SIM crossing problems

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

SIM crossing problems

Post by Timo Gufler »

Do you have ever got frustrated when trying to walk from one sim to another? In CDS the border between Alpine Meadow and Monastery regions seem to be very problematic and sometimes it even seems like there was an invisible wall between them. This is not only problem in our sims but in all SL for many years. The problem has especially hurted the sailing community and it has been noticed how the problem has become worse and worse until now some famous ship designers start to be desperate with the problem.

If you would like to help, please, vote for the following ticket in the Second Life issue tracking system. LL has been quite passive with the problem but maybe enough voters would make them to change their priorities... Voting requires login with your Second Life username and password. Thank you!

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-472

Timo

Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Re: SIM crossing problems

Post by Soro Dagostino »

I agree! Thank you Timo, the sailing community owes you thanks for pointing this out. And for you landbound folk, try walking in the North Colonia Nova gate and see what you think.

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

A note regarding this problem. As of last year when the United Sailing Sims were moved to the Nautilus area of the mainland, it was acknowledged by all concerned in that project that at least a part of this problem was worsened when the sims you were crossing between were located on servers located in RL in different parts of the world. When that move was done, the Lindens agreed to locate all the USS sims in a single RL location (called by the techies "colocation", or "colo"), At least with the server version in use then (I'm not sure which it was)... that seemed to make a difference.

We;ve never requested that for the CDS sims, since walking or flying doesn't have the same narrow performance demands that sailing does. But we might want to consider it now that we have 11 sims. Of course, it appears that the problem is now 1000% worse with server version 1.27, so this step may not accomplaish anything.

Sudane.......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

its not the answer to all of the issues, but i found this torley tutorial a while back to at least being able to stop the 'falling through the floor' thing when you cross a sim~crossing on the ground. it doesn't help the lagg though. i haven't tested it yet, i will tonight an let ya know how it goes. i mean, if it works, it could at least make sim crossing a little bit less annoying for ground ravel...

here's the youtube tut:

if someone else could take a look and maybe give it a shot too, to confirm that it works for them too, or if it doesn't, we could confirm it faster and maybe learn more about it that way too.

thanks

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Wow, this is great Solomon! It seems like it could really help, at least with where the roads cross sims.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

No... we've utilized this trick for as long as i've been around. The sim cross issue we are experiencing now is different... though flying usually lets you at least get where you are going. It's definitely a LL thing.

Welcome back Solomon! good to see your name here again!

Junius Inaka
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Junius Inaka »

I am having problem crossing the sim borders as well. The problem occurs everytime I try to travel across different regions and the lag just makes any serious flying or driving all but impossible...

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Welcome to the CDS Forum, Junius!

I think Rose is right in saying this is a Linden Lab problem. I am having these difficulties with sim crossings everywhere I go in SL, just like in the CDS.

Return to “General Discussion”