Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Re: Adendum on Justice's amendments

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3gozb1z9]
Justice - did you deliberately omit that section, or was it a mistake? If you did omit it on purpose, why did you do so, and why did you not make express reference to the removal and the reasons for it in the discussion section? If it is a mistake, are you content that, whatever is decided on vis a vis the procedures for the selection of the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction and the Chair of the Judiciary Commission that the "as soon as practicable after a vacancy arises" requirement be in the Constitution?[/quote:3gozb1z9]

I didn't think it mattered as there is no way to enforce it, but I have no objection to included "as soon as practicable after a vacancy arises" in my proposed selection procedures.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":3olzk7wc]I didn't think it mattered as there is no way to enforce it, but I have no objection to included "as soon as practicable after a vacancy arises" in my proposed selection procedures.[/quote:3olzk7wc]

What about the first part of Article VII, Section 4, "Nothing in this constitution shall prevent the same person person from holding office as Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction and Chair of the Judiciary Commission, whether simultaneously or in succession", and the spelling of "judiciary" rather than "judicial" commission?

(I presume that you are working on responses to the substantive points, yes?)

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":17nr0qk2][quote="Justice Soothsayer":17nr0qk2]I didn't think it mattered as there is no way to enforce it, but I have no objection to included "as soon as practicable after a vacancy arises" in my proposed selection procedures.[/quote:17nr0qk2]

What about the first part of Article VII, Section 4, "Nothing in this constitution shall prevent the same person person from holding office as Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction and Chair of the Judiciary Commission, whether simultaneously or in succession", and the spelling of "judiciary" rather than "judicial" commission?[/quote:17nr0qk2]

I fully intented to separate the two roles, as I think that would be a useful check against possible abuses of power by the judiciary. It could be called the Judicial Commission or Judiciary Commission; it matters not a whit to me.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":37pyzhwc][quote="Aliasi Stonebender":37pyzhwc]... and comprised of people.

Believe me, Ashcroft, those of us who've been in the city for awhile have no illusions as to the fallbility of the SC.[/quote:37pyzhwc]

No institution or person is infallible, of course: the important thing is to find the best available institution for the job in question. In this case, for all the reasons given, the Scientific Council is the most appropriate body to appoint the Chair of the Judiciary Commission and the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction.[/quote:37pyzhwc]

I disagree, if you're intending to rely so heavily on an additional legal structure. Simply because the Scientific Council happens to most closely match the concept of a judicial branch currently does not make it the most appropriate body to appoint a judiciary. ([i:37pyzhwc]None[/i:37pyzhwc] of our branches follow the traditional Executive/Legislative/Judicial split, after all, save perhaps the RA.)

Judging is not the Scientific Council's primary purpose or function, but one forced onto it by default - the branch is called the 'philosophical' branch. Its purpose is to act as the cool heads, those with a deep understanding of the principles of the city, to balance out the passions of the moment. This is superficially similar to the role of a Supreme Court, save the Council does not require the formality of hearing a case to give an opinion. While anyone who's read my opinions in transcripts, on the old LL forum, or simply conversed with me at length in-world on the subject knows I have my peeves about the way the Council is currently structured and empowered, we must recognize it for what it is. It is by very deliberate design that the Council has almost no active powers, but merely reactive. It may veto, it may declare actions to be unconstitutional.

Because of this, I believe giving the Scientific Council sole power to appoint the judiciary simply because the Council is [i:37pyzhwc]kind[/i:37pyzhwc] of like a judicial branch if you squint at it real hard would be ill-advised. Those proposals that require involvement from other quarters sit much better with me.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":307615it]I fully intented to separate the two roles, as I think that would be a useful check against possible abuses of power by the judiciary. It could be called the Judicial Commission or Judiciary Commission; it matters not a whit to me.[/quote:307615it]

I am extremely disturbed that you have failed in your original post to explain the reasoning for this, and failed now to explain (1) how you intend to find the extra person to fill the post (especially given Jon's concerns about the resources), and (2) precisely [i:307615it]why[/i:307615it] you think that the combination of the two roles could realistically lead to abuses of power and which particular abuses of power you think that they would lead to. Do you have answers to those questions? If so, why have you not posted them already, and what are they? If you do not, why should an ill-considered objection stand against a well-considered proposal?

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":2j7gijgq]I disagree, if you're intending to rely so heavily on an additional legal structure.[/quote:2j7gijgq]

I am not sure that I follow here: what do you mean exactly by heavy reliance on additional legal structure?

[quote:2j7gijgq]Simply because the Scientific Council happens to most closely match the concept of a judicial branch currently does not make it the most appropriate body to appoint a judiciary. ([i:2j7gijgq]None[/i:2j7gijgq] of our branches follow the traditional Executive/Legislative/Judicial split, after all, save perhaps the RA.)

Judging is not the Scientific Council's primary purpose or function, but one forced onto it by default - the branch is called the 'philosophical' branch. Its purpose is to act as the cool heads, those with a deep understanding of the principles of the city, to balance out the passions of the moment. This is superficially similar to the role of a Supreme Court, save the Council does not require the formality of hearing a case to give an opinion. While anyone who's read my opinions in transcripts, on the old LL forum, or simply conversed with me at length in-world on the subject knows I have my peeves about the way the Council is currently structured and empowered, we must recognize it for what it is. It is by very deliberate design that the Council has almost no active powers, but merely reactive. It may veto, it may declare actions to be unconstitutional.

Because of this, I believe giving the Scientific Council sole power to appoint the judiciary simply because the Council is [i:2j7gijgq]kind[/i:2j7gijgq] of like a judicial branch if you squint at it real hard would be ill-advised. Those proposals that require involvement from other quarters sit much better with me.[/quote:2j7gijgq]

The reason that I seek to give the power of appointment of the Chair of the Judiciary Commission to the Scientific Council is not principally because it currently performs the functions of the judiciary, but precisely because its powers are so limited in other ways, and, in addition, because the Scientific Council, being a body selected by merit for understanding of the constiution, and being a body whose function is to uphold the constitution, is best placed to hold such an important constitutional role, and to understand what it takes to run a judiciary. The fact that it has some judicial functions can only add to that.

If you would prefer to take "best" as "least worst", that will suffice: after all, it is always difficult to pick who in a government should set the ball rolling for the selection of the senior judiciary who then go on to renew themselves on merit. The reason that it is the least worst of all the branches of government, however, is that it has no [i:2j7gijgq]policymaking[/i:2j7gijgq] powers, and is thus not a [i:2j7gijgq]political[/i:2j7gijgq] branch of government.

A politician, that is, any person who holds a political office of state (an office with policymaking powers), by virtue of the kind of office that he or she holds, legitimately seeks to use all the powers that that office confers to advance whatever public policy that he or she thinks desirable. Therefore, no political office-holder should ever have powers that it is inappropriate to use to acheive policy ends.

It is inappropraite to use the power of choosing who to appoint as judges for policy ends because the function of the judiciary when deciding cases is to focus on the merits of the individual case in question and put aside in so far as possible more general questions of public policy. Those questions can be decided by the legislature in making the legislation by which the court is bound. If political office-holders were empowered to decide who should be judges, that power would very likely be used, at least in part, to further policy objectives, by choosing judges who are motivated in seeking judicial office primarily (or at least sigificantly) by seeking to acheive particular policy objectives. Although the possibility of judges being appointed who are not so motivated cannot entirely be excluded under any system of appointment, it is, for the reasons given, far higher when judges are political appointments.

The dangers of judges who are primicpally or significantly motivated in seeking and holidng office by particular public policy considerations, rather than merely seeking to uphold the law as it stands fairly and skilfully, are twofold. Firstly, there is the very real danger that judges, in seeking to achieve policy ends when deciding cases will think it worthwhile to sacrafice the justice of the particular case for some broader, long-term policy objective. Any civilised state must realise that no policy objective is worth sacraficing justice for, and, in any event, no, or at least no significant, policy objective cannot be acheived through legislation, rather than alltogether less satisfactory means of judicial policymaking. Judges who are more likely, perhaps in frustration that the legislature is not acting to achieve the desired policy goal, seek to achieve that goal at the expense of doing justice in an individual case.

Secondly, not entirely unrelated to the above, there is greater legal certainty when judges are more motivated by the skilful application of the law and rendering justice in individual cases than when judges see one of their principal functions as acheiving policy ends, and especially where different judges are each trying to acheive different policy ends. It is important that the law is predictable so that people can know as surely as possible what their rights are so that they might plan their lives with that in mind. It is unjust in a very real sense if it hitherto appeared that the law was one thing, but, in order to acheive a policy objective, a judge deliberately interpreted the law that it was another, depriving a person of a right which he or she honestly and for good reason believed that he or she had, or making a person liable for something that he or she had honestly believed would not create such liability. Legal predictability is also of the utmost importance for commerce, as commercial parties need to be able to assess the risks of entering into agreements carefully, as well as to be able to enter with confidence complex arrangements, safe in the knowledge that the intricate details will be enforced in a consistent way by the courts.

What is especially undesirable, and extremely damaging for the judicial system and the administration of justice, would be a judicial tug-of-war between opposing camps of judges, each faction deliberately interpreting the law in individual cases with the primary aim of achieving a long-term policy goal, and ignoring the interests of the individual litigants in the cases in question, or of all the other people who need to know where they stand in relation to the law of that subject. That state of affairs is greatly more likely in a state in which policymakers are motivated to appoint judges who are motivated to decide cases to achieve policy ends.

The balance of the powers that acheives simultaneously the greatest democratic accountability and the highest level of justice in individual cases is giving policymakers (the legislature and the executive between them or individually) the power to make laws, but laws that apply only prospetively (i.e., from the date that they are decided upon onwards), so that everybody is clear what the law is, and for those laws to be binding on the courts, but for judges to be appointed by people who are least likely to have motivation to acheive political ends (and people whose offices in any event do not facilitate the acheivement of policy ends), on the basis only of those judges' skill in understanding the law, and ability and desire to deal fairly with parties in the individual cases, and determination to leave policy to the policymakers. That fine balance has worked well in England, whose judicial system is world-renowned for fairness, and for that reason immitated by many, for well over half a milennium, and, one should think very carefully indeed before deliberately deciding upon a system that does not preserve that deliate and important balance (although that history is not, given the reasons described above, the only reason for following that model). The system that I suggest does, and any system that involves the Representative Assembly, popular vote, or the Chancellor, in making appointments does not, acheive that balance.

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A further point on judicial independence

[b:1ite63nc][u:1ite63nc]A further point on judicial independence[/b:1ite63nc][/u:1ite63nc]

Another point in relation to the appointment to and removal from office of judges is this: very many cases are brought by and against government branches, enforcement of unpaid fines and planning regulations, claims that land has been taken without adequate compensation, etc. If a policymaking branch of government had the power to appoint judges, and if judges could be removed on grounds not narrowly defined in advance, then there would be a real danger that judges in litigation involving the government would be inclined to be biased towards the government's position, which would concentrate too much power in the hands of government and produce potentially manifestly unjust results.

Politial office-holders would be strongly motivated to appoint judges who are motivated to put the interests of government before the overall interests of justice when deciding cases involving the government: after all, nobody is going to want to appoint somebody who might make it more likely that he or she will lose a court case in the future. Similarly, if there was any real threat of being impeached in consequence of not finding in the government's favour when deciding cases, judges would thereby be motivated to put the interests of government before the interests of justice.

The independence of the judiciary from such motivations is paramount: if we are to expand by enfranculation (I will post in due course about why a slightly revised franculates model could be an extremely potent tool for expansion: I have already talked to some people in-world about this), people must be able to trust us with their land. One of the functions of a judiciary is to uphold in practice the principle that citizens shall not be deprived of their land without the right to a trial in accordance with law, and that substitution of land sh0uld only be done in accordance with law (including contracts between the government and citizens), and on payment of adequate compensation. That vital safeguard is dangerously eroded if judges are motivated to put the interests of government first: after all, holders of public office will always want as much power as possible, and any properly constituted state should assume that such people will do all in their powers to get it, which is why the powers of branches of government should be limited in their capacity to expand their own powers.

If what Justice Soothsayer meant when he wrote that a self-selecting judiciary, as I propose, would be "imperious" and "tyrannical" is that it would not always do what the government wanted it to do (and he certainly has not offered any alternative explanation of what he means), then that is exactly what a judiciary should be. A truly independent judiciary is a vital bulwark against the otherwise potentially unchecked power of central government. As Rudy Ruml writes, "power kills": whilst nobody is going to die in SecondLife, excess governmental power is still capable of being highly destructive, and only a truly independent and autonomous judiciary, within a proper constitutional framework, can effectively prevent such excess.

Ashcroft Burnham

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3essop9c]
I am not sure that I follow here: what do you mean exactly by heavy reliance on additional legal structure?
[/quote:3essop9c]

I mean what I said. We DO have a (very simple) structure as is; you may recall we've had a hearing with it. While I will concur the lack of guidelines makes it inadequate for our needs, I question the principle that the best way to fix it is to shove a system that might well do an actual nation proud, as opposed to virtual project of 30-some people that will certainly grow, but I don't see even matching the size of an [i:3essop9c]actual[/i:3essop9c] city anytime soon.

[quote:3essop9c]
The reason that I seek to give the power of appointment of the Chair of the Judiciary Commission to the Scientific Council is not principally because it currently performs the functions of the judiciary, but precisely because its powers are so limited in other ways, and, in addition, because the Scientific Council, being a body selected by merit for understanding of the constiution, and being a body whose function is to uphold the constitution, is best placed to hold such an important constitutional role, and to understand what it takes to run a judiciary. The fact that it has some judicial functions can only add to that.

If you would prefer to take "best" as "least worst", that will suffice: after all, it is always difficult to pick who in a government should set the ball rolling for the selection of the senior judiciary who then go on to renew themselves on merit. The reason that it is the least worst of all the branches of government, however, is that it has no [i:3essop9c]policymaking[/i:3essop9c] powers, and is thus not a [i:3essop9c]political[/i:3essop9c] branch of government.
[/quote:3essop9c]

I laugh, because I remember when we had a single person active on the SC. The SC can be as political as any other branch; the veto power guarantees it. To be fair, I think our current SC is close to a best-case scenario, being comprised of multiple people of differing beliefs on many points that can nonetheless come to an agreement when need be.

That's not me playing nice, but the honest truth. We've come a long way, and while I still don't care for the current structure, in practice I feel the current situation makes the SC bearable.

As for the balance of your post, while you do have a good line of reasoning, I believe it is flawed. In the US, even though many judges ARE political appointees, the actions of a judge when they no longer need to worry about political goals often surprise those who appointed them. Thus, I do not see the introduction of a populist element through the RA or a general vote [i:3essop9c]in itself[/i:3essop9c] as a threat to a judiciary that is as impartial as possible.

However, the real concern I have is your judicial structure seems lifted directly from real life with little real examination of the realities of [i:3essop9c]our[/i:3essop9c] situation. As fun as it is to call ourselves a virtual city, and later, with Colonia Nova, a virtual country, and as true as these are in a sense... in another sense, we are not. We are a nonprofit group organized to share the resources of what amounts to a webserver. We are in a situation where we have no sovereignty over our 'land', as it exists on the sufferance of Linden Lab. We are not a nation of millions, or even a city of thousands, but 30-something people. Even as we grow, we are unlikely to exceed the low hundreds soon, I feel. A group this size does not need a full-blown trial court system. If our aims to encourage business take off, it may grow beyond what the Scientific Council could reasonably handle, but here lies a flaw in [i:3essop9c]both[/i:3essop9c] our viewpoints.

The SC currently holds what passes for judicial power. Any establishment of a court system WOULD logically fall under their domain. [i:3essop9c]The SC does not need to be told what to do by the RA[/i:3essop9c], any more than the RA has any business telling the Guild how to conduct its internal affairs.

Thus, I am left with the question - while your bill does include constitutional amendments, if the selection of judges is to be left to the SC, why is this is bill as opposed to a suggestion of procedure to be adopted by the SC?

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Also, Ashcroft, I hope the roughness of my replies does not rub you the wrong way. I am attacking the idea only, here, as much to make sure it's sound - like kicking the tires of a car - as it is me having any kind of serious objection to it.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":1m86tba1]I mean what I said. We DO have a (very simple) structure as is; you may recall we've had a hearing with it.[/quote:1m86tba1]

What I was questioning is what extra reliance you think would be placed on a legal system now.

[quote:1m86tba1]While I will concur the lack of guidelines makes it inadequate for our needs, I question the principle that the best way to fix it is to shove a system that might well do an actual nation proud, as opposed to virtual project of 30-some people that will certainly grow, but I don't see even matching the size of an [i:1m86tba1]actual[/i:1m86tba1] city anytime soon.[/quote:1m86tba1]

I deal with this below.

[quote:1m86tba1]I laugh, because I remember when we had a single person active on the SC. The SC can be as political as any other branch; the veto power guarantees it. To be fair, I think our current SC is close to a best-case scenario, being comprised of multiple people of differing beliefs on many points that can nonetheless come to an agreement when need be.

That's not me playing nice, but the honest truth. We've come a long way, and while I still don't care for the current structure, in practice I feel the current situation makes the SC bearable.[/quote:1m86tba1]

None of this is a reason to prefer appointment of the Cheif Judge of Common Jurisdiction and Chair of the Judiciary Commission to be made by the Representative Assembly.

[quote:1m86tba1]As for the balance of your post, while you do have a good line of reasoning, I believe it is flawed. In the US, even though many judges ARE political appointees, the actions of a judge when they no longer need to worry about political goals often surprise those who appointed them. Thus, I do not see the introduction of a populist element through the RA or a general vote [i:1m86tba1]in itself[/i:1m86tba1] as a threat to a judiciary that is as impartial as possible.[/quote:1m86tba1]

I phrased my arguments above very carefully to avoid that very flaw. The point is not that the fact of being a political appointment (assuming proper security of tenure, which is also important) would [i:1m86tba1]cause[/i:1m86tba1] appointees who would not otherwise be politically-motivated or pro-government to become politically motivated or pro-government, but that political office-holders would tend to exercise their powers of appointment in favour of people who are [i:1m86tba1]already[/i:1m86tba1] politically motivated in the same policy direction as the person making the appointment, or more generally pro-government.

The people appointed could be so motivated for any number of reasons: personal political ideology, personal loyalty to particular members of the current government, promise of reward or favour by the person making the appointment, naeivity, or an attitude of deference to governments in general. The point is that, faced with a choice of a number of candidates for judicial office, some of whom are more inclined to be pro-government than others, political office-holders when making the appointments would strongly tend to choose those who are most pro-government, and put that criterion above the more important criteria of legal skill and ability to be just. That, in turn, would motivate those who are pro-government to seek judicial office, and dissuade those who would not be deferential to government from so seeking. The overall effect would be that there would be a very high chance that, over time, the judiciary would become significantly biased towards government, with all of the disasterous consequences of that that I outlined above.

Balanced against that, neither you nor anybody else has provided any line of reasoning as to exactly why you claim that appointment of the first members of the judiciary by the Scientific Council, and subsequent members by those first senior members, would be any [i:1m86tba1]worse[/i:1m86tba1] than the system that you propose in terms of the only meaningful measure of how good that it is, viz. the quality of the judiciary created thereby.

[quote:1m86tba1]However, the real concern I have is your judicial structure seems lifted directly from real life with little real examination of the realities of [i:1m86tba1]our[/i:1m86tba1] situation. As fun as it is to call ourselves a virtual city, and later, with Colonia Nova, a virtual country, and as true as these are in a sense... in another sense, we are not. We are a nonprofit group organized to share the resources of what amounts to a webserver. We are in a situation where we have no sovereignty over our 'land', as it exists on the sufferance of Linden Lab. We are not a nation of millions, or even a city of thousands, but 30-something people. Even as we grow, we are unlikely to exceed the low hundreds soon, I feel. A group this size does not need a full-blown trial court system. If our aims to encourage business take off, it may grow beyond what the Scientific Council could reasonably handle, but here lies a flaw in [i:1m86tba1]both[/i:1m86tba1] our viewpoints.[/quote:1m86tba1]

Your logic here is flawed: you start by suggesting that my system is "lifted straight from real life" (it is not: it is far, far simpler than any real life legal system by more orders of magnitude than one could imagine: see my earlier post, "Defending my proposed legal system" for details), then point out how our virtual nation is different in type and smaller than any real life nation, and conclude by claiming that the system is not "needed". Not only does the fact that our community has far fewer people in it than a real country not by itself amount to a reason not to have a proper legal system, as I have designed, nor does the fact that the subject-matter is a computer simulation of streets and houses and furniture, rather than actual streets and houses and furniture, constitute by itself a reason why a legal system that shares some characteristics with the legal system of real nations is unnecessary, it does not in any event follow from the fact that something is not necessary that it is not desirable.

The point is that, for a legal system that is both effective and just, there is an irreducible minimum of complexity no matter how small the number of people involved and no matter how much less the possible subject matter of laws than a real-life nation. The system that I propose is very close to that minimum: what we have presently falls far, far below it and is wholly unworkable.

If we have a proper legislature, a proper executive (as you are hoping to become the head of) and a proper administration (as is being proposed in the Civil Service Bill), why should it not also have a proper judiciary? Why should whatever conditions suffice for having a properly constituted government with those three branches not also be sufficient conditions to have a properly constituted judiciary as well?

Furthermore, as I plan to explain in some detail shortly, a slightly revised franculates proposal, coupled with my legal system (and other tools, such as Confederation-wide ban lists) could, with a bit of luck and some real determination on our part, lead to a far faster expansion (by enfranculation) than you imagine. In order to enfranculate, however, people will need to trust us with their land, and they would have good reason not to do that if we had a half-baked judicial system to protect their rights against us (we bearly have dough as it is). Furthermore, as we grow bigger, the need for a legal system will increase exponentionally (the potential for conflict is, after all, proportionate to the number of [i:1m86tba1]relationships[/i:1m86tba1] between people, rather than the absolute number of people).

Finally, despite claiming (seemingly impliedly) that the system that I propose is somehow unsuitable, you fail to explain exactly what possible [i:1m86tba1]dis[/i:1m86tba1]advantage that there could realistically be with adopting this system over maintaining the status quo. Whilst, as I explain above, the system is most definitely necessary, even if it were not, that would not by itself make it undesirable. Given that the only realistic options that we have for the foreseeable future are the system that I propose or the status quo, how, exactly, do you contend that the latter would be superior to the former?

[quote:1m86tba1]The SC currently holds what passes for judicial power. Any establishment of a court system WOULD logically fall under their domain. [i:1m86tba1]The SC does not need to be told what to do by the RA[/i:1m86tba1], any more than the RA has any business telling the Guild how to conduct its internal affairs.

Thus, I am left with the question - while your bill does include constitutional amendments, if the selection of judges is to be left to the SC, why is this is bill as opposed to a suggestion of procedure to be adopted by the SC?[/quote:1m86tba1]

I think that I have already explained this: the bill that I propose does not leave the appointment of all judges to the Scientific Council: only the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction and the Chair of the Judiciary Commission are appointed by the Scientific Council, and all other judges are appointed by the Chief Judge. The principal purpose of the constitutional amendments were twofold: firstly, to create an autonomous Judiciary Commission, comprised of people with an understanding of law and a focus on administrering the day-to-day affairs of judiciary (as distinct from the Scientific Council's more general constitutional role) separate from the Scientific Council, and secondly to enshrine in the constitution important safeguards for proper judicial process, such as prohibition of punishment without law, the right to a trial in accordance with law when accused of wrongdoing, the requirement that the administration of justice be public, that banishment without trial can only be temporary, and many others.

As Gwyneth has already pointed out, without a strong and clear constitutional framework for a judicial system, any judicial system created by act of the Scientific Council alone is fragile and does not provide the necessary robustness nor constitutional safeguards, which my proposed system does.

My propsal does not involve telling the Scientific Council what to do: my proposal involves creating an entirely new and autonomous judicial branch of the government, called the Judiciary Commission, to take over some of the functions currently discharged by the Scientific Council, because such an independent, specialist, professional judiciary would administer justice more effectively than an organisation whose principle function is not the administration of justice, and whose members are not selected by experience or expertise in the practical applicaiton of law.

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":6hrp8j05]Also, Ashcroft, I hope the roughness of my replies does not rub you the wrong way. I am attacking the idea only, here, as much to make sure it's sound - like kicking the tires of a car - as it is me having any kind of serious objection to it.[/quote:6hrp8j05]

I hope that my above reply assures you that my proposed system's tyres are well inflated ;-)

[i:6hrp8j05]Edit[/i:6hrp8j05]: Reading over my earlier reply, I did seem to come to the conclusion in one or two places that you were, by implication, positively contending things when, judging from the above, you might not have been. Some of the questions that I asked you are based on that assumption. Whether that makes a difference to anything is another matter.

Ashcroft Burnham

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

I’ve been staying mostly away from this conversation due to travel commitments and a nasty strike at my RL employment. But I have been reading the discussions carefully when I have time.

I’m concerned that Ashcroft doesn’t see that judges can indeed be political actors, and more concerned that he doesn’t appreciate why the citizens of our community might want a voice in the appointment of judges, or that we might want a system that allows us to remove judges we deem to be rude, verbose, or even incompetent. Moreover, there is a long and healthy debate in legal circles about whether impeachment is a judicial or political act (see Federalist Papers among others), but Ashcroft is firmly on the side of impeachment being “judicialâ€

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":18pttxbm]I’m concerned that Ashcroft doesn’t see that judges can indeed be political actors, and more concerned that he doesn’t appreciate why the citizens of our community might want a voice in the appointment of judges, or that we might want a system that allows us to remove judges we deem to be rude, verbose, or even incompetent.[/quote:18pttxbm]

I am extremely disappointed by your approach to this debate. I have spent a great deal of time and effort setting out the reasoning behind my position fully and carefully, and you have not even attempted to address that reasoning, but have done nothing other than re-state your original concerns, which I have addressed at length, over and over again. I have explained in detail [i:18pttxbm]exactly[/i:18pttxbm] why the citizens "having a voice in" the appointment of judges by making judges political appointments is extremely dangerous, as is a system whereby judges can be removed from office on anything other than very substantial grounds, and you have not raised one scintilla of an argument against mine, nor provided any genuine reason for not doing so, yet you persist with your position regardless.

I think that it is a wholly unjust representation of my position to state that I don't "appreciate why the citizens of our community might want a voice in the appointment of judges" (etc.): I see exactly why it might seem superficially attractive to have anybody with any sort of power being either directly elected or appointed by those who are, but I explain, on principle, why it is wrong to do so for judges, despite that superficial attraction, and similarly with the other points that I address. It is wholly wrong to cast your opponent in a debate, who has given careful and detailed reasons for his position, as somebody who merely does not "appreciate" the other side's position, especially when you have not supplied any reasons yourself as to why you claim that your opponent's reasons are wrong.

[quote]Moreover, there is a long and healthy debate in legal circles about whether impeachment is a judicial or political act (see Federalist Papers among others), but Ashcroft is firmly on the side of impeachment being “judicialâ€

Ashcroft Burnham

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I think that Ashcroft has put forward sensible compromise proposals in his last post which I hope will satisfy the concerns that Justice, and others, have expressed in this thread. The compromise proposals are:

[quote:osm4y7u4]that the appointment of judges could be vetoed by a 2/3rds majority of the Scientific Council, and/or that judges of common jurisdiction collectively (by majority vote), rather than the Chief Judge singularly, choose who to appoint as further Judges of Common Jurisdiction[/quote:osm4y7u4]
[quote:osm4y7u4]the grounds for impeachment be widened from my (Ashcroft's) original proposal to include "other conduct tending to bring the judiciary of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators into serious disrepute"[/quote:osm4y7u4]

These should, I hope, serve to meet the concerns that we might be about to install an overmighty and imperious judiciary. If not, I would hope to see some closely reasoned argument as to why an elected judiciary (or one selected by a political body such as the RA) should be preferred despite the clear arguments Ashcroft has put forward against that idea.

One further point, similar to the one made in response to Rudy's thread, we do need to implement this system. I disagree wholeheartedly with Aliasi's point that [i:osm4y7u4]"A group this size does not need a full-blown trial court system."[/i:osm4y7u4] Firstly, our current system is not fit for purpose. We have few rules of procedure and the only 'trial' (though it was called a hearing) we have held exposed the holes in the system. We need something better, and this is [b:osm4y7u4]much[/b:osm4y7u4] better. Secondly, a group the size of Second Life definitely needs a court system and we are well-placed to provide it. This system is well-thought-out, has a government to back it and can be the cornerstone of our expansion and the next phase of Neufreistadt/the CDS.

I would urge the RA to have the courage to pass this bill, with the amendments discussed to date. This is too good a prize to pass up.

-----------------------
edited to clarify meaning

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Organising the amendment debate

[b:itk1l82c][u:itk1l82c]Organising the amendment debate[/b:itk1l82c][/u:itk1l82c]

There has been a large amount of discussion since the last (inquorate) R. A. meeting about potential amendments, so much that it might be quite unclear to those voting on them exactly what is proposed.

Since I will be away for the week-end (I am going to a conference, and will be back by Sunday evening), and therefore not able to participate in this Saturday's Representative Assembly meeting, I need to set out here all my proposals for amendments to make it clear exactly what the R. A. is voting on.

For the reasons that I have already given at some length, I urge that all of Justice's proposed amendments be rejected in favour of the compromise proposals that I have made on this thread, and that are endorsed by Pat, above. There was also one technical amendment to correct the section numbering. I will list all my suggested amendments below, and also submit them all on a notecard to Claude for the meeting to-morrow.

[b:itk1l82c]Amendment 1 - renumbering[/b:itk1l82c]

This is the technical amendment to correct an error. Proposed Article II, Section 9 should read:

[quote:itk1l82c]The Court of Scientific Council shall have the same powers as Courts of Common Jurisdiction as is conferred by Article VII, section 9(e) of this Constitution (persons misbehaving in court).[/quote:itk1l82c]

[b:itk1l82c]Amendment 2 - bodies who may bring impeachment proceedings [/b:itk1l82c]

This is, as suggested above, to address Justice's concern about the current proposed restrictions on the bodies who may impeach judges. A new section under [b:itk1l82c]Article I, Section 7[/b:itk1l82c], "Powers of the RA", could be added thus:

[quote:itk1l82c][i:itk1l82c]In respect of the judiciary[/i:itk1l82c]

The Representative Assembly may vote by simple majority (a) to commence impeachment proceedings against the Chair of the Judiciary Commission or any Judge of Common Jurisdiction (including the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction) before the Court of Scientific Council, on any of the grounds on which the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction may do so; and (b) to appoint a member of the Representative Assembly to conduct those proceedings on behalf of the Representative Assembly before the Court of Scientific Council[/quote:itk1l82c]

Further, the following could be added at the end of the "In respect to the judiciary" section in Article III (the Scientific Council):

[quote:itk1l82c]The Scientific Council may vote by simple majority (a) to commence impeachment proceedings against the Chair of the Judiciary Commission or any Judge of Common Jurisdiction (including the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction) before the Court of Scientific Council, on any of the grounds on which the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction may do so; and (b) to appoint a member of the Scientific Council to conduct those proceedings on behalf of the Scientific Council before the Court of Scientific Council[/quote:itk1l82c]

[b:itk1l82c]Amendment 3 - grounds of impeachment[/b:itk1l82c]

This is to address Justice's conern about the current proposal's limit on the breadth of the grounds on which judges may be impeached. Under this amendment, proposed Article IV, Section 3(e) would read:

[quote:itk1l82c](e) to bring impeachment proceedings against the Chair of the Judiciary Commission or any other Judge of Common Jurisdiction, on the grounds only of either or both of (i) gross dereliction of duty, whether culpable or not, but, if not culpable, sustained for at least 28 days; or (ii) bias, corruption, insanity or any other conduct tending to bring the judiciary of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators into serious disrepute, or additionally, in the case of the Chair of the Judiciary Commission, either or both of (i) gross incompetence; or (ii) gross fiscal imprudence.[/quote:itk1l82c]

Similarly, proposed Article IV, Section 2(k) would read:

[quote:itk1l82c]to bring impeachment proceedings against any Judge of Common Jurisdiction, on the grounds only of either or both of (i) gross dereliction of duty, whether culpable or not, but, if not culpable, sustained for at least 28 days; or (ii) bias, corruption, insanity or any other conduct tending to bring the judiciary of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators into serious disrepute.[/quote:itk1l82c]

[b:itk1l82c]Amendment 4 - appointment to judicial office[/b:itk1l82c]

To address Justice's concerns about the over-concentration of the power to appoint in the single Chief Judge, the following could be added to Article III, underneath "[i:itk1l82c]With respect to the judiciary[/i:itk1l82c]":

[quote:itk1l82c]Any member of the Scientific Council may, within 14 days of the appointment of any Judge of Common Jurisdiction, including the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction, issue a public notice requiring the Scientific Council to vote on whether to veto the appointment of that judge, along with a description of the reasons that he or she wishes so to veto. The Scientific Council shall, within 14 days of the issuance of such a notice, take a vote of all members of the Scientific Council on whether or not to veto such an appointment, and such a veto will take effect if, and only if, not less than 2/3rds of the members of the Scientific Council vote in favour of such a veto.[/quote:itk1l82c]

I had also suggested a system whereby all Judges of Common Jurisdiction get to vote on new appointments, instead of them just being left to the Chief Judge. Considering the matter, that would make the appointment of new judges get more and more unwieldy and cumbersome as the Judiciary Commission grew, and eventually make the whole process quite impractical. What I suggest instead is giving Judges of Common Jurisdiction the same power as members of the Scientific Council, i.e. to veto the appointment of another judge. So, the section (I will have to leave it to Claude to insert in the right place, as I have to get up early for my conference to-morrow, and it is already late) would read as follows:

[quote:itk1l82c]Any Judge of Common Jurisdiction may, within 14 days of the appointment of any other Judge of Common Jurisdiction, including the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction, issue a public notice requiring all Judges of Common Jurisdiction to vote on whether to veto the appointment of that judge, along with a description of the reasons that he or she wishes so to veto. The Chair of the Judiciary Commission shall, within 14 days of the issuance of such a notice, take a vote of all Judges of Common Jurisdiction on whether or not to veto such an appointment, and such a veto will take effect if, and only if, not less than 2/3rds of Judges of Common Jurisdiction vote in favour of such a veto.[/quote:itk1l82c]

[b:itk1l82c]Conclusion[/b:itk1l82c]

I hope that those proposed amendments, together with my thoroughly reasoned arguments on these fora, are enough to persuade the members of the Representative Assembly that the [b:itk1l82c]Judicaiary Bill[/b:itk1l82c] in its original form (save for the amendments above), ought be passed, and to reject the amendments in the form that Justice seeks to put forward as being unworkable and dangerously compromising the vital independence of the judiciary.

As explained in my post on franchulates, with this [b:itk1l82c]Judiciary Bill[/b:itk1l82c], we could have a great impact on the world of SecondLife, and I urge those on the Representative Assembly to be bold and finally to adopt the proposals on which so much effort and discussion by so many people has over so many weeks been expended.

Ashcroft Burnham

Return to “Legislative Discussion”