Zero-Based Borda Counts

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Zero-Based Borda Counts

Post by Jon Seattle »

Flying Roc asked about zero-based Borda counts. As in the prior election, it does not make a difference. But if you are curious here they are:

DPU (Borda Score = 56, seats = 1)
---
Flyingroc Chung

CSDF (Borda Score = 48, seats = 1)
----
Gwyneth Llewelyn

NuCARE (Borda Score = 25, seats = 0)
------
Cindy Ecksol

The software applies the Sainte-Laguë with the numbers from scratch (for each method of computing). In neither case did it change the outcome. For a very long and detailed look at the difference please see the postings on this issue that occurred after the prior election:

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... t=15#p9693

I much prefer the zero-based method, but much of the literature I find on the subject uses one-based Borda and the current law is that the constitution be read literally. Claude has a copy of the (anonymous, random ordered) votes and the software used to do the calculations. It would be a good idea to change to zero-based calculations for future elections.

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: Zero-Based Borda Counts

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

Although the constitution is not exactly clear on this, we have historically used a variant of the Borda system (aside from the past two elections) that weighted the lowest-ranked with 0 points. The idea was that in a two-faction election, we would end up with a straight St. Lague allocation of seats. Here's an old post of Ulrika's (back in 2005) where she stated as much:
http://forums.secondlife.com/showthread.php?t=56741

Ulrika posted the equation we used as:

Below is a summary of the results for the vote. As you know, factions were rated from 1 to 3 with more "points" going to those who were higher rated. The equation which calculates the score gives the highest ranked faction a "1" and the lowest ranked faction a "0". Factions in between receive fractional amounts. The equation is

score = (number_of_factions - rank) / (number_of_factions - 1)

Since AFAIK, Ulrika was essentially the SC at that time, I've in the past assumed that this way of counting is constitutional. When we did the first 3-faction elections in 2006, Ulrika raised the counting issue again, and note that in this discussion, we assumed that last place had 0 points:
http://forums.secondlife.com/showthread.php?t=82946

In the Jan 2007 elections, I again reiterated that we used a 0-based counting (with a slight change to use integer rather than fractional counting):
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 5231#p5231

So we have here on the one hand historically one way of counting borda scores, and on the other hand a different one based on Jon's more literal interpretation of the constitution (0-based borda scores are unusual, which can possibly be interpreted as not really a borda count; I'm not sure I agree with this, but *shrug*. (note also that 0-based and 1-based ranking do not matter in a winner-take-all environment))

Since Jon prefers 0-based counting, and since we have historically done 0-based counting anyway, I'm going to propose that we use the 0-based count from now on. I think we can do this as regular law (no need for a constitutional amendment) by defining a standard ranking for borda counts in the CDS.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Zero-Based Borda Counts

Post by Beathan »

I agree. We have explored this issue in the election committee -- and I think that the zero-based count argument has been well justified there.

I would like to hold a "lessons learned from the by-election" meeting after next week's RA. I hope all interested folks can make it -- especially those who have information about what happened in the by-election from which we can glean information.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.

Return to “General Discussion”