Suggestion: Political Debates during the election campaign

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Suggestion: Political Debates during the election campaign

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hi,

As a private citizen, I'd love to know if the factions running for elections would be willing to have an open, public meeting, moderated by a third party, where they could answer some questions and present their views on certain aspects of their respective political agendas for the upcoming elections.

I think this would complement the debates going on on the forums at the moment, with an advantage — some questions would need to be answered "on the spot", which makes things much more livelier :) Contrast opinions on the newspaper ("forums") with debates on TV. There is a place for each and both of them :)

There are several possible models for doing this, but since almost everyone in Neufreistadt has a political alignment — even if many are not interested in the political side of Neufreistadt — one possible solution would be to have a non-citizen (and someone who is also not a frequent visitor of Neufreistadt) moderating the debate.

I asked around for some opinions from a good acquaintance of mine, Jeannedelalune Prudhomme, who has some experience in dealing with planned communities in SL, and has also some experience with organising these things. While her advise can be always discarded, at this point, the best option seems to be to ask each faction if they're interesting in setting up this debate and getting in touch with each other to suggest a model for doing it.

There is not really much time to agree on a format, so I'd like to know from other fellow citizens what do they think about this idea. One thing that comes to mind is that this could be set up as a regular event, and probably even attract some curious visitors :) Salzie could even perhaps attract the attention of the newspapers in SL... and it should be good PR for us overall :)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Suggestion: Political Debates during the election campaign

Post by Sonja Strom »

Is anyone working on organising debates for the election?

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

As we have for all elections in recent memory, the executive staff (PIO and Chancellor) are working to facilitate formal debates between the factions. We will also schedule a CDS "meet the candidates" event, as the debates are between factions only, and all candidates for RA do not participate. The schedule will be posted soon.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Perfect, thank you. :)

Sleazy2009
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Sleazy2009 »

Good luck with the election guys! :D