Franchulates

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Franchulates

Post by Sudane Erato »

Sleazy_Writer wrote:
Sleazy_Writer wrote:

Please point me to the (legal) text, applicable in franchulates, that prevents you from implementing this rent-and-tenants model.
I think there's nothing holding you back.

Sudane,

Since you haven't answered this question, I take it there is indeed no legal reason that hold you back,
but only the practical problems you see and posted about in your last post.

--Sleazy.

Yes, thats exactly right. And only the fact that in forum discussions going back to the founding of Neualtenburg, the issue of tenant citizens has been repeatedly raised, and then rejected, by the considerable majority of opinions expressed.

CDS law NL 5-4 certainly provides a legal basis to proceed with establishing franchulates. I've suggested that its flawed. Somehow, ultimately, it seems to me that "practical problems" are really what matters.

Sudane.............

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

I largely concur with Sudane, although for slightly different reasons.

Saying that 'only the practical matters remain' to adopting a tenant model is a bit like saying there's nothing actually preventing us from expulsion-on-sight of anyone wearing a chicken hat. It may be literally true but tragically misses the point.

A very big draw of the CDS from the Neualtenburg days on was that you did not rent. Yes, I hand money to Rudeen every month like I would in a rental, but the mechanics of how it works in practice make it philosophically closer to 'owning'. (With the given of Linden god-power, since they have little interest in really 'governing'.)

I am opposed to the idea of effectively turning the CDS into yet another land baron, even in part or in the limited condition of the mainland... but then again, I've generally held that the CDS cannot properly function on the mainland with our current assumptions. The Mainland is the "Linden Labs Estate", and the best we can ever hold is tenant status there.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Sudane and Aliasi --

I understand (and even share, to some extent) your reservations about Franchulates and expansion of the CDS to the mainland.

However, I think that the Franchulate concept is interesting. I made my proposal to test it. The problems raised in response to the Franchulate proposals have (for the most part ) been theoretical objections to Franchulates in general without reference to the specific proposals (which set out a wide range of potential kinds of Franchulates).

The theories seem reasonable -- even persuasive -- but with the current proposals we actually have the means to truth-test them. Do Franchulates pencil (that is -- appear to be potentially profitable)? Let's see if the current proposals pencil. Do Franchulates create unacceptably unweildy estate owner or regulatory responsibilities? Let's see what those responsibilities would be under the current proposals.

Beathan Vale

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Exactly.

(Btw., a co-op community as landlord is quite different from a profit oriented person as landlord, the historical 'no renting' argument doesn't apply.)

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Is there a way that everyone involved could feel good about the CDS having a mainland Franchulate, for example Sudane and Aliasi?

If we created something new, how would we like it to be?

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

That is a good question, Sonja!
As far as i understood, Aliasi recommends to keep away from the mainland (except the Anzere infohub) as long as Linden Labs does not offer estate options there, because this is the layer of governance the CDS is based upon. And it is true, if you check the region/estate window on a not protected mainland parcel, LL pretends to be the estate owner "nobody" - and i guess nothing will ever change that. So, if Aliasi does not change her mind, she will never feel good about it ;) - Aliasi?

In effect the mainland parcel owner has the same options like us with our cds parcels, with the important difference that the Citizenry itself governs the Sim.
I see 3 Layers of Control, trying to avoid all the metaphors ("owner", "tenant" and so on):

1. the "World", run by Linden Labs,
2. Estates (=1 to x Regions) are in 2 cases administered on the Region/Estate level - private Islands and Mainland if protected. The rest of the Mainland has no administration on Estate Level but is ruled by LL directly (if ever). If you say "so what?" tell me, for example, how to stick a covenant to a Mainland parcel! It is not possible.
3. Parcels, controlled via "About Land" by individuals or groups.

Because Mainland "franchulates" have no Region/Estate level administration the relation Parcel Owner / Owner of the Landholding group - Member with less control must be defined in a way that reflects the relation Government - Citizen.

Now there are 2 very different applications on the table, Beathan offers a houseboat community in statu nascendi, Sleazy a beautiful single owner retreat.

We should be clear about that: if the parcels are accepted as suggested the CDS becomes a parcel owner on the mainland, on the same level like a Citizen is a parcelowner in the CDS. And this would be in accordance to the law, flawed or not, intended or not.

If the CDS owns Mainland parcels, what status will the inhabitants of the parcels gain? Sleazy: Tenant/Citizens on Mainland good, Tenant/Citizens on Island bad?

If you look up what "Franchulate" (=franchise + consulate) means in Snow Crash: Under the conditions of failed states private corporations have taken over, providing quasigovernmental roles for a fee on small properties... sorry, i do not follow this metaphor, and i do not follow this model, Snow crash is a different story, and we are not the mafia.

But i follow sudane here:

A "franchise" in RL is an entity (a business) owned by the person who operates it... it's realtionship to the umbrella company is one of licensee. The owner pays a regular fee, or makes other regular commitments of money, to the umbrella organization in exchange for benefits received from that relationship.

And Dnate:

In order for this to work the right way, we need to make the people on the mainland "buy" their land and still pay the monthly fee. Then people will "own" the land, and they should be no different then anyone else within the CDS.

Let me sort that out for Sleazy's case (speculation now):

The CDS wants a foothold on the Mainland, but it does not want to sink money there. Furthermore the CDS does not want second class tenant citizens and refuses to run multiple rental areas through the EO.
The Mainland Resident wants to be a Citizen, and wants to keep as much Parcel-Owner control as possible, additional the benefit of low tier.

Let us forget about the SL buttons for a moment and think of a contract:
The Mainland Resident purchases a parcel, develops it and applies to the CDS. The CDS executive becomes co-owner of the parcel, and tier is processed through it: Citizen pays tax via city exchange and takes advantage of the LL tier discount. That is win-win, no?
In a situation that equals to reclaiming the parcel on the Islands, the CDS withdraws from co-ownership. Simple enough? Sleazy? (the houseboat community may be more complicated... Beathan?)

Ah, and by the way... we could need a victim as civil servant who seeks group membership on the Mainland. I do not get why the Estate Owner should own mainland parcels. Two jobs per person, that may happen, but three? Is there any limit?

Tell me if this is nonsense and if not: how it could work with the SL-buttons. And if the law can be adapted without starting from scratch. Or tear it apart, interesting anyway

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

For those interested in franchulates:

Working on my proposed franchulate has been delayed during the past three weeks (when the ball was in my court).
But the plot is still there (wonderful WindLight water) and I still want to work on it and get it done.

- - Slz.

For Moon's new post about Alpine Meadow work groups, see here

Trying to make this mainland parcel part of the CDS: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tethys/64/158/72/
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

The past days, I've been thinking about the number of SL projects that I'm involved in, it seems like a lot to me. Considering that I need to do my bit for Alpine Meadow and considering that I'm also involved in CDS politics . . . This franchulate proposal will probably get delayed * a lot * .
But, . . still not abandoning the effort :-)

Trying to make this mainland parcel part of the CDS: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tethys/64/158/72/
michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

I'm getting the feeling you're closing in to another one of your periodical "I'm sick of it and leaving" periods.... grins

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

As usual, it's so interesting to hear what you have to say.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

Thanks!

Crosses his fingers, hoping....

LOL

Return to “Sim and City Planning”