RA Transcripts

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

RA Transcripts

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

Who is in charge of preparing and posting RA meeting transcripts these days? I'd like to see what has been happening of late, and on a timely basis.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: RA Transcripts

Post by Beathan »

Justice --

That is a problem arising from the RA not having an LRA. We are going to try to appoint an interim LRA pending midterm elections. Then we will eitgher change the way an LRA is selected (to selction by vote of the RA or somesuch) and choose a new LRA from that process, or, if we lack a Constitutional supermajority behind any reform, we will use the outcome of the midterm election we are authorizing to fill the seats vacated by the CSDF to select the LRA (leader of the highest voted faction in the midterm would be LRA).

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Beathan wrote:

That is a problem arising from the RA not having an LRA. We are going to try to appoint an interim LRA pending midterm elections. Then we will eitgher change the way an LRA is selected (to selction by vote of the RA or somesuch) and choose a new LRA from that process, or, if we lack a Constitutional supermajority behind any reform, we will use the outcome of the midterm election we are authorizing to fill the seats vacated by the CSDF to select the LRA (leader of the highest voted faction in the midterm would be LRA).

Hmm. Not sure that's the most appropriate way to select the LRA for this go-around. For example, what if one seat went to nuCARE and one to DPU, with DPU getting more votes in the midterm? nuCARE would then have 3 seats, DPU 2....but DPU would be the leading party? What if CSDF won one seat and Simplicity won one but CSDF had more votes? Then CSDF would be the "leading party" with Simplicity sitting with three seats and nuCARE with two? Can't imagine how that would work!

Perhaps for this midterm it would be better to have the RA choose the LRA by consensus....

Cindy

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

Under the current consitution, wouldn't the seat go to either Beathan (as the remaining member of the faction with the most votes (sans CSDF))?

In my mind the way things go is this:

1.) CSDF had the highest ranking, CSDF gets to seat the LRA -- it's Pat, since he got the most votes.
2.) CSDF quit the RA, this leaves SP as the faction with the highest Borda ranking -- Brian is LRA, since he has the highest borda score among the SP members.
3.) Brian quits the RA, leaving Beathan the only member of SP, since the SP did not quit en-masse, SP retains the LRA seat, so Beathan is "it".
4.) Jamie takes the empty SP RA seat. Since neither Beathan nor Jamie were ranked in the last elections, SP could possibly do a ranking of Beathan vs Jamie as to who becomes LRA.

But as of right now, IMHO, Beathan is LRA.

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Gosh, this was just a simple question about who might post transcripts of recent RA meetings and those that might happen in the immediate future, NOT a question about LRA succession. isn't there an RA archivist or someone who can do this?

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Pat posted the last two RA transcripts on the wiki, so the wiki should have up-to-date RA meeting transcritps here:

http://www.aliasi.us/nburgwiki/tiki-ind ... ranscripts

And I guess that means there really isn't an RA archivist, just folks who are volunteering for this thankless job ;-).

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

It is also my understanding that normally the position of LRA would have passed to Beathan under the rules, but he has declined to accept it. He has told the Representative Assembly this in person, but has also made at least two posts in the Forum I can think of describing his decision. One is here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1674
and one is in the last paragraph of this post: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 675#p10344

As Beathan is currently the only RA member representing the Simplicity Party (the party with the highest borda count in the RA), we have been left temporarily without an LRA. In the RA meeting today (Monday), Jamie should be sworn in to fill the seat vacated by Brian, at which point under the rules he will receive the LRA position.

It is also my understanding that, without an LRA, there has been no one in a position to officially post the RA transcripts.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Now the meeting has completed, and we have a new RA member and LRA by the name of Jamie Palisades. :D

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Now that I've read the transcripts, it seems that what the RA needs is not Roberts Rules of Order, but a code of civility. The RA has always had a tradition of heated debate, but the name-calling that I've seen in recent meetings is not just inappropriate, it casts all of the CDS in a bad light.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Justice, would you please cite an example from the transcripts to demonstrate what you are talking about?

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Speaking of transcripts does anyone have a link to the very last one?

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jamie Palisades »

@Justice: With apologies to Sonja (who is herself exemplary) I agree, the tone of RA debate often was disappointing lately. Let's see if we can improve.
@Roc: 24 March 2008 transcript is here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1695
The earlier ones are indexed on the wiki at the URI noted earlier in this thread.
Regards JP

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Jamie

Thank you for posting the transcript from last week's meeting. I'll cut and paste it to the wiki when I get the chance. [Done!]

If you contact Aliasi she should be able to set you up with an account and password pretty quickly. Posting the transcripts had me flummoxed the first time I tried it but was pretty easy thereafter (if you're more familiar with tekki-wiki magic you might find it easier than I did in any case).

In response to your point in another thread about governments getting on fine without wikis, there is a good reason why we preserve the transcripts on the wiki instead of on the forums. The wiki acts as a resource for the community (and for those who are interested in what we're trying to achieve) so having all the RA transcripts in one place makes it a lot easier to find them and work out what decisions have been taken. When you, or the RA Archivist should one be appointed, need to update our Code of Laws or the Constitution you'll be thankful that the RA transcripts are all in one place! It makes life much easier.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Jamie,

Thanks for noting the tone of recent RA meetings, and working hard at the last one at improving it! I'm much obliged to see a more functional RA.

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: RA Transcripts (& thanks again)

Post by Jamie Palisades »

Thanks, Pat, agree entirely that it's helpful to have the collected. Until I get an account on the wiki, also, thanks again (as we noted in the last RA minutes) to you for voluntarily bringing the transcript mountains to the wiki Muhammed JP

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”