Constitutional Amendment Article I, Section 6: Referenda

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":24l2lr9c]

• [b:24l2lr9c][i:24l2lr9c]1. Does the RA believe we need referenda for constitutional amendments?[/i:24l2lr9c][/b:24l2lr9c]
    Up until now we have functioned as a representative democracy and have resisted attempts to include elements of direct democracy in our system of government. It could be argued that the introduction of referenda into that system goes against the founding spirit on which the community was based. If I understand Gwyn's (personal) opinion correctly she would prefer not to have any referenda at all.

I think we need to acknowledge that many real world representative democracies employ referenda for settling some political issues, including constitutional questions. I can think of the example of the UK's referendum on continued membership of the EEC in the 1970s and the Scottish referendum on devolution of power to a Scottish Parliament more recently. So the use of referenda cannot be held to undermine representative democracy, at least in the real world.

Gwyn also pointed to referenda as a conservative influence. People dislike and distrust change, so the argument goes, and so any system that relies on popular assent in a referendum is likely to ossify and be unable to keep pace with the times. I think this is a potentially strong argument but it would mean that we don't trust our citizens to see the benefit of a change for the better. Are we really that pessimistic about the capacity of people to embrace necessary changes? Given that some citizens are complaining that the pace of constitutional reform (at least during this RA session) is too fast, wouldn't demanding popular agreement to such changes ensure that they really had popular support? Otherwise an activist RA, and a complicit or negligent SC, could lead to wholesale constitutional revision that does not command popular support.[/quote:24l2lr9c]

On this point, I see differential entrenchment as I suggested above as not only a useful compromise between the different positions, but a way to acheive the correct balance between (1) stability, and providing a potentially important check on the power of the Representative Assembly to prevent it from doing undesirable things (such as abolishing rival factions or extending its own term of office or purporting to suspend the entire constiution), and (2) the ability to adapt and change as circumstances dictate. So, the most important parts of the constitution (those that provide for regular elections, the right to join or make political factions, the right to propose legislation, and that safeguard the independence and impartiality of the judiciary for example), should be entrenched by referenda, whilst the more operational elements (those that provide for the powers of the executive, or for legislative procedure, for example) should remain in their present, lightly-entrenched state. A degree of conservatism and stability, as long as it is not so great to become an unthinking reluctance to change anything, for the sake of not changing anything, has disctinct merits, especially since what we are trying to do is carve out in the anarchic world that is SecondLife a place of law, order and stability for those who prefer their virtual worlds structured, ordered and not ever-changing.

[quote:24l2lr9c][b:24l2lr9c][i:24l2lr9c]2. Does the RA want to exercise control over how referenda are presented to the electorate?[/i:24l2lr9c][/b:24l2lr9c]
    We could allow citizens to vote on each and every constitutional amendment independantly of each other. The problem is that this could lead to overlapping or contradictory amendments being passed. I know that many (including probably the majority of the RA) would prefer to give citizens the most control possible over what gets passed or not. But I haven't seen anyone say how you would address this potential problem. If you want to give citizens full control, what are you going to do if they pass contradictory amendments? For example, if they were to be presented with one of Ash's earlier drafts of the Judiciary Bill and Justice's amendments, what would you do if they passed a combination of the two and we ended up with a constitutional dog's dinner?[/quote:24l2lr9c]

Probably a sensible compromise on this area is to have the Representative Assembly put one yes/no package for vote for each [i:24l2lr9c]area[/i:24l2lr9c] of change, rather than for each little question of the proposal, so, for example, there would be one vote as to whether to have a chancellor, one vote as to whether to have a professional judiciary, and so forth.

[quote:24l2lr9c][b:24l2lr9c][i:24l2lr9c]3. Should the referenda be fixed to an arbitrary timetable e.g. at election time?[/i:24l2lr9c][/b:24l2lr9c]
    I've covered the arguments for and against this in previous posts. Do those who want to fix the timetable think that it would have been acceptable to wait for Jan 07 to get a Chancellor or a Judicial system? If not, we need to give the RA the choice of when to call referenda.

[b:24l2lr9c][i:24l2lr9c]4. Should constitutional amendments passed by referenda take effect immediately or at the start of the next RA session?[/i:24l2lr9c][/b:24l2lr9c]
    The answer depends partly on your answer to question 3. Assuming you agree with me that the RA should be able to choose when to call referenda you might still believe that they should not take effect until a new RA is installed. That way an RA cannot 'benefit' from any changes they approve.

I think this is super-cautious and unnecessary. If a constitutional amendment has been passed by a 2/3 majority of our elected representatives, approved as constitutional by the SC and passed by popular vote, it should take effect immediately; it would clearly have passed with sufficient support.[/quote:24l2lr9c]

It would probably be disasterous for the constitution to force what could be extremely important and highly desirable changes to wait up to six months, and I see no reason why that should ever be necessary. What good could such delay do?

[quote:24l2lr9c][b:24l2lr9c][i:24l2lr9c]6. Should there be different levels of protection for different parts of the Constitution?[/i:24l2lr9c][/b:24l2lr9c]
    I can see why this might be necessary but I suspect that agreeing the levels of entrenchment appropriate to different parts of the Constitution is a long discussion! Coming so soon on the heels of extended constitutional debate are we really up for this?[/quote:24l2lr9c]

We should be careful not to avoid doing something that might give us great benefits merely because it looks like hard work. Given that differential entrenchment has the opportunity to give us a very carefully balanced constitution with just the right degree of conservatism, we should not pass up an opportunity to work on it merely because it will take some time. All good things come to those who wait (and work).

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

Pat has made a valuable contribution in identifying the issues and some possible solutions. Let me make another couple

[b:2snxt5c6]Should we consider non-binding refferenda?[/b:2snxt5c6]

The RA is making important changes to our structure (adding an executive and the current judiciary bill), and although I support them, I do worry that we may lack a consensus among the citizens. We could, for example, place on the next ballot a non-binding question such as "do you support adoption of the Judiciary Bill", which would help give guidance to the RA.

[b:2snxt5c6]Should we include recall of officials?[/b:2snxt5c6]

Examples of direct democracy include initiative (citizen-proposed legislation or amendments), referrendum (citizen ratification), and recall (turning out officials before their term expires). When the mayor of our town was facing a recall election, the mayor of a nearby town said "I'd rather be remembered than recalled". Usually initiative, referrendum & recall require significant numbers of citizens to petition to have the question placed on the ballot.

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Claude Desmoulins »

Disclaimer: A couple of these questions are phrased
"Does the RA....". Despite my membership , in answering them I speak only for myself.

1. Does the RA believe we need referenda for constitutional amendments?

Keep in mind that idea of the referendum came up in connection with a proposal to remove the SC's ability to veto constitutional amendments passed by the RA. Some of us are quite concerned about an unelected body that is able to stop all change.

The problem with just removing the SC veto is that it still leaves you in the position where a very few people can change the constitution. It's an improvement because at least those people are accountable to the voters.

The referendum was originally proposed as a replacement for the SC as a check on constitutional change.

2. Does the RA want to exercise control over how referenda are presented to the electorate?

Yes. I'm not comfortable with a ballot initiative process and much prefer the idea that both the RA and the citizenry must approve amendments. By making the RA go first in the process, you can lessen the likelihood of conflicting amendments on the referendum ballot. If the RA won't pass an amendment the citizens want, the citizens can vote the RA out at the next election.

3. Should the referenda be fixed to an arbitrary timetable e.g. at election time?

I'm not convinced of the need to set it in stone, that said:
a) Without some limits, an RA could overwhelm the citizens with a referendum a week (think Switzerland)

b)I think it's desireable to prevent the RA from passing an amendment, seeing it voted down, changing three words, and putting it up again the next week.

c) We have trouble getting all our citizens to vote now. Limiting the frequency of referenda and/or tying their scheduling to other elections will, I believe, help voter turnout.

4. Should constitutional amendments passed by referenda take effect immediately or at the start of the next RA session?

This depends on 3. If referenda are semi annual this is probably unnecessary. If they can be at any time, something like this might be good in that it would, as Pat, I think, said, prevent an RA from benefitting from an amendment which increases its power.

5. What degree of popular support should be necessary for referenda to pass?

It's almost inevitable that one thinks of this question in terms of what proportion of the whole citizenry must express support for a proposal in order for it to be affirmed. The big reason to not phrase it in that language (50%+1 of all citizens must vote yes) is that it should be difficult to scuttle a referendum by not voting. In that respect, I'd prefer a lower voter turnout threshold with a higher approval threshold to the reverse.

6. Should there be different levels of protection for different parts of the Constitution?

Perhaps, but please not too many.

7. Should these changes be approved by a referendum?

I wouldn't object to that, although it would make a mess of any amendments to pass the RA after this one during this terms. Would the approval process for those amendments include a referendum or not? Would the answer to that question be dependent on the results of the referendum hypothesized by question 7?

8.Should we consider non-binding referenda?

I don't object to these per se, although it seems a long and complex process for what is essentially a gathering of opinion.

9. Should we include recall of officials?

Having see what happened in the California gubernatorial recall, I'm not a fan of this. Impeachment provides protection against gross misdeeds. Otherwise, the voters should live with the decision they carefully make until the next election, IMHO.

Also, the length of RA term is not, at the moment, constitutionally set. It is a matter of regular legislation. I have previously proposed giving it constitutional status. This was rejected in the name of flexibility and with the argumentthat an RA which sought to extend its term too much would be impeached.

Fernando Book
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Fernando Book »

[b:1bk3ftbq]1. Does the RA believe we need referenda for constitutional amendments?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
I agree with the idea of different levels of entrenchment (and I think that two of them are enough), one with referendum and another without it. But I throw another idea: that a referendum on a amendment must be called if a number of the citizens (perhaps a 15%?) ask for it after a period (of two weeks?). That provision shouldn't be used on ordinary laws.

[b:1bk3ftbq]2. Does the RA want to exercise control over how referenda are presented to the electorate?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
Yes, but the RA should present to vote minimum logical units. Example: the Judiciary Bill should be voted as a whole, but, if in the Judiciary Bill was included another very different issue (say, a couple of paragraphs on citizenship), it should be voted apart.

[b:1bk3ftbq]3. Should the referenda be fixed to an arbitrary timetable e.g. at election time?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
I would only leave to election time Amendments that would change the very elections, as poll systems, citizenship requirements, and so on.

[b:1bk3ftbq]4. Should constitutional amendments passed by referenda take effect immediately or at the start of the next RA session?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
It should take immediate effect.

[b:1bk3ftbq]5. What degree of popular support should be necessary for referenda to pass?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
One half plus one of the citizenry to have quorum, and one half plus one of the outcome to pass. After all, the Amendment has the support of the RA.

[b:1bk3ftbq]6. Should there be different levels of protection for different parts of the Constitution?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
I like the idea of a couple of two levels of entrenchments, but they could be avoided if we have a cautious lawmaking, leaving the Constitution for general provisions, a lot of times followed (or preceded) by the sentence: "A law will regulate this.". Aliasi's proposal on Compensation for Governmental Positions is a good example.

[b:1bk3ftbq]7. Should these changes be approved by a referendum?[/b:1bk3ftbq]
Yes.

[b:1bk3ftbq]8. Should we consider non-binding refferenda? [/b:1bk3ftbq]
Non binding referenda are a political mess, except when the RA needs guidance on a very open question. There's nothing worst that a government (or a majority in an assembly) that loses a referendum.

9. Should we include recall of officials?
I think that impeachment process is enough.

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Yes, I believe it's time for the "referendum Question" to again rear its head. Ergo....bump.

Just to refresh.

I believe we should have referenda on all constitutional amendments which take place simultaneously with RA General elections. Others feel differently.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

Referenda on constitutional matters are something we should indeed consider. However, such referenda held at the same time with RA elections will result in transforming the elections on debates about referenda only - something that would not do justice to many other issues of governance that electi0ns should decide. We need to think carefully how to structure this.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

[quote="Claude Desmoulins":2irvvesf]Yes, I believe it's time for the "referendum Question" to again rear its head. Ergo....bump.

Just to refresh.

I believe we should have referenda on all constitutional amendments which take place simultaneously with RA General elections. Others feel differently.[/quote:2irvvesf]Claude, you don't say *why* you think it's right to raise this question again. When I drafted this proposal many months ago we were in the middle of multiple constitutional amendments and many citizens were concerned about the pace and extent of change. Instead of referenda (which are a fairly uninvolving, blunt instrument) we developed the 'Commission' model for improving citizen involvement.

What's the motivation for reviving this idea?

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

We defeat the purpose of having a constitution superior to acts of the legislature in general if that constitution is not significantly harder to alter than the ordinary legislation to which it is supposed to be superior.

Right now that's not the case. It takes one more vote to change the constitution than to pass an ordinary bill. When last this issue came up, people were reacting to a slew of structural changes. Even with commissions, it would be easy to have another slew of changes.

We now have a governmental structure that is fairly stable and functional. Now is a good time to look at how we do structural changes.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Claude - The following Constitutional Amendment of yours was submitted to today's RA meeting (but not discussed because of lack of time).

--------------------------------
Add the following to Article I section 6

Following ratification by the Scientific Council, all constitutional amendments are subject to citizen ratification via a referendum. The referendum will be held simultaneously with the next general election for the RA unless a motion to schedule the referendum at another time is approved by unanimous vote of the Representative Assembly and Scientific Council with the Executive concurring.

In order to be ratified, more than 50% if citizens eligible to vote must cast ballots and the proposed amendment must be approved on more than 2/3 of ballots cast in the referendum.
--------------------------------

When we discussed this last I suggested a set of questions to structure the debate. These were:
[list:27gttfh5]1. Does the RA believe we need referenda for constitutional amendments?

2. Does the RA want to exercise control over how referenda are presented to the electorate?

3. Should the referenda be fixed to an arbitrary timetable e.g. at election time?

4. Should constitutional amendments passed by referenda take effect?

5. What degree of popular support should be necessary for referenda to pass?

6. Should there be different levels of protection for different parts of the Constitution?

7. Should these changes be approved by a referendum? [/list:u:27gttfh5]I think your proposal makes clear the conclusions you have come to on these questions. I don't have time to consider right now but will come back to this tomorrow after a good night's sleep! I wanted to post this now so that others could see, and comment on, the proposal under discussion.

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Since the RA discussion has moved to forums, I´m bumping this thread.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”