Voter Registration Deadline

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Voter Registration Deadline

Post by Claude Desmoulins »

This is yet another thing we forgot. We have to have one, as poor Flyingroc needs at least a few days before polls open to enter and verify all the citizen information in the database. Thoughts?

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Doesn't the register of land owners in Neufreistadt act as our electoral register? I would have thought that the eligible voters would be those who owned land on a certain date.

Perhaps today, 30 June, as this is the deadline for notifying the SC of willingness to serve in the RA.

Or, if you wish to be generous since this issue has only just been raised :), 8 July - one week before the polls open?

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Yes, the land register gives us who is on the voter rolls. The only question is when to set the cutoff date.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I feel there are three issues determined here.

1) The list of persons eligible to vote. This is determined as Patroklus has said, by whomever owns land. I suggest that to avoid any chance of "interests" packing the vote, we set the date comfortably before the election. Like... tomorrow July 1. Or, even possibly before today, like June 15, which was one month before the vote. The issue is that there should be no issue. Who votes is a simple matter of who is a citizen, with their monthly fee payments in good standing. I'm ready to provide to Flyingroc that list immediately.

2) The issue of which faction you below to, if any, and.....

3) The issue of whether you are willing to serve. These are related issues in that the needed information can come only from the individual themselves. Indeed, the individual may make their own decision about these questions only in the course of the election. So, I feel its quite appropriate to hold that door open until the last moment. If polls open the 15th, I'd suggest that each individual's decision regarding these two matters is made by 6:00 PM SLT on Thursday July 13.

Sudane

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The deadline for willingness to serve is set constitutionally per Article IV as amended at 15 days before the polls open, which happens to be today.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

The RA should definitely approve a bill to the effect.

Failing that, we can establish arbitrarily the day to be "today", since it coincides with the "willingness to serve" deadline (and for that, the SC ought to have a complete record of registered citizens anyway).

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Return to “General Discussion”