Reply to Dianne

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Reply to Dianne

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

Since much of Dianne's lengthy discussion with Gwyneth over the Judiciary seems to be taking place in the "Scientific Council announcements" forum in which only members of the SC can post, I am forced to reproduce it here in order to participate in the debate about the system that I proposed.

[quote="Dianne":3otakn7g]My issue is exactly that. I completely disagree that it is "clear" (let alone "quite clear"), that this bill is really about a major revision to the constitution. It reads like a rather minor alteration in the way trials are conducted and is put forward as such by Ashcroft, yet it actually envisions radical changes to the structure of the state itself.

It seems really bad form to me to have (as you yourself mention), the bills going through the house sometimes referred to as bills and sometimes referred to as constitutional amendments. They are either one or the other as there is a different legislative requirement for each. To have bills go through the house that seems to be "a bit of each," is unclear at best.

A constitutional amendment is a different thing entirely from simply passing a law about what colour the houses in the main square should be or some such piffle, and I would think that the many hours of debate that has ensued over the topic would inform everyone in government by now that constitutional amendments are indeed a touchy subject with a sizable percentage of the population.[/quote:3otakn7g]

You really are making quite unnecessary assumptions. To the best of my knowledge, not a single person was in doubt that what was proposed was a significant change in our constitution (and very much a change for the better), and that the Bill was in the form of a constitutional amendment. There is no rule requiring constitutional amendments to be in any particular form. If you think that that is bad, propose a constitutional amendment stipulating such a rule. Without such a rule, it is wholly wrong to complain that such a non-rule has not been followed.

[quote:3otakn7g]We have had many debates about this before and had many SC meetings where this exact thing (being clear about the difference between the two things) was brought up. We eventually decided that a constitutional amendment was a different order of beast altogether, requiring of more than just a simple majority vote.[/quote:3otakn7g]

That, of course, the Judiciary Act had.

[quote:3otakn7g]We even pushed around the idea that a popular referendum should be called on all Constitutional amendments. I didn't agree with that, but many of our citizens thought it was the way to go at the time.[/quote:3otakn7g]

That is not currently the law, so what point, exactly, are you making here?

[quote:3otakn7g]To say now that we can just mix the two objectives together in a single bill and not get to upset about differentiating the one from the other, or even being that clear about what is being proposed is to ignore hours of debate on the subject.[/quote:3otakn7g]

If the hours of debate did not result in a binding rule, written in the text of the constitution, that set out the proposition for which you contend, then we are entirely entitled to ignore it.

[quote:3otakn7g]Excuse me for being dumb, but I didn't realise that this was a revision to the constitution, at least not on first sight.[/quote:3otakn7g]

Well, really, if you did not think that an Act one of whose first lines states, "[i:3otakn7g]The following section shall be inserted at the end of the Constitution, but before the table of amendments[/i:3otakn7g]", was a bill establishing a constitutional amendment, then, whatever the reasons for you not so understanding, the wording of the Act cannot possibly have been one of them.

[quote:3otakn7g] This bill should have had "Constitutional Amendment" at the top of the page in big letters and be structured so that it's *only* concern was the specific amendment to the Constitution required to make the Judicial changes work.[/quote:3otakn7g]

There is no requirement in the Constitution that an amendment be so headed or structured. I was following standard UK legislative drafting practice.

[quote:3otakn7g]It should (IMO) also contain a full explanation of the ramifications of the proposed change.[/quote:3otakn7g]

Again, this is a wholly unfair complaint. I posted no less than [i:3otakn7g]two[/i:3otakn7g] threads doing [i:3otakn7g]exactly[/i:3otakn7g] that. It was on the basis of those threads that much of the debate occurred.

[quote:3otakn7g]A separate second bill that dealt with the details of the Judicial system that need not be contained in the constitutional amendment should then follow it.[/quote:3otakn7g]

Why? Anyone who read the text of the Judiciary Act with sufficient care would be under no illusions as to the effect of it. Why should two separate bills be presented to achieve one objective? The idea of breaking it down into separate bills was discussed and rejected, partly because it would be an unmitigated disaster if one was passed, but not the other.

[quote:3otakn7g]There is also a difference in scale here. A constitutional amendment that simply clarifies a "fuzzy" passage in our constitution (and this is indeed the nature of most of the constitutional amendments made so far) is one thing. A constitutional amendment that goes to the heart of the very structure of the government is something else entirely.[/quote:3otakn7g]

Nobody was under any illusions that this was of the latter sort.

[quote:3otakn7g]My point is that a wise government, and a just government, would not think of doing such things without first garnering the almost unanimous support of the population either through a referendum or a constitutional convention.[/quote:3otakn7g]

I have already explained why this is not a proper model of good government.

[quote:3otakn7g]We have had several discussions amongst ourselves about this fact.[/quote:3otakn7g]

Resulting in a constitution that pointedly allows amendments to be made using the procedure that was in fact adopted in thi scase.

[quote:3otakn7g]I am of course completely aware that constitutional amendments have been passed before and that there is no requirement in the constitution for the RA to seek a proper mandate from the people to put forward even the most radical of changes. This is sad, and I think dangerous, but it's the way it is. It's not illegal, it's not even completely without precedent in RL, but it is (IMO) shocking, and terribly unwise.[/quote:3otakn7g]

For reasons already given at some length, I disagree.

[quote:3otakn7g]As to the three parts or branches of government not being the "foundation of our state" I respectfully disagree. The constitution is of course the foundation as you suggest, but the constitution is not a blank piece of paper.[/quote:3otakn7g]

Just as fundamental as any of our organs of state is the power of the RA to amend the constitution. That is no less an enshrined and established part of our democracy than any other, and it should be respected as much as any other.

[quote:3otakn7g]The constitution primarily lays out the form and structure of the government of Neufreistadt. It's main descriptive phrases and the majority of its substance is devoted to describing the three lobed governmental structure and a very few of the practical details of that structure. That *is* (for better or worse), the structure of our government. Since the majority of the constitution itself is about this structure how can that structure not be the foundation of our state?[/quote:3otakn7g]

It is a foundation that is designed, by the power to which I have made reference above, to be able to be changed if there is need to do so, with the safeguard of requiring an enhanced majority. In this case, there was most certainly a need to change that foundation, and we have changed it very much for the better - even you earlier agreed with that proposition.

[quote:3otakn7g]Adding "extra lobes" or cutting off old ones is indeed radical constitutional surgery, worthy or more than a simple .."oh, and this part of this bill means we change this part of the constitution." It's tantamount to saying in the US that a single bill can wipe out the House of Representatives and establish a new branch of government called the "business branch," that now has equal power with the executive branch, or any other radical nonsensical thing you can think of.[/quote:3otakn7g]

What the US government does or does not have the power to do I do not know (not being a citizen of the US), and is not relevant to this debate. This debate is about what our RA has the power to do, and passing a constitutional amendment - even a radical one - is certainly one of those powers.

[quote:3otakn7g]Because I have been in error over missing information and my inability to read the voluminous material on the subject I will refrain from further comment on this subject until the next SC meeting, but this whole thing is just looking more and more ridiculous to me.[/quote:3otakn7g]

I really must disagree, and this is a wholly unfair comment to those who have spent a great deal of time working on it and discussing it - and all its ramifications - as openly as possible. Our new judiciary has the potential to bring us great benefits, and I find it very sad that you are concentrating instead on a largely mis-informed criticism of the way in which it was enacted.

[quote:3otakn7g]Think of it this way. Why would anyone ever trust their business or their money or their criminal proceedings to a government that could change from a democracy into a dictatorship or from a matriarchy into a federation or any number of a hundred other forms in such a short time? What if we decide next month that the Guild was actually kind of a good idea and we want it back?[/quote:3otakn7g]

Because we have proper checks and balances on the powers of the RA to make those changes: universal sufferage, a Scientific Council with the power to veto (as we have seen) for violation of human rights, and, soon, a fully independent judicial system. That, of course, always [i:3otakn7g]has[/i:3otakn7g] been the structure of our state. With adequate checks and balances, it is a good thing, not a bad thing that a state can, if necessary, undertake radical reform of its structures. A state that cannot adapt and change as the circumstnaces change around it is equally a state that nobody can trust to continue to be viable in the future.

With our new judiciary, we have indeed changed radically - for much the better.

[quote:3otakn7g]IMO there has to be some stability to the structure of the state and it should of necessity be a slow and difficult process to change it. If we are in fact engaged in a process of radical constitutional revision then the appropriate forum for that is a constitutional convention.[/quote:3otakn7g]

That idea was discussed and rejected. The RA acted within its powers. All other things being equal, stability is of course better than intability, but it is not the only valuable objective of a state. Other objectives, such as economic success, ability to expand, justice, and the enforcement of rights are also important, and, sometimes, more important than stability.

Let us not be radical for the sake of being radical, nor conservative for the sake of being conservative: let us change everything that needs to be changed, and nothing that does not.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I do not see the need for this. We are just now expanding to two Sims. Who are you going to prosecute?
I have come to understand the constitution of both Japan and the United States so much better because of this. They have safeguards to protect the minority from the majority. There is little protection in the constitution of Neufreistadt. The RA is elected in a system that makes the most popular in both parties the elected members. What about the minority members or the factionless?
I have a problem with a constitution that allows 4 people to change it without input from the other 36. It seems more like the rule of the enlightened ones over the unruly masses. It is also my understanding that the RA has the power to completely change the constitution as to make it a completely different item. Yes we can vote them out in the next election cycle or can we? Might the changes allow the RA to bring in so many new members that their votes are a moot point? I am not saying it will happen but it might. All I know is that when one citizen had the chance to beef up his vote with residents that would not have become citizens he took the opportunity. Is this wrong? Well by current Neufreistadt law, it seems not. Was this morally the right thing to do, no.
This is my point while it might be legal to take an action it is not always the morally correct action to take. Also you are saying that is now law and there is nothing we can do about it. Well you are very mistaken about that, unlike Great Briton and Russia where the peasants were controlled by the control of the land, we have the power to determine our own fates. For the above reasons I consider Neufreistadt as a democracy a failure. When the interests of the minority are pushed aside for the interests of the majority there is no democracy. There is only the majorities bests interests’ being provided to them by the force of law.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Ranma Tardis":cwuzqje4] When the interests of the minority are pushed aside for the interests of the majority there is no democracy. There is only the majorities bests interests’ being provided to them by the force of law.[/quote:cwuzqje4]

Whose interests, precisely, do you claim have been pushed aside?

Ashcroft Burnham

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":u40wmymp][quote="Ranma Tardis":u40wmymp] When the interests of the minority are pushed aside for the interests of the majority there is no democracy. There is only the majorities bests interests’ being provided to them by the force of law.[/quote:u40wmymp]

Whose interests, precisely, do you claim have been pushed aside?[/quote:u40wmymp]

It seems to me that the RA has the power to do just about anything they desire. As long as they do not upset the majority of voting citizens they are assured of containing power.
Your bill is only the first ACT in a string of them that is going to change Neufreistadt to something completely different that today. I think the guild is going to be the next to go with the Science Council right behind it. This will happen in one week intervals. Will neu attract a lot of independent Sims to join? Well I do not think so. I see no advantage in these Sims doing so.
Whose interests have been pushed aside? Why the minority of citizens that do not agree with the majority. Setting the tax rate is one thing, changing the very government to which once drew us to the only democratic sim is another.
There is a price that you have to pay when you bully others in the name of the majority. The vote on your bill should have been sent to the citizens to approve or disapprove in a supermajority vote.
Your bill was a test on how to change things without the approval of the super majority of the citizens. I have no real quarrel with your bill with the major exception that it is not needed and will waste the resources of the government. However it does clear the way for the next set of Acts.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Ranma Tardis":xborvfbn]It seems to me that the RA has the power to do just about anything they desire. As long as they do not upset the majority of voting citizens they are assured of containing power.
Your bill is only the first ACT in a string of them that is going to change Neufreistadt to something completely different that today. I think the guild is going to be the next to go with the Science Council right behind it. This will happen in one week intervals. Will neu attract a lot of independent Sims to join? Well I do not think so. I see no advantage in these Sims doing so.
Whose interests have been pushed aside? Why the minority of citizens that do not agree with the majority. Setting the tax rate is one thing, changing the very government to which once drew us to the only democratic sim is another.
There is a price that you have to pay when you bully others in the name of the majority. The vote on your bill should have been sent to the citizens to approve or disapprove in a supermajority vote.
Your bill was a test on how to change things without the approval of the super majority of the citizens. I have no real quarrel with your bill with the major exception that it is not needed and will waste the resources of the government. However it does clear the way for the next set of Acts.[/quote:xborvfbn]

As I have written before, if unanimity, or near unanimity was required to decide all matters of importance, then virtually no matters of importance would ever be decided.

Ashcroft Burnham

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":110epgxk][quote="Ranma Tardis":110epgxk]It seems to me that the RA has the power to do just about anything they desire. As long as they do not upset the majority of voting citizens they are assured of containing power.
Your bill was a test on how to change things without the approval of the super majority of the citizens. I have no real quarrel with your bill with the major exception that it is not needed and will waste the resources of the government. However it does clear the way for the next set of Acts.[/quote:110epgxk]

As I have written before, if unanimity, or near unanimity was required to decide all matters of importance, then virtually no matters of importance would ever be decided.[/quote:110epgxk]

5 people out of 40 is a joke to change the basic structure of the goverment. I think it is a bully tatic and they hope most citizens do not pay attention to what is going on. How about 30 people out of 40 to make major changes to the goverment or in other words a super majority.

Fernando Book
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Fernando Book »

It seems to me that we are looking at a conflict between something we can call "constitutional cultures". Ashcroft (although, of course, he knows a lot of compared law) comes from a country, the United Kingdom, that has a very [i:8k07aety]open[/i:8k07aety] Constitution, with the Parliament as institution to build it mainly trhough ordinary laws.
Dianne, and some of our citizens, are attached to the spirit of the US Constitutio, which is a written one, and changing it needs not only a consensus in the Congress, but the agreement of the States.
Some other citizens, that come from European countries, as myself, are used to very rigid Constitutions.
In fact, and to choose an extreme example, the UK Parliament (taking aside international treaties) could reinstate death penalty; forbidding the capital punishment in the US via the Constitution would need a majority of two thirds on each Chamber and the support of two thirds of the States (some of which could rely to a referendum). In Spain reinstating the death penalty would need a two thirds majority on each chamber, general elections, a new two thirds majority on each chamber, and a referendum.
Ashcroft is right when he says that the Judiciary Bill -now Act- is well founded in our nowadays Constitution and Constitution amendment process, but I think that some of us (and as I kept silent I don't want a debate on the Judiciary Bill) would prefer an slower pace to reform the Constitution.
And what I'd prefer is to have a Constitution very stable, and that Bills like that on the Judiciary will be split in two: a Constitutional Amendment, with a high consensus (beyond majorities or even unanimity in the RA), like "there will be an independent Judiciary, with a Chairman, a Court of Common Jurisdiction and a Judiciary Panel that oversees it" (this is a caricature, of course it should be a bit more complex), and law that develops that point and that could be changed as the mood of the country changes, without the need to change the Constitution.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Fernando Book":31n8wx7r]
And what I'd prefer is to have a Constitution very stable, and that Bills like that on the Judiciary will be split in two: a Constitutional Amendment, with a high consensus (beyond majorities or even unanimity in the RA), like "there will be an independent Judiciary, with a Chairman, a Court of Common Jurisdiction and a Judiciary Panel that oversees it" (this is a caricature, of course it should be a bit more complex), and law that develops that point and that could be changed as the mood of the country changes, without the need to change the Constitution.[/quote:31n8wx7r]

There [i:31n8wx7r]was[/i:31n8wx7r] an attempt to force all amendments to be approved through referendums. It was what kicked off the Ulrika and Kendra debacle, as Ulrika stormed onto the then-Nburg forums to accuse us all of being fascists.

The amendment was kind of tabled in the chaos. I, for one, would be more than happy to back some method to chill the pace of amendment, although the problem with it is, of course, making the RA agree to give up the power...

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

I guess I'm just a bit confused. These don't appear to be new ways of doing things. The Representative Assembly was designed to represent the people so that changes could be made at a faster pace.

Statements about our feelings of discontentment are a healthy first step, but they need to be followed up by meaningful attempts to compromise and move towards a solution. This might involve a bill as Aliasi points out, a particular proposal or some very specific requests that don't involve ignoring our current government structure.

As a writer of some moderate ability, I personally offer my help to represent the thoughts of anyone who feels disconnected from our system, but we can't simply go back and forth about general feelings. It does not help us move forward and increases the personal ire between people who ultimately care for the hurts of others.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

My problem with the process is that the people do not have a voice in the decision-making. While it is true we had an election, nowhere was it stated we were voting to make such a major changes in the government. The answer wait for the next election stinks, as the government will be so different by that time. I am troubled also by the recent strings of 100% votes turning all Acts into constitution amendments.
Yes I can submit an Act but it hurts my feelings when it gets turned down 0-5! Thus it is pointless and worse it could get changed into something completely different!
To sum it up, in Neufreistadt the constitution is based on the concept of all sovereignty ultimately belonging to the Regular Assembly (Parliamentary sovereignty). The other extreme is the government of Japan. The Japanese Constitution is the document from which the government is formed and is extremely difficult to change. It was done this way to ensure stability. Thus it protects its citizens from an extremist government that might take power through a populist movement.
The problem with Parliamentary sovereignty is what the Regular Assembly gives they can just as quickly take away. While you have the ability to make quick changes not all change is good or productive.

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

It certainly is or can be a dynamic system, Ranma. And I am sad to hear you continue to feel disconnected from the process. I know it's been this way for a bit now.

I can't speak to the reason your bill was rejected. I'd have to look back to give any informed opinion, which perhaps we can do at some other point. I would encourage you though not to consider this the end of your pursuit of bills. It just means that your entire bill is unlikely to get by. It could be though that part of your bill or some compromise that begins to address your concerns could be approved.

Now we should all understand together that the changes you're seeking based on this conversation would themselves be major changes if they aim to restrict the power of the RA or the slow the pace of bill approvals. It may take another two months or more as this judicial bill to hammer out a compromise and move forward with anything.

Regardless, my offer still stands. We can talk at any point convenient for you.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Yes. I'd like to point out that Ashcroft's own bill was continually tabled - not quite rejected, but subject to several revisions - before it was passed. Politics is compromise and revision.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.

Return to “General Discussion”