Identity Verification, Trust and Citizenship

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Yikes!

The VAT monsters have come 'round to take ~20% ...

That is a shame.....

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Keystroke dynamics = fingerprint?

"The same neurophysiological factors that make a written signature unique are also exhibited in a user’s typing patterns—also known as keystroke dynamics. When a person types, the latencies between successive keystrokes, keystroke durations, finger placement and applied pressure on the keys can be used to construct a unique profile for that individual. For well known, regularly typed strings, e.g. a computer user’s login string, such profiles can be quite consistent."

"The advantages of keystroke dynamics in the computer environment are obvious. Neither enrollment nor verification disturbs the regular work flow because the user would be tapping the keys anyway. And unlike other biometrics systems, keystroke dynamics is almost free. The only hardware required is the keyboard."

And the software? Is that affordable? Could the cds run this kind of authentification?

Edit: keystroke dynamics profile: user creates one at home with a freeware, profile is not editable by this user (or turns invalid if edited), and then there is the problem how to connect it to the citizen - at the forum and during election?

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote:

This technology is like a 'keylogger' do you really want that? :)

What I'm wondering is if any of the sim owners have already tried LL's IDV? It's available for estate owners to sign up. Is it for example possible to show more than only "this avatar is verified by Integrity", like: publishing my initials and date of birth (but not my entire name) and linking those three? If it only says "verified" that doesn't help the CDS, since multiple avies can be verified.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

LL decided to only know that ID was verified - meaning the person really is 18 or older. All data is held by their subcontractor.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Sleazy_Writer wrote:
Tanoujin Milestone wrote:

This technology is like a 'keylogger' do you really want that? :)

If it is controlled by the cds only...

Initials, date of birth + LL verification combined, Workaround:
My sister tried SL, logged on once. I take her pw, verify sl account, rent at cds, give cds her initials and birthday. Only "problem" is the credit card info, that needs a little thought. Have i missed anything?

edit: LL is going to ask for more personal first life data, but wait... to be true: they offer the oportunity to provide more first life data and encourage land owners to use the restricted content flag. Why? It is about age verification. I remember the initial motivation very well.

More first life data provided makes it a little unconvenient to run several fake fronts. There is nothing checked but consistency of the data.
If we add a cds identification with initials and date of birth, I wonder if this is worth the effort. What is our interest? To identify individual users during elections. To enforce the laws about maximal amount of land an individual may hold in the cds.

In large groups - and i am looking forward to a growing cds - you need an unique user property to identify her. Such a property does *not* exist on SL. Keystroke profile would be one possibility to introduce user identification on a voluntary basis. It tells nothing about you but how you type.

If LL would like to give us something useful, it should be a bulletproof user siganture. This would not only serve the interests of the cds.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

At the risk of sounding overly idealistic and naive... isn't all of this just a tad bit paranoid?
LL needs to do it to stay out of court, pure and simple.

And the reality is, there is always going to be a way to fake identity. I've verified with LL .. the process is painless and frankly, because I have all the information for a number of other people, I COULD verify any number of accounts. But why would I?

What is to be gained by stuffing a virtual ballot box in a sim election? I've only been to a few RA meetings... but unless i'm missing something miraculous... ummmmmm

I don't get it.

Make whatever rules are really important, and then use an old fashioned idea to enforce it. I propose that we just trust each other.

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Rose Springvale wrote:

And the reality is, there is always going to be a way to fake identity.

Yes, even with the keystroke profile you can work around it. Let's do it though and call it "Orwell". "Oh, i need to see Orwell today, my verification period is up... "

Funny RL story: they counted the members of ethnicities somewhere in the far east - scientific method and all - the sum of people they counted was way above the total population - i am going to change my identity now and buy a fish at the market...

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Identity Verification, Trust and Citizenship

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

There is an intriguing feature in SL that allows to gather an avatar's IP address, as well as what operating system they're using and the CPU type. This really doesn't mean much, since two people living together in the same home and having the same style of computer will obviously have the same result, as well as many people inside a campus/corporate network. Or if people share their computer, they will naturally get the same results, too. Still, you could match the avatar name to an IP address, ask them to go to a Web page, and confirm that the request comes from the same IP address, the same operating system, and the same CPU type. That's the best you can have right now in terms of "validation"...

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Return to “General Discussion”