultra-Sync PLATINUM includes the following powerful features:

[b:2igzz7e5]simply drag and drop your custom map texture into the base's inventory. The display map will be updated by itself.[/b:2igzz7e5]

[b:2igzz7e5]using map pointer to teleport. No hard-to-find flip menu pages for selecting destination.[/b:2igzz7e5]

[b:2igzz7e5]new location can be added anytime onto your existing network. Just rez-and-go.[/b:2igzz7e5]

instant direct access, no need to wait for searching teleporter. Plus absolutely no rez beam or additional object rezzed from the teleporter!

teleport your avatar in less than a single second.

all teleporters can be put anywhere as long as they are in the same sim.

once they are rezzed and ready to use, they can be moved or taken to any new position. Automatically updating new positions, no additional setup required. Fully synchronized by itself anytime anywhere!

---------------------------------------
Sound like it's worth buying?

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Tested. Looks like a washbasin :-) Works fine at my home. Copy, mod, no trans -> call me if you need a temporary setup. Thanks!

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: TP again

Post by Sonja Strom »

Perhaps this is a good time to revisit the issue of whether or not to have direct teleportation (direct TP).

My understanding is, on a few of the CDS sims there are central teleportation points that come up when putting the in name of the sim on the SL map (in the search function), but that from there anyone can direct TP to anywhere on the sim.

It is also my understanding that all sims in the CDS have direct TP capability except for Neufreistadt, which still directs everyone (except for those few who have an Administrator status) to the Marktplatz. Since we now have more events taking place in Neufreistadt than before, maybe we could normalise NFS with the other sims and give people a direct TP capability there as well.

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

I believe it would take a vote by RA to accomplish this. Perhaps Sonja could take responsibility for researching the necessary steps and introducing legislation to RA if necessary.

Cindy

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Thank you for volunteering me, Cindy. :)

OK, how about a bill for the RA with this wording: "Direct teleport shall be applied to Neufreistadt." Would you be in favor of it?

Pip Torok
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Pip Torok »

Sonja Strom wrote:

OK, how about a bill for the RA with this wording: "Direct teleport shall be applied to Neufreistadt." Would you be in favor of it?

I'm thoroughly in favour of Direct Teleportation being applied to Neufreistadt. I hope a majority of the RA will agree.

When I first came to CDS, there were still only 3 sims (Neufreistadt, Alpine Meadow and Colonia Nova) and I noticed that the two more recent sims had Direct Teleportation, but that the earliest sim did not. I put it down to the work and/or cost it might involve.

I was wrong, it seems. From the Guild meeting yesterday, I've learnt that there is _no_ expense involved, and, as for work, only a box needs to be unchecked!

It's a beautiful sim. Let's make it as accessible as the rest of CDS.

Pip Torok

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Without taking a stand one way or another, I'd like to simply bring into this discussion why Neufreistadt has a functioning telehub, meaning that all arrivals to the sim arrive *only* in the Marktplatz. In fact, CN was also set up this way, with its telehub in the forum, for the same reasons. But CN's was soon changed.

The arrangement of NFS and CN are conceived as structurally centered on their plazas. Commerce, information sources and event locations are centered in those locations, much as a RL town grows up around a central square. Indeed, when Neufreistadt first came into being, a telehub was the *only* way to arrive at a sim, and for sim owners the only question was where to put it.

By forcing all arrivees to have a "first experience" at that central point theoretically enables the community to introduce its visitors to us in a very "controlled" way. We bring them into the central gathering point, the "agora" so to speak, provide information all around them, give shops a chance to offer their goods to every visitor, and then let them fly or walk to their destinations. In fact, having every visitor arrive at this point means that a visitor is *much* more likely to encounter another person or persons there, since everyone has to arrive at the same point. There's no question that the impression of the place to a newcomer is augmented by the experience of having someone else already there... the place just feels more "popular".

As mentioned, CN was set up this way too, but I guess it didn't have the long tradition that NFS did, and residents soon clamoured for the same change being asked of NFS. As I said, I'll take no position on this one way or the other. But I *do* think that people should be aware of what they're losing if they decide to remove the telehub and allow "Direct TP".

Sudane................................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

As commented yesterday in the Guild meeting, the Guild has no say about this issue. The Guild can only propose teleport routing modes for new sims when doing the new sim project, and that must be approved by the contractor - in this case, RA.

Sudane is right though when she says that NFS and CN were planned to have central teleport. The difference is clearly seen by the fact that both have a central plaza for arrivals. Just compare with the layout of AM and LA, which were projected from the start for direct teleport and which have no clearly defined arrival area.
But in any case, as also mentioned yesterday at the Guild Board meeting, there is interest to review periodically some aspects of land ordaining, as technology and the use of the sims evolve.

I would only like to call the issue of sufficient signalling in NFS in case the RA decides to enable direct teleport in NFS. This is a case in which i would definitely recommend having input of new citizens, since people who are very used to the NFS layout may have difficulty in judging if the existing signalling is sufficient for new citizens and visitors who would like to explore the sim further than just teleporting into given locations.

Eudaimonia now!
Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Weighing in on Direct TP.

Post by Rose Springvale »

The tp system was changed by the 7th RA by the Teleportation Improvement acthttp://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=210. Basically we tried it and we liked it so we kept the change.

I was a big proponent for direct tp in CN, and i still think it was the right decision. Since all 10 of the other sims in CDS have direct tp, it does seem to be a bit onerous to NFS to be the only sim without it. I still get lost in NFS.

That said, getting lost in NFS is part of it's charm. The houses are so small, and the streets so quaint that much is missed by directly teleporting.

So i'm going to provide information but not an opinion...either way is fine with me. The three places that would most benefit from direct tp are the Biergarten, the school and the Schloss.

The Biergarten is right on the platz, and its distinctive yellow color makes it easy to describe and find. I think the biggest hurdle to people finding where the recent concerts have been was more that they were upstairs than that they were not direct tp... that issue won't be solved with direct tp.

The school.. is used primarily for Guild meetings that are attended by our own citizens. The CDS guided tour owl originates there, mostly because it wasn't easy to find a logical route for the tour in NFS and we didn't want to clutter the platz. Landmarks to both of those results in the Red Arrow locator, and generally, guild meetings don't pose an issue. People DO like to find the owl... and are generally accompanied by someone when they do.

The schloss was a source of great frustration for me as a fledgling event organizer. We've solved the problem by placing teleporting objects in the platz for the events. Some of you might even remember the sleighs we've used to bring our guests to the schloss for parties. Those rez at the teleport point, and deliver passengers by taking the scenic route. We could do this for other locations too, with appropriate vehicles. As it is, some outsiders get frustrated, but most people who are invited and attend our schloss parties are not strangers.

NFS not only centers commerce on the platz, but also many events. We could have Oktoberfest in other locations, and if we did we'd certainly want direct tp to it. But until we move it, having visitors tp right into the melee makes it feel much more authentic.

I'll also add that i think most of the Caledon sims have eliminated the central tp system as well. They did so by polling the residents of the sim, and when there was a clear majority, the hub dissolved. Seems a fair alternative for NFS too.

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Sonja Strom wrote:

I would answer "yes" to a poll. But I think I'd like to see a poll of the residents before voting "yes" to a bill.

Cindy

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

That's a good idea Cindy. :)

I have created a poll here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2558

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Shouldn't only NFS residents vote though? That was how we did Colonia Nova.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Either way would be ok for me. Maybe we could have both - it seems to me like a Forum poll wouldn't hurt anything.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

No, no harm.. maybe even a Group Notice Poll in world?

Return to “Sim and City Planning”