Forum for the CDS Artisan Guild

Moderator: SC Moderators

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The CDS Flag

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay, but finally here we have the CDS flag. I am uploading several files.
This is the geometry of the flag, defined by relations to Hoist (height) and Fly (length). I have chosen the same proportion as the USA flag, not only because Dianne's original drawing came close to that, as also i prefer more elongated flags.

This is the Flag proper:

(also if you ever need to resize it well, here's an EPS: http://temp.betatechnologies.info/Moon/ ... S_Flag.eps)

The colour scheme is:

Argent (white): RGB: 255, 255, 255 Web: ffffff CMYK: 0, 0, 0, 0
Sable (black): RGB: 0, 0, 0 Web: 000000 CMYK: 75, 68, 67,90
Azure (blue): RGB: 0,114,188 Web: 0072bc CMYK: 87, 52, 0, 0
Or (yellow): RGB: 255, 242, 0 Web: fff200 CMYK: 4, 0, 93, 0

And finally, a temptative blazon so the flag is correctly described in our legislation:

Per fess azure and argent, a shield sable with an owl of the second; on the first quarter, four five-pointed stars or.

"An owl of the second" means in this case an owl argent, the rules of blazon indicating that if possible, the names of metals/colours should not be repeated.

Bibliographic source: FOX-DAVIES, Arthur Charles, The Wordsworth Complete Guide To Heraldry, Wordstworth Reference, 1996, ISBN 1-85326-365-6

EDIT: had written azure et argent, instead of azure and argent eheheh... a slip into french. Now it's correct :)

Last edited by Moon Adamant on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eudaimonia now!
Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: The CDS Flag

Post by Rose Springvale »

Ah, thanks Moon. I'm disappointed that you chose not to make the flag symmettrical, but respect that you are the heraldry expert.

One question. On my screen the colors seem different than they have been in the past. Is that the case?

Thanks for your work.
Rose

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hi, i tried to use Claude's idea of showing the 4 bright stars in the sky... thus the asymmetry. I used as base a file picked up in the forums discussion where it was the more consensual version for a 4-star version. Personally, i prefer that heraldic designs are more hmmm 'dynamic'. Since as our charge is a shield with an owl, and the owl is displayed in its usual depiction, it's a rather static thing... thus i like to have the dynamism on the stars. If we had, say, a dragon rampant without a shield, i could have worked it otherwise and chosen then to place the stars crossed over a canton, say.

As to the colours, i used two standard Photoshop swatches, Pure Yellow and Pure Cyan Blue, for two reasons:
1. They are standard Photoshop swatches, meaning that anyone wanting to derive something out of this flag can easily get the right tones (though i specified them also in three systems);
2. The blue in particular, i used a more saturated and darker tone than Dianne had, because this is more similar to general depictions of azure.

I am planning also (when i have time) to create a pennant and maybe even a jack (ship flag), but in any case this is ready to be voted. :)

Eudaimonia now!
Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

I"m not sure about the benefit of pure photoshop color as it is very easy to match colors in photoshop. I'd like to request that we NOT adopt this color change. This is simply because so many things have already been built using the CDS colors.. everything from skis to coffee mugs to air taxis. It's not difficult to match the color, whatever it is, in photoshop, and i just want there to be consistency. We've worked very hard the last two years on branding...let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think RA actually voted for the 4 stars, so that wasn't a preference item. This design just makes it hard to do future adaptations, imho.

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Yes, the RA voted the 4 stars, and if i remember correctly (i was there but age takes its toil) in this disposition.

About the blue, it's easy to sawp back. I'll post a corrected version asap - it's really just a function in Photoshop to match the colour in the new design with my sample. Now what i hope is that my sample is correct. :)

Eudaimonia now!
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Still had the drawing open in Pshop... here it goes

http://temp.betatechnologies.info/Moon/ ... _Flag2.eps

Colours:

Argent (white): RGB: 255, 255, 255 Web: ffffff CMYK: 0, 0, 0, 0
Sable (black): RGB: 0, 0, 0 Web: 000000 CMYK: 75, 68, 67,90
Azure (blue): RGB:78,126,192 Web: 4c7ec0 CMYK: 73, 46, 0, 0
Or (yellow): RGB: 255, 242, 0 Web: fff200 CMYK: 4, 0, 93, 0

Blazon remains: Per fess azure and argent, a shield sable with an owl of the second; on the first quarter, four five-pointed stars or.

Eudaimonia now!

Return to “CDS Artisan Guild”