CDS flag ideas

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

CDS flag ideas

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

I notice that in recent discussion of the adoption of a [i:kd13omjk]Neufreistadt[/i:kd13omjk] flag, the issue was left open as to what, if anything, should be the flag of the [i:kd13omjk]Confederation[/i:kd13omjk]. In my view, it is highly desirable to have a Confederation flag, both as a matter of branding and publicity, but also as a symbol of community solidarity.

I do not have in mind an exact design at this juncture, but do have one or two ideas that could perhaps be discussed and developed. First of all, as a flag of a confederation, it would be rather nice if it could somehow incorporate the flags of all of the states (or localities, if we are not to be a true confederation) that we encompass. A good way of doing that would be to have a narrow band along the left-hand side of the flag, and have the individual flags of the sims lined up along that, and have, along the right hand side, the flags (or, if they do not have flags, stars) of each of the franchulates.

The main portion of the flag could encompass a shield shape divided into four, with each section representing, respectively, democracy, justice, commerce and community, what I would suggest are the four foundaitonal values of our community.

Any comments most welcome :-)

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Brian Livingston »

I think having the flags of each state, region, or whatnot that comprises the CDS would clutter up the flag. Instead, I propose that a star is placesd on the flag for each region that is part of the CDF, starting at the bottom of the shield and moving up either side of the shield. For eaxample, right now there would be one star, centered below the bottom of the shield. When CN is added, both stars will be located at the bottom of the shield, but neither will be directly centered below the shield but instead they will be centered collectively, so that each falls to one side.

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

Since this is still very much a relaxed green-lighting session it seems, here are a few ideas:

- establish a common set of colors that will remain constant, leaving freedom for period appropriate flags or standards in CNs case
- establish a common symbol (such as the star) that can be used with variations of style appropriate for the period or style of the group
- establish a stable of symbols that are related but separate enough so that they combine both value for the CDS and for the individual group

While I do value branding, I think part of the great appeal of these themes is their comprehensive nature. In my mind, it's better to allow some freedom in style and allow the government relationship to bind things than drive the sim brand purely on the democratic relationship. Quite likely people will come to CN who value the theme, the people and the freedom, but are less interested in the CDS values.

Return to “General Discussion”