Moving over to phpBB 3.0

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Moving over to phpBB 3.0

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hi all,

You might have noticed that the forums were down for a bit. Sorry about that. Overall spamming on these forums (by fake users, about 2000+ on the last count!) was becoming dreadful to manage (20-50 fake registrations per day), so some drastic measures were required to deal with this. Since the forum board hadn't been updated in a while, I thought it would be a nice pretext to move towards the next generation of phpBB forums, which are great :)

Sadly this also means a lot of tweaking with the design! I'm afraid this has to be done by several stages, since the "current" design is somewhat a mix of the "standard" one and our old Neufreistadt-style colouring scheme. That'll take a few more days until I change everything — bear with me for a while.

Also, some formatting on the posts was sadly "destroyed" in the conversion process. Ah well. Nothing is ever perfect!

Cheers,

- Gwyn

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Moving over to phpBB 3.0

After reading some guidelines, I did a small tweak on the database that is supposed to fix the strange error of "password too long" or something like that, which prevented some people to change their passwords when for some reason they couldn't log in. We'll see if this allows people to log in again...

Sorry about that! This is beta software and still has some bugs to fix, although it looks nicer :)

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Slight update on the forum software...

Hi all,

As you know, several of you still can't login, and I do apologise for it. Sadly it seems that the new forum version, with the software in Beta, is still a bit flaky.

I did an upgrade today which should fix this (I'm not sure if it did or not), but sadly it made the forum board lose its colouring scheme. I have to take a look at it later...

I'm hoping that at least people are able to log in now, or at least retrieve their old passwords!

Cheers,

- Gwyn

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Oh no, it's BLUE!

Well... there's something that wasn't properly backed up: the colour scheme. It's utterly and completely lost — forever!

Sorry about that. Unfortunately, unlike the old version of phpBB, where you only needed to tweak about 30 settings, this version is about tweaking 2500 or so different settings...

I'm trying to see if I can restore them from the backup; if not, well, enjoy white-and-blue for a while :) until someone has the patience to change it all again :D

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Brian Livingston »

See, I thought we were just changing the color scheme for the winter, much like we are changing out all the trees and ground textures.

--BL

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

FWIW, I find the blue color scheme much easier to read both on the PC and on my phone's browser.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Well, I might keep it that way, since we have blue and white on our flag anyway...

This is the default colour layout for phpBB 3.0, btw.... this means mostly that in a few months, every forum will look like this for a while, until someone deploys an easy way to change the whole look...

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

phpBB 3.0.0 was finally released today. We've been having fun with the "release candidates" so far, but now we've got "the real thing" ;)

Return to “General Discussion”