Civility and maturity (from Jamie)

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Re: Civility and maturity (from Jamie)

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

Cindy, thanks for your post. I am very much the define-the-terms-first type, but it is very useful for those of us in that category to remind ourselves that the define-the-terms-later types abound. Thanks for pointing out the distinction. In fact, I think this is very much to the point of Beathan's observation that there are serious disputes among us about who we are and where we are going. Some would have the destination specified in advance, while others simply enjoy the journey. Appreciating the differences is important.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Civility and maturity (from Jamie)

Post by Beathan »

Cindy, Justice --

Good points all. Ironically, I am generally a "define terms first, but keep an open mind to allow for redefinition as needed" person, too. (I believe, based your respective demonstrations of flexibility of mind, that you will not object to my caveat.)

As such, I was very gung-ho about the CDS definition and strategic planning discussions that were ongoing when I first arrived here. I found that the issue was more complicated than a simple division into those who enjoy the journey and those who need a destination. In fact, there was substantial disagreement about destinations. People in our community want very different things -- and have very different goals.

I know that my personal objects are not universally shared -- and are actually incompatible with some citizen's conceptions or definitions of the CDS. However, I have come to the conclusion (perhaps wrong) that a community can reach incompatible destinations simultaneously, provided it allow individual action and provided that it does not foreclose possibilities by over-definition and over-planning. This is a paradox -- but I think a real one. It is for this reason, rather than any particular enjoymenty I get from random journeys, that leads me to oppose proposals, like Salzie's, to define our community. Any definition will define some people out of our project -- and I want to keep everyone here and engaged (if a little off-balanced, challenged, and pin-pricked).

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”