Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Proposal for Establishment of CDS Constitution Act

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

Establishment of the CDS Constitution Act

This Act establishes the following constitution for the Commonwealth of Democratic Simulators:

Preamble
The Commonwealth of Democratic Simulators (CDS) shall exist to establish justice, promote the welfare of its citizens, and provide stable and democratic leadership for democratic communities and individuals who desire to interact with them.

I. Government of the CDS
A. Legislature
The legislature of the CDS shall include two elected representatives of each member government, as well as a proportionate number of representatives (1/20, rounded, with a minimum of one representative) of at-large citizens of the CDS. The legislature shall have the power to levy fees, amend the Constitution of the CDS, direct the Executive to action, and create binding laws for citizens. The proceedings of the Legislature shall be public and shall be recorded and publicized.

B. Judiciary
The Judiciary of the CDS shall include judges nominated by the Executive and confirmed by the Legislature to uphold the laws of the Commonwealth, to enforce notarized contracts, and to arbitrate in disputes over the meaning of laws. The proceedings of the Judiciary shall be public and shall be recorded and publicized. The Judiciary shall have the power to levy financial punishments against citizens.

C. Executive
The Executive of the CDS shall be a citizen of the CDS elected for a six month term and empowered to carry out the directives of the Legislature and to oversee the notarization of contracts as well as publicizing the proceedings of the legislative and judicial branches. Additionally, the Executive shall maintain a public list of member government and citizens, as well as the amounts of their individual bonds of citizenship and any complaints against them.

D. Concurrent positions
No member of any branch may, during their term of office, act as a member of any other branch of the government of the CDS.

II. Membership in the CDS
A. Definition of member government
A member government shall be a group of not less than 10 people who democratically own and govern an entire simulator of land. Candidates for membership shall present themselves to the Executive who shall investigate the democratic qualities of their government and make a recommendation about their suitability to the Legislature. The Legislature shall approve or deny the membership of the candidate government.

B. Duties of member governments
Member governments shall agree to uphold the Constitution and all laws of the CDS, and shall cooperate with the Executive to publicize the amounts of land and currency to which its citizens are bonded to the member government, and thus to the CDS.

C. Termination of membership governments
A member government may initiate the process of secession from the CDS by announcing its intention. The Executive shall investigate any outstanding commitments of citizens of the member government as well as any ongoing judicial proceedings against citizens of the member government. The Executive shall report these findings to the Legislature , who, being satisfied that all is in order, shall authorize the release of all bonds of the member government and its citizens to the CDS. The Legislature may terminate the membership of member government of its own accord only if the member government is no longer eligible for membership in the CDS according to the definition of membership.

III. Citizenship in the CDS
A. Automatic Citizenship
Citizens of member governments are automatically citizens of the CDS and subject to the laws and privileges of CDS citizenship. No citizen of a member government may terminate his or her own citizenship of the CDS while remaining a citizen of the member government.

B. At-large Citizenship
Individuals who are not residents of any member government may apply for at-large citizenship to the CDS. Applicants shall present themselves to the Executive and provide a bond of citizenship, and the Executive, being satisfied that the bond is satisfactory, shall administer the oath of citizenship as prescribed by the Legislature. The bond of citizenship shall be a financial bond held by the CDS as assurance of the at-large citizen’s commitment to obey the laws of the CDS and to fulfill his or her contractual obligations to others. The minimum amount of the bond of citizenship for at-large citizens shall be prescribed by the Legislature.

C. Termination of Citizenship
A citizen may initiate the process of termination of citizenship from the CDS by announcing his or her intention. The Executive shall investigate any outstanding commitments of that citizen as well as any ongoing judicial proceedings against that citizen. The Executive shall report these findings to the Legislature , who, being satisfied that all is in order, shall authorize the release of the citizen's bond of citizenship. The Legislature may terminate the citizenship of an individual by its own accord only if the citizen is recommended for termination by the Judiciary.

D. Duties of Citizenship
All citizens of the CDS shall be subject to the laws of the CDS, and shall commit to honor any obligations to the CDS or to others as decided by the Judiciary.

E. Rights of Citizenship
All citizens of the CDS are protected by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In addition, all citizens shall enjoy the following privileges:
i. The right to vote for their representatives in the Legislature of the CDS as well as for the Executive of the CDS.
ii. The right to appeal to the judiciary to enforce contracts, to arbitrate disputes, and to clarify laws.
iii. The right to propose legislation for consideration by the Legislature.
iv. The right to unrestricted travel between CDS territories.
v. The ability to hold office in the CDS.

NOTES:
1. This Constitution establishes a barebones structure for the CDS that is sufficient for minimal functioning of government. It allows other changes to be fleshed out by the Legislature once the CDS is officially established.
2. The name of the CDS, as you see, has been modified to the Commonwealth of Democratic Simulators, instead of Confederation, to avoid some of the confusion that "confederation" causes.
3. This structure is above and beyond the structure of Neufreistadt, and separate from the RA, SC, judicial branch of Nstadt, etc. These structures continue to exist and serve their functions within Nstadt. Citizens of Nstadt (or any other member government) may enjoy privileges of citizenship above and beyond those of CDS membership.
4. The purpose of this act is twofold: to disentangle the CDS from Nstadt legally, and to establish a broader path to citizenship in CDS than is available in Nstadt.
5. My sincere hope in proposing this Constitution is that meaningful democratic government will take hold in SL and grow like wildfire.
Let the discussion begin! :)

Last edited by Gxeremio Dimsum on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael Lunardi
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Mikael Lunardi »

Brilliant! Good work.

May this be the alternative framework many have been seeking!

mL

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

What is the point of this? I know that I discussed this with you in-world, but you were still most unclear about what possible purpose that abolishing our constitution and replacing it with this could possibly acheive. Our present constitution has been built up over many years with a great deal of careful thought by a great many people going into it. It establishes the structure of a scoeity that was never designed to be part of a wider organisation: it [i:2k31tat3]is[/i:2k31tat3] the wider organisation.

You seem to think that the present constitution prevents people who are enfranchulating exercising desirable freedoms, yet you fail to point to particular freedoms that cannot be exercised with delegated-powers local governments under our present constitution (which would include the ability of local areas to manage their own budgets, set their own theme and covenant rules, undertake their own urban planning, and have locally-applicable bylaws governing behaviour), whilst leaving general rules (such as most of the private law: contract law, property law, company law, and the like) on the national scale.

If the CDS is as loose an organisation as you propose, what is the point of having it at all, rather than just having lots of separate independent states? Our potential future strength lies in our unity, not in our divisions. Although we should allow local variations by delegated local government, we must not allow the superstructure on which so much care and effort has been expended to crumble and be replaced with something which, I am afraid, is really to vague to be worthwhile at all. Can you state, for example, in respect of each provision of the current constitution, what, precisely, you think is wrong with it and why, precisely, you think that what you propose is superior?

[quote:2k31tat3]1. This Constitution establishes a barebones structure for the CDS that is sufficient for minimal functioning of government. It allows other changes to be fleshed out by the Legislature once the CDS is officially established.[/quote:2k31tat3]

The CDS is already established. Our constitution [i:2k31tat3]is[/i:2k31tat3] the constitution of the CDS. We [i:2k31tat3]are[/i:2k31tat3] the CDS. "Neufreistadt" is just the name of one of our sims, not of our organisation. We are no more Neufreistadt than we are Marketplatz or valley.

In any event, this is not a barebones structure that is sufficient for minimal functioning: it is far, far less than that. It is so vague as to be unworkable (and see the lengthy debates on the details of the Judiciary Act to see precisely why these things must be set precisely in advance). Our legislature has [i:2k31tat3]already[/i:2k31tat3], over the months and years that we have been in existance, toiled very hard to do exactly what you are suggesting that each franchulate legislature do again and again for itself. Why should we have to re-invent the wheel for each and every franchulate? That would not only be a grotesque waste of human resources, but would be a very, very strong disincentive indeed for people to join, that they would have to do so much work or face constitutional meltdown.

[quote:2k31tat3]2. The name of the CDS, as you see, has been modified to the Commonwealth of Democratic Simulators, instead of Confederation, to avoid some of the confusion that "confederation" causes.[/quote:2k31tat3]

There was a competition some time ago to choose our new name, a vote was called, and the name "Confederation of Democratic Simulators" was chosen. It would be wholly wrong now to change the name again.

[quote:2k31tat3]3. This structure is above and beyond the structure of Neufreistadt, and separate from the RA, SC, judicial branch of Nstadt, etc. These structures continue to exist and serve their functions within Nstadt. Citizens of Nstadt (or any other member government) may enjoy privileges of citizenship above and beyond those of CDS membership.[/quote:2k31tat3]

Why? What is the point of this? See above.

[quote:2k31tat3]4. The purpose of this act is twofold: to disentangle the CDS from Nstadt legally, and to establish a broader path to citizenship in CDS than is available in Nstadt.[/quote:2k31tat3]

What is the benefit, precisely, of each of those two things?

[quote:2k31tat3]5. My sincere hope in proposing this Constitution is that meaningful democratic government will take hold in SL and grow like wildfire.[/quote:2k31tat3]

A constitution that is this vague is, I am afraid, no basis at all for any sort of meaningful government, democratic or otherwise. Why are you suggesting that we discard a perfectly good constitution that we have spent an enormous amount of effort slowly refining so that each and every tiny batch of ten or twenty people who want to join us by enfranchulation will have to do the same laborious task all over again?

The proposals that I have already made about local government by [i:2k31tat3]delegated[/i:2k31tat3] powers enables local areas to have really very significant autonomy indeed in many important respects, but does not fracture the CDS, as your proposal does, or render the constitution so vague as to be little more than a series of approximate aspirations as to how things should be done in general. The CDS is a [i:2k31tat3]nation[/i:2k31tat3], not a club of nations.

I am afraid that your proposal is very seriously misconceived indeed, and most dangerous. Let us not disintegrate into tiny groups held together only in name, but let us work together closely to build a serious and lasting nation with in SecondLife.

[i:2k31tat3]United we stand, divided we fall[/i:2k31tat3].

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11rssx4d]What is the point of this? I know that I discussed this with you in-world, but you were still most unclear about what possible purpose that abolishing our constitution and replacing it with this could possibly acheive. Our present constitution has been built up over many years with a great deal of careful thought by a great many people going into it. It establishes the structure of a scoeity that was never designed to be part of a wider organisation: it [i:11rssx4d]is[/i:11rssx4d] the wider organisation.

You seem to think that the present constitution prevents people who are enfranchulating exercising desirable freedoms, yet you fail to point to particular freedoms that cannot be exercised with delegated-powers local governments under our present constitution (which would include the ability of local areas to manage their own budgets, set their own theme and covenant rules, undertake their own urban planning, and have locally-applicable bylaws governing behaviour), whilst leaving general rules (such as most of the private law: contract law, property law, company law, and the like) on the national scale.[/quote:11rssx4d]

This doesn't abolish anything. The constitution of Nstadt remains the constitution of Nstadt. This proposal creates a minimalist structure on which a multi-sim government can be built. I see this whole thing as akin to states in the US, or more rightly countries in the EU. Each state/country maintains its own autonomy in important ways (when to vote, choosing local leaders, qualifications for citizenship that may be above and beyond CDS requirements, provision of additional rights/privileges above and beyond CDS privileges, etc.) while allowing the new super-government (by super I mean above) to regulate contracts, arbitrate disputes, set rules as needed, and collect and share information.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11rssx4d]If the CDS is as loose an organisation as you propose, what is the point of having it at all, rather than just having lots of separate independent states? Our potential future strength lies in our unity, not in our divisions. Although we should allow local variations by delegated local government, we must not allow the superstructure on which so much care and effort has been expended to crumble and be replaced with something which, I am afraid, is really to vague to be worthwhile at all. Can you state, for example, in respect of each provision of the current constitution, what, precisely, you think is wrong with it and why, precisely, you think that what you propose is superior? [/quote:11rssx4d]

Again, the structure already created is not effected by this proposal. It continues to govern as much territory as it ever has, perhaps even more depending how Colonia Nova is organized. This proposal makes it possible for the CDS to function as a super-government, and for other sims which might wish to organize democratically and join, it gives more of an even footing and a sense of being partners rather than serfs. The purpose of the CDS is to allow enforceable contracts, to provide help (work for the common good) of the citizens, and all the other purposes mentioned in the Preamble. I don't need to go over each point of the current Constitution, because my argument is not to destroy it. I will say that the current Constitution of Nstadt doesn't and probably can't provide for rules for member states, nor for at-large citizens, nor for the collection and dissemination of bonding information on citizens, which this new Constitution calls for.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11rssx4d]The CDS is already established. Our constitution [i:11rssx4d]is[/i:11rssx4d] the constitution of the CDS. We [i:11rssx4d]are[/i:11rssx4d] the CDS. "Neufreistadt" is just the name of one of our sims, not of our organisation. We are no more Neufreistadt than we are Marketplatz or valley.

In any event, this is not a barebones structure that is sufficient for minimal functioning: it is far, far less than that. It is so vague as to be unworkable (and see the lengthy debates on the details of the Judiciary Act to see precisely why these things must be set precisely in advance). Our legislature has [i:11rssx4d]already[/i:11rssx4d], over the months and years that we have been in existance, toiled very hard to do exactly what you are suggesting that each franchulate legislature do again and again for itself. Why should we have to re-invent the wheel for each and every franchulate? That would not only be a grotesque waste of human resources, but would be a very, very strong disincentive indeed for people to join, that they would have to do so much work or face constitutional meltdown. [/quote:11rssx4d]

Again, to use my original comparison, this is like saying that since Virginia already had a state Constitution it should have become the Constitution of the US, or that the UK's Constitution should have become that of the EU.
The Legislature in my proposal has the authority to do what needs to be done, and my hope would be that the examples worked out in Nstadt would be heavily considered. However, take a look at the list of laws on the city wiki. How many of those are appropriate for, or apply to, every potential member government of the CDS?
As to the government setup of new member governments (not franchulates in my nomenclature), some may choose to have the same or similar structures to Nstadt, others may try innovative or experimental democratic forms. In the long run, this strengthens democracy in virtual worlds while allowing for the CDS to meet its potential in avoiding and arbitrating disputes and enforcing contracts.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11rssx4d]There was a competition some time ago to choose our new name, a vote was called, and the name "Confederation of Democratic Simulators" was chosen. It would be wholly wrong now to change the name again. [/quote:11rssx4d]

If that name is to be kept, fine. I don't think that's the important thing here, though I do think that Commonwealth avoids some of the confusion that Confederation creates.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11rssx4d]A constitution that is this vague is, I am afraid, no basis at all for any sort of meaningful government, democratic or otherwise. Why are you suggesting that we discard a perfectly good constitution that we have spent an enormous amount of effort slowly refining so that each and every tiny batch of ten or twenty people who want to join us by enfranchulation will have to do the same laborious task all over again?[/quote:11rssx4d]

I've dealt with these concerns above.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11rssx4d]The proposals that I have already made about local government by [i:11rssx4d]delegated[/i:11rssx4d] powers enables local areas to have really very significant autonomy indeed in many important respects, but does not fracture the CDS, as your proposal does, or render the constitution so vague as to be little more than a series of approximate aspirations as to how things should be done in general. The CDS is a [i:11rssx4d]nation[/i:11rssx4d], not a club of nations.

I am afraid that your proposal is very seriously misconceived indeed, and most dangerous. Let us not disintegrate into tiny groups held together only in name, but let us work together closely to build a serious and lasting nation with in SecondLife.

[i:11rssx4d]United we stand, divided we fall[/i:11rssx4d].[/quote:11rssx4d]

The CDS is, in fact, nothing right now. It is one and half sims. This is absolutely the appropriate time to have this discussion. My proposal creates a meaningful union of democratically-governed sims and individuals who wish to be subject to its laws (for the assurances of customers or out of personal interest in democracy), and would appeal to a broader group than we currently do.

I did cut out some of your questions about points 3 and 4 of my notes, which I shall address here.
Why allow Nstadt autonomy to develop in its own way while being part of CDS? To assume that our experiment with one small group of people over a period of a few years is now tried and true and ready to be the government of potentially thousands of people is misguided. The more experiment and innovation we allow, the more democracy can take hold in virtual worlds like SL. The more CDS can encourage member governments and help provide for the common good, the more it will encourage people in democratic experimentation. This also explains why it is beneficial to disentangle the CDS from Nstadt as much as possible.
Why establish a broader path to citizenship? To extend the benefits of enforceable contracts and democratic government to as many people as possible.
In conclusion, we have all affirmed the value of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The CDS as proposed in this Constitution allows more people to have and defend those rights within SL. At minimum, it deserves serious consideration if not enthusiastic support.

Tad Peckham
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Tad Peckham »

gxeremio,

i think you have created a constitution that deserves serious consideration. you have composed a document that promotes self-governing sims within the cds, while at the same time making allowances for those self-governing sims to pool their resources together when needed, and pass universal laws when needed. in particular, i find the section on 'at-large' membership to be of particular importance. by creating 'at-large' members, you are helping to foster a system of government that is not only practical for independent simulators, but one that is attractive to individual sl users.

at this point in time, i see little evidence for the need to create complex systems of government within the cds. however, your document is sophisticated enough to allow for expansion into more complex systems of government when, or if those systems are needed.

lastly, i approve of your change in name from confederate to commonwealth. i think commonwealth is less confusing, while at the same time having the strong implication of self governance amongst cds members.

i hope this proposal is taken seriously, and i look forward to reading proposed revisions.

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":3kmxbeyv]This doesn't abolish anything. The constitution of Nstadt remains the constitution of Nstadt.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

The constitution as it stands is not [i:3kmxbeyv]just[/i:3kmxbeyv] the constitution of Neufreistadt. The government of Neufreistadt recently purchased Colonia Nova. The constution is the constitution by which Colonia Nova is governed, too. The Judiciary Act amends the name of the constitution to "The Constitution of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators" and replaces all the references to "Neufreistadt" with references to "The Confederation of Democratic Simulators". What you proopse, therefore, would reverse the present position.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]This proposal creates a minimalist structure on which a multi-sim government can be built.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

First of all, as stated above, it is well below what would suffice for even a minimal structure. It is little more than a set of vague aspirations.

Secondly, why do you think that it is good to have a merely minimal structure?

[quote:3kmxbeyv] I see this whole thing as akin to states in the US, or more rightly countries in the EU.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

The EU was formed as a club of pre-existing nation states, and that fact has been the most important factor in shaping how the EU has evolved. Every single nation state in the EU has existed for many times longer than the EU itself (in some cases, over a hundred times longer in some form or another), and already had in place highly developed national legal and political structures that would have been absurd (and politically impossible) to sweep away, and start again with an EU (then EEC)-wide single legal and political system. Even the states of the US were well-established entities, with their own well-developed political and legal structures, when the USA was formed, although they were all far younger than the EU, which is no doubt why they were happier with a federal structure, rather than merely a club of nations structure as adopted by the EU.

Our situation is vastly different. We are a tiny emergant nation in a world in which there is as yet hardly any government. We plan to expand, and, in expanding, bring our vision of a civil and ordered virtual soceity to parts of SecondLife that have not previously had government at all. We are not agglomorating existing governments, as the EU/EC/EEC and US did when they were founded, but starting afresh, and bringing land under governmental control that was not previously governed in any real way at all. There are no existing structures to preserve. It makes far more sense, therefore, that all areas that come under our control do not have to become a state, set up their own fully-functioning government and legal systems, and only [i:3kmxbeyv]then[/i:3kmxbeyv] apply to join a club of nations, but put their land under the control of our existing, unitary government, and, at the same time, negotiate and agree on what central government powers should be delegated to the local government, and what the structure of that local government should be.

Why do you think that SecondLife needs a club of nations when it has only have three entities that could be described as nations (us, Caledon and Port Neualtenburg), and two of those will almost certainly not want to join any such club?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]Each state/country maintains its own autonomy in important ways (when to vote, choosing local leaders, qualifications for citizenship that may be above and beyond CDS requirements, provision of additional rights/privileges above and beyond CDS privileges, etc.) while allowing the new super-government (by super I mean above) to regulate contracts, arbitrate disputes, set rules as needed, and collect and share information.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

You still have not answered my question that I posted above about what having lots of truly independent nations that all voluntarily join (and only voluntarily stay in) a club of nations like the EU will achieve in this regard that having a unitary nation that delegates some of its powers to local governments will not. Why have you not answered it?

As I have already stated a number of times now, a central unitary government that delegates some of its powers to local governments could enable local governments to:

* have their own budget (including local taxation);

* have elections for their own local representatives from only the local population, as well as have the local population take part in national elections (along with everybody else);

* set restrictions on who may join that particular locality, which do not apply to other parts of the CDS (such as a requirement that people who join an Esperanto region speak or be seriously interested in learning to speak Esperanto);

* create local bylaws regulating behaviour in the locality (such as a requirement, in an Esperanto region, that people always speak in Esperanto except in certain defined circumstances);

* provide local services to local citizens;

* set he local theme(s); and

* institute and enforce local planning law and policy.

What more than this, exactly, do you want, and why?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]Again, the structure already created is not affected by this proposal.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

As explained above, the structure already created [i:3kmxbeyv]is[/i:3kmxbeyv] the structure of the CDS, not just of one of the geographical regions governed thereby.

[quote:3kmxbeyv] It continues to govern as much territory as it ever has, perhaps even more depending how Colonia Nova is organized. This proposal makes it possible for the CDS to function as a super-government, and for other sims which might wish to organize democratically and join, it gives more of an even footing and a sense of being partners rather than serfs.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

Upon what possible basis do you contend that anybody in the CDS is or will be treated like a serf under a model of unitary government? That is a wholly bizarre and absurd assertion.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]The purpose of the CDS is to allow enforceable contracts, to provide help (work for the common good) of the citizens, and all the other purposes mentioned in the Preamble.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

The purposes of the CDS are the same as those of any nation. Incidentally, you might note that your analogy is not accurate: the EU, and even, to some extent, the US, has a different legal system, and different rules of contract, in each state. That is because, and only because, those systems and rules existed and had developed before those pre-existing nations banded together to form a club of nations, in the case of the EU, or a federation, in the case of the US.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]I don't need to go over each point of the current Constitution, because my argument is not to destroy it. I will say that the current Constitution of Nstadt doesn't and probably can't provide for rules for member states, nor for at-large citizens, nor for the collection and dissemination of bonding information on citizens, which this new Constitution calls for.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

You have failed to address the point, which was why, exactly, you claim that the current constitution is not suitable for being the constitution of the wider CDS. What, precisely, about each individual part of it makes that individual part unsuited for the task of being the constitution of the wider CDS?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]Again, to use my original comparison, this is like saying that since Virginia already had a state Constitution it should have become the Constitution of the US, or that the UK's Constitution should have become that of the EU.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

That is not a valid comparison, since, when the US was created, there was not only the constitution of Virginia, but of all the other states as well, each of which had existed for about as long as, and were as well-developed as, each other. That is not the case here. There is one relatively well-developed government, and the rest of the grid has no government at all. It makes far more sense to extend the existing government (whilst providing for some local government by delegation) than making a club of governments, and hoping that other governments will form themselves just to join the club. That does not seem very likely given how few governments have emerged from scratch in the three years that SecondLife has been operating.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]The Legislature in my proposal has the authority to do what needs to be done, and my hope would be that the examples worked out in Nstadt would be heavily considered. However, take a look at the list of laws on the city wiki. How many of those are appropriate for, or apply to, every potential member government of the CDS?[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

The only legislation that is not appropriate is the planning legislation, and that has [i:3kmxbeyv]already[/i:3kmxbeyv] been made applicable only to Neufreistadt, with separate rules for Colonia Nova. But the point that you take does not in any event make any sense: so far, the CDS has included just Neufreistadt. It is hardly surprising, therefore, that its legislature has been making a goodly number of laws that are relevant just to Neufreistadt.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]As to the government setup of new member governments (not franchulates in my nomenclature), some may choose to have the same or similar structures to Nstadt, others may try innovative or experimental democratic forms. In the long run, this strengthens democracy in virtual worlds while allowing for the CDS to meet its potential in avoiding and arbitrating disputes and enforcing contracts.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

Why do you think that a large number of different, contradictory structures, each of which has to be re-invented from scratch every time that a small group of people wants to join us is a good, rather than a bad, thing? Why have you not addressed the point that I made above about it being grotesquely wasteful, and a huge discouragement to those who wish to join us, to require each and every little group that wants to enfranchulate with us to have to create its own comprehensive state government and legal system from scratch?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]The CDS is, in fact, nothing right now. It is one and half sims.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

That is a contradiction: either we are nothing, or we are a government of one and a half sims.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]This is absolutely the appropriate time to have this discussion. My proposal creates a meaningful union of democratically-governed sims and individuals who wish to be subject to its laws (for the assurances of customers or out of personal interest in democracy), and would appeal to a broader group than we currently do.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

As I ask above, what, precisely, do you think that this acheives that a unitary government that delegates powers to local governments does not?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]Why allow Nstadt autonomy to develop in its own way while being part of CDS? To assume that our experiment with one small group of people over a period of a few years is now tried and true and ready to be the government of potentially thousands of people is misguided.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

Why? Why do you think that a system that has been developed carefully by many people over many months is not superior to a whole slew of systems that have not?

[quote:3kmxbeyv] The more experiment and innovation we allow, the more democracy can take hold in virtual worlds like SL.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

What precisely is the basis for your claim that limiting the governmental structure that we already have from expanding by enfranchulation will enable more, rather than less, democracy to take hold? You claim that experimention is improved by diversity, and yet you seek to restrict, quite without good cause, one particular permutation, that is the CDS, with its present constitution, expanding by enfranchulation as fast as demand and capacity will allow. By seeking to restrict the operation of our present constitution to one or two sims, you are restricting, not enlarging, the scope of our experiment. Other people are, and always have been, free to set up rival governments, experimenting with quite different structures, but very few ever have done (Caledon and Port Neualtenburg being perhaps the only true examples that are not role-playing sims, such as the Goreans). Why do you think that creating a club of nations for other pre-existing nations to join will mean that there will be more people creating nations than there already are?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]The more CDS can encourage member governments and help provide for the common good, the more it will encourage people in democratic experimentation. This also explains why it is beneficial to disentangle the CDS from Nstadt as much as possible.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

You seem to think that our aim is to help other people create other governments. It is not. Our aim is to propogate, and by propogating, test our own, existing structure of government, and how it copes with an ever expanding, and ever more diverse population. Your premises are contradictory: you claim at once that it is good to encourage experimentation, yet you seek to limit the existing experiment of our government by claiming that our existing government ought not expand, but stay forever the government of, and only of, a single little island sim called Neufreistadt. Why?

[quote:3kmxbeyv]Why establish a broader path to citizenship? To extend the benefits of enforceable contracts and democratic government to as many people as possible.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

What you are suggesting is a far narrower, not a broader path to citizenship: your model does, and our existing model does not, require anybody who wants to become a citizen of a new area, rather than merely buying land in our existing sims, get together and create a whole state-level government from scratch. The enfranchulation model requires only that people join our existing government with their land, and, if they want to, negotiate a small and simple local government structure whose powers are delegated from central government.

[quote:3kmxbeyv]In conclusion, we have all affirmed the value of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The CDS as proposed in this Constitution allows more people to have and defend those rights within SL. At minimum, it deserves serious consideration if not enthusiastic support.[/quote:3kmxbeyv]

You have not explained how what you propose could possibly increase the number of citizens compared to the existing model, which is the expansion of the present CDS government to greater territory. Indeed, forcing all new entrants to create their own, fully-functioning state government from scratch before they join is likely to be a very significant barrier to entry indeed.

Ashcroft Burnham

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Replies to Ashcroft's concerns and further examples

Ashcroft, let me try to clarify this whole affair by giving you an example I've used before. Eventually, I would like to have a sim of Esperanto speakers that would be democratically governed and affiliated with the CDS.
Here are the benefits this hypothetical sim (let's called it Esperantujo for the sake of argument) would gain from being in the CDS as I have proposed it:
A. A fraternal organization of democratic governments (perhaps adopting many featues of Nstadt or other member governments to save time in setting up)
B. The possibility of enforceable contracts with a group beyond its own citizenry
C. Taking part in a judiciary and government services which allows better division of labor and more professionalism
D. Having something to offer potential citizens that makes citizenship in Esperantujo more attractive and more meaningful.

And here are the benefits to the CDS of having Esperantujo as a member government, as I imagine it:
A. A wider base of citizens on which to levy fees as needed.
B. More citizens with whom enforceable contracts and dispute arbitration are possible.
C. An additional democratic government, adding to the possibilities for new ideas and innovations tried on a smaller scale before being adopted by the whole CDS.
D. A larger base of citizens from whom to draw public servants.

Esperantujo would probably not want to be a vassal state of Nstadt as imagined by your plan. We would want to choose how we send representatives to the Legislature, when we have our elections, and feel like we were equal partners with other member governments. So the choice is between having member governments like Esperantujo and getting the benefits described above, or not having them. Giving people a REASON to create democratic sim governments is, in my view, the best way to encourage their creation. The fact that Nstadt is the only one so far shows that people don't see a reason to create them yet. A strong yet flexible CDS as I have outlined in this proposal presents many compelling reasons to create new democratic sim governments and then affiliate them with the CDS, to the benefit of all. Best of all, this growth would be driven by people starting sims on their own initiative (demand) and not by creating sims and then inviting people to move in (artificial supply).

You are right in saying the recent bill had a section on changing the name of the Nstadt Constitution to the Constitution of the CDS. It's no wonder I overlooked this, as it is not part of the bill's title. I recommend that section be struck from the code, and my new Constitution for the CDS be adopted.

As to your arguments about inefficiency of recreating new governments when there's a good one in place in Nstadt, I would say that under my proposal it would be entirely possible for people to copy Nstadt's forms, if they like. But, importantly, it's also possible to try new things without having to get the permission of the RA, or even the Legislature. Governments work because of the contexts they are in. The government of the UK works in the UK, the government of the US works in the US, the government of Canada works in Canada, even though these governents are all very different from one another. To say we should apply the government of the US to every other country is presumptuous and would work against the spread of democracy. To say all governments in SL must be like Nstadt's to benefit from "international law", as it were, is also presumptuous and works against the spread of democracy here.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":1jo6hukj]You seem to think that our aim is to help other people create other governments. It is not. Our aim is to propogate, and by propogating, test our own, existing structure of government, and how it copes with an ever expanding, and ever more diverse population. Your premises are contradictory: you claim at once that it is good to encourage experimentation, yet you seek to limit the existing experiment of our government by claiming that our existing government ought not expand, but stay forever the government of, and only of, a single little island sim called Neufreistadt. Why? [/quote:1jo6hukj]

Really? Have you polled the opinions of others on this topic? I think many here want to see democracy spread in SL generally, not necessarily the type that has been evolving in Nstadt and which has been evolving rapidly in the last few weeks and remains untested.
The proposal I have submitted could surely be amended to allow multi-sim governments, if that would be desired. However, it would limit the number of representatives in the Legislature, unless the whole thing was moved to proportional representation. And that would be alright too.
It seems, my friend, that you are quite married to your proposal and can't see alternatives. Try to do so for the sake of democracy in virtual worlds.

Last edited by Gxeremio Dimsum on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Another thought

By the way, it occurs to me that although you keep saying that a central unitary government COULD allow some limited freedoms to individual sim members, there has been no provision for that so far. Mine is the first proposal that I know of that actually makes a provision for local government within the CDS.
The immediate question, obviously, and the reason this issue should be dealt with soon, is that Colonia Nova is being built. What will its status be?

A. An extension of Nstadt, part of its government by default?
B. A member government of CDS, with the freedom to develop on its own terms (perhaps emulating some of the democratic structures of ancient Rome)?
C. Something else?

Whether or not CN is A, B, or C, what about future sims added?

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Replies to Ashcroft's concerns and further examples

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":wdq14src]Ashcroft, let me try to clarify this whole affair by giving you an example I've used before. Eventually, I would like to have a sim of Esperanto speakers that would be democratically governed and affiliated with the CDS.
Here are the benefits this hypothetical sim (let's called it Esperantujo for the sake of argument) would gain from being in the CDS as I have proposed it:
A. A fraternal organization of democratic governments (perhaps adopting many featues of Nstadt or other member governments to save tim in setting up)
B. The possibility of enforceable contracts with a group beyond its own citizenry
C. Taking part in a judiciary and government services which allows better division of labor and more professionalism
D. Having something to offer potential citizens that makes citizenship in Esperantujo more attractive and more meaningful.

And here are the benefits to the CDS of having Esperantujo as a member government, as I imagine it:
A. A wider base of citizens on which to levy fees as needed.
B. More citizens with whom enforceable contracts and dispute arbitration are possible.
C. An additional democratic government, adding to the possibilities for new ideas and innovations tried on a smaller scale before being adopted by the whole CDS.
D. A larger base of citizens from whom to draw public servants.

Esperantujo would probably not want to be a vassal state of Nstadt as imagined by your plan.[/quote:wdq14src]

Why not, exactly? What precisely do you contend that the benefits are of what you propose over the present system?

[quote:wdq14src]We would want to choose how we send representatives to the Legislature, when we have our elections, and feel like we were equal partners with other member governments. So the choice is between having member governments like Esperantujo and getting the benefits described above, or not having them. [/quote:wdq14src]

The choice is between us expanding the area controlled by our present government, or giving up on doing that, and making a club of nations, and hoping that other nations will join it. That is a vastly different aim than the aim of what is now the CDS has ever been or ever ought to be. Why should we scale back our ambitions? What benefit would that bring us?

[quote:wdq14src]Giving people a REASON to create democratic sim governments is, in my view, the best way to encourage their creation.[/quote:wdq14src]

Why is it up to us to encourage the creation of other governments, rather than to spread our existing government?

[quote:wdq14src] The fact that Nstadt is the only one so far shows that people don't see a reason to create them yet. A strong yet flexible CDS as I have outlined in this proposal presents many compelling reasons to create new democratic sim governments and then affiliate them with the CDS, to the benefit of all.[/quote:wdq14src]

The CDS that you have outlined is not strong at all: it is extremely weak.

[quote:wdq14src]Best of all, this growth would be driven by people starting sims on their own initiative (demand) and not by creating sims and then inviting people to move in (artificial supply). [/quote:wdq14src]

That benefit is not a unique benefit of what you propose: it is equally a benefit under the existing franchulates arrangement.

[quote:wdq14src]You are right in saying the recent bill had a section on changing the name of the Nstadt Constitution to the Constitution of the CDS. It's no wonder I overlooked this, as it is not part of the bill's title. I recommend that section be struck from the code, and my new Constitution for the CDS be adopted.[/quote:wdq14src]

It is too late: the Judiciary Act has been debated over many months, and has twice been passed, albeit resubmitted by the Scientific Council for revision of unrelated points. It is about to be passed for a third and hopefully final time. Our legislature would be insane to go back and change something now into which so much effort has gone.

[quote:wdq14src]As to your arguments about inefficiency of recreating new governments when there's a good one in place in Nstadt, I would say that under my proposal it would be entirely possible for people to copy Nstadt's forms, if they like.[/quote:wdq14src]

If people are just going to copy the existing structures, what possible advantage is it to them to do so, rather than merely join us as we stand now?

[quote:wdq14src]But, importantly, it's also possible to try new things without having to get the permission of the RA, or even the Legislature.[/quote:wdq14src]

Why would that be a good thing? What is wrong with strong and effective central government?

[quote:wdq14src]Governments work because of the contexts they are in. The government of the UK works in the UK, the government of the US works in the US, the government of Canada works in Canada, even though these governents are all very different from one another. To say we should apply the government of the US to every other country is presumptuous and would work against the spread of democracy. [/quote:wdq14src]

That is incoherent for the reasons that I have already given and you have wholly failed to address: the only reason that one cannot sensibly propogate the government of the US or the UK or Canada to the rest of the world is because they already have their own, established governments. That is not true for much of SecondLife, and therefore this point is, at best, irrelevant.

[quote:wdq14src]To say all governments in SL must be like Nstadt's to benefit from "international law", as it were, is also presumptuous and works against the spread of democracy here.[/quote:wdq14src]

The flaw is in your premise that it is international, rather than national, law that the CDS seeks to propogate. What is the basis for that premise? You also assume, without providing any reasons in support thereof, that there will be fewer regions that are democratically governed if the CDS as it is now spreads, rather than if the CDS is artificially confined to Neufreistadt, and your vague commonwealth encourages other nations to spring up and then join. What possible basis is there for that assumption?

[quote:wdq14src]Really? Have you polled the opinions of others on this topic? I think many here want to see democracy spread in SL generally, not necessarily the type that has been evolving in Nstadt and which has been evolving rapidly in the last few weeks and remains untested.[/quote:wdq14src]

Why is that? If people want to create other governments, they are free to do so, but there is no reason why our aim, as an established nation state, should be to help to propogate rival governments, rather than spread what we believe is the beneficial effect of our own government.

[quote:wdq14src]It seems, my friend, that you are quite married to your proposal and can't see alternatives. Try to do so for the sake of democracy in virtual worlds.[/quote:wdq14src]

Why do you claim that I merely "cannot see" alternatives when I have engaged with you in this debate in quite a great deal of detail, explaining at some length why what you propose is flawed? There is a difference between rejecting something because one does not care to think about it, and rejecting something because, having thought about it, one has concluded that it ought be rejected. Upon what possible basis do you claim, given the detail into which I have gone in this post and the last, that my rejection is of the former, rather than the latter type?

Furthermore, I notice that you have pointedly failed to address many, many of the points that I have made, and failed to answer many, many of the questions that I have asked (to give but one important example, the question about what more precisely that you would want than what I suggest can be the powers of local government under the present system and, in respect of each additional thing, why precisely you would want it). The only conclusion to which one can come from that is that you have not addressed the points against your proposal because they are unassailable, and have not answered the questions because they are unanswerable in any way consistent with a preference for your model. You cannot expect to engage in a debate by making points, and then, when somebody replies in some detail, explaining carefully why your points are wrong, reply ignoring much of that explanation and merely making your original poitns again in different words.

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Another thought

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":3i36x5ea]By the way, it occurs to me that although you keep saying that a central unitary government COULD allow some limited freedoms to individual sim members, there has been no provision for that so far. [/quote:3i36x5ea]

That is because there have been no franculates so far. The Chancellor has the power to delegate any of her powers to any person or body that she sees fit, and there is no reason why that could not include local governments. It is correct that it has not finally been decided by anybody yet that the Chancellor will, actually, do this, but the arguments that you make for some degree of local autonomy are strong arguments in favour of the Chancellor doing so (but no argument in favour of relegating the CDS to the status of nothing more than a club of nations).

[quote:3i36x5ea]
The immediate question, obviously, and the reason this issue should be dealt with soon, is that Colonia Nova is being built. What will its status be?

A. An extension of Nstadt, part of its government by default?
B. A member government of CDS, with the freedom to develop on its own terms (perhaps emulating some of the democratic structures of ancient Rome)?
C. Something else?

Whether or not CN is A, B, or C, what about future sims added?[/quote:3i36x5ea]

The position at present is that, unless and until the Representative Assembly or Chancellor decide otherwise, Colonia Nova is and will continue to be governed by the same people and rules as Neufreistadt. That does not, however, mean that nobody will or should decide that some of the Chancellor's authority should be delegated to a local Prerator.

Ashcroft Burnham

Tad Peckham
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Tad Peckham »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":y21xkwaq]
Our situation is vastly different. We are a tiny emergant nation in a world in which there is as yet hardly any government. We plan to expand, and, in expanding, bring our vision of a civil and ordered virtual soceity to parts of SecondLife that have not previously had government at all. We are not agglomorating existing governments, as the EU/EC/EEC and US did when they were founded, but starting afresh, and bringing land under governmental control that was not previously governed in any real way at all.[/quote:y21xkwaq]

that sounds a bit too much like colonialism and assimilation to me. while reading this, i am reminded of the us government's attempt to bring law to the native american 'savages', only to decimate the way of life for hundreds of sophisticated native tribes. signs of our ignorance towards native americans' can still be seen today all over our country, and we should learn a lesson from our ignorance. my point is that bringing law to the lawless is a noble idea, but unless you include those people in the creation of the laws under which they will live, the negative implications could disastrous. moreover, you assume that the people you wish to bring into the cds are, in fact, lawless.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":y21xkwaq]There are no existing structures to preserve. It makes far more sense, therefore, that all areas that come under our control do not have to become a state, set up their own fully-functioning government and legal systems, and only [i:y21xkwaq]then[/i:y21xkwaq] apply to join a club of nations, but put their land under the control of our existing, unitary government, and, at the same time, negotiate and agree on what central government powers should be delegated to the local government, and what the structure of that local government should be.[/quote:y21xkwaq]

in that case i would suggest you consider writing an amendment to this constitution offering benefits to new cds simulators for adopting the neufreistadt constitution. however, simply imposing our laws on to other simulators does not, in my mind, make them free 'democratic simulators'. what it makes them are simulators that have been colonized by our democratic law. that isn't the same thing.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":y21xkwaq]Why do you think that SecondLife needs a club of nations when it has only have three entities that could be described as nations (us, Caledon and Port Neualtenburg), and two of those will almost certainly not want to join any such club?[/quote:y21xkwaq]

i don't understand why you think sl needs a vast and complex system of government. why not let each simulator decide for itself, while creating opportunities for those simulators to pool resources and learn from one another? furthermore, as second life becomes more complex, the role of the cds under gxeremio's plan allows for the government to expand if needed

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":y21xkwaq]You seem to think that our aim is to help other people create other governments. It is not.[/quote:y21xkwaq]

really? i disagree with this as well: see above. judging on your overall number of posts i think your opinion on this matter might be more vocal than others, but there are those of us who think the cds should be about helping others create their own systems of government.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Tad Peckham":5us4mq3b]that sounds a bit too much like colonialism and assimilation to me. while reading this, i am reminded of the us government's attempt to bring law to the native american 'savages', only to decimate the way of life for hundreds of sophisticated native tribes. signs of our ignorance towards native americans' can still be seen today all over our country, and we should learn a lesson from our ignorance. my point is that bringing law to the lawless is a noble idea, but unless you include those people in the creation of the laws under which they will live, the negative implications could disastrous. moreover, you assume that the people you wish to bring into the cds are, in fact, lawless.[/quote:5us4mq3b]

This makes no sense at all, since we are not [i:5us4mq3b]conquering[/i:5us4mq3b] anybody, but giving people the opportunity voluntarily to join us. Why should we not give individuals and groups the opportunity of joining our existing government, rather than forcing them to create their own government, and then join a vague and loosly-associated club of nations if they are going to have any of the benefits of our system of government?

Your basic premise seems to be that there is something fundamentally different between individuals and groups on the mainland joining the CDS by giving us their land, and then renting it back from us and individuals just renting land in Neufreistadt or Colonia Nova. What do you think that that difference is, such that you think that it is true in the former case, but not in the latter, that "disasterous consequences" would result if the people in question did not get to write their own code of laws, rather than agreeing, on joining, to abide by ours? The reality is that everyone in the CDS, under the present system, has enfranchisement in the political process by means of universal sufferage. What, precisely, is inadequate about that, do you claim?

[quote:5us4mq3b]in that case i would suggest you consider writing an amendment to this constitution offering benefits to new cds simulators for adopting the neufreistadt constitution.[/quote:5us4mq3b]

Which constitution - the one that is proposed above, or our existing one? If the latter, no amendments are needed: the benefits of joining us are already very great.

[quote:5us4mq3b]however, simply imposing our laws on to other simulators does not, in my mind, make them free 'democratic simulators'. what it makes them are simulators that have been colonized by our democratic law. that isn't the same thing. [/quote:5us4mq3b]

I cannot for the life of me understand where on earth you get this bizarre idea from that our law or government will, or possibly could even if we wanted it, be [i:5us4mq3b]imposed[/i:5us4mq3b] on anybody. People will be given the [i:5us4mq3b]opportunity[/i:5us4mq3b] to join us as citizens, either in the conventional way by renting land from us in Neufreistadt or Colonia Nova, or the new way of acquiring mainland land through us, or voluntatily putting their existing mainland holdings under our control, in return for the benefits that we provide. What offering people either of those two opportunities could conceivably constitute any impostition of anything whatsoever?

[quote:5us4mq3b]i don't understand why you think sl needs a vast and complex system of government.[/quote:5us4mq3b]

That is not answering the question about why you think that a world in which there are only three nations needs a club of nations that two of those nations will almost certainly not join. Not answering the questions very strongly suggests that you have no answer because there is no answer.

And to answer [i:5us4mq3b]your[/i:5us4mq3b] question, we already have the government of Neufreistadt, the government under whose control you voluntarily placed yourself when you joined Neufreistadt. I do not agree that it is "vast": it is far smaller and simpler than any real-world government and legal system by more orders of magnitude than one could imagine. Why should we not give people the opportunity to join it, not only by purchasing land in Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova, but by placing their mainland holdings under our control in return for the benefits that our government offers them?

[quote:5us4mq3b]why not let each simulator decide for itself, while creating opportunities for those simulators to pool resources and learn from one another?[/quote:5us4mq3b]

Each individual or group [i:5us4mq3b]does[/i:5us4mq3b] decide for itself: it can either remain as it is, with no government at all, join the CDS, with our existing, carefully structured government that has worked well for us so far, and under which a degree of delegated local government can operate, or make its own government. What is wrong with that set of choices?

[quote:5us4mq3b]furthermore, as second life becomes more complex, the role of the cds under gxeremio's plan allows for the government to expand if needed[/quote:5us4mq3b]

Our system of government is already designed to be able to expand significantly. Why do we need a whole new (and catastrophically vague) system instead?

[quote:5us4mq3b]really? i disagree with this as well: see above. judging on your overall number of posts i think your opinion on this matter might be more vocal than others, but there are those of us who think the cds should be about helping others create their own systems of government.[/quote:5us4mq3b]

That is, and never has been, the aim of the CDS. We were founded as Neualtenburg, the first democratic collective in SecondLife, to provide an orderly, law-governed, themed community in one of the early snow simulators on the mainland. That community then expanded, and moved onto the private island that we occupy to-day. There was a dispute with one of the founders, and a few people left to form Port Neualtenburg, but we continued, changing our name to Neufreistadt, and continued to expand and become more successful. We became so successful that we decided to add a second island, which was to have a Roman theme, instead of a medeival Bavarian one. That was to be called Colonia Nova.

We then realised that we could not go on calling ourselves "Neufreistadt", since we were also going to cover Colonia Nova, as well. So, a new name had to be invented for the overall government, to divorce it from any of the individual geographical regions that we governed. The name "Confederation of Democratic Simulators" was chosen by an official process quite some time ago. We, the CDS, have now purcahsed Colonia Nova with the funds of what used to be called the government of Neufreistadt. It is part of the territory of what is now called the CDS. The Judiciary Act brings the wording of the constitution in line with what had already been decided.

At the same time, we (the people who rent land in Neufreistadt) thought about how we could expand to the mainland. One of us came up with the idea of franchulates, and that was debated and refined with the input of others. The principle now is that people can join us either in the conventional way, by renting land on the islands (Neufreistadt, Colonia Nova, and any other island that we purchase in the future), or by either (1) putting their existing mainland holdings under our government, by which they would then be citizens, because they would hold title to their land under the CDS; or (2) buying mainland from LL through us, paying us the money, us buying the mainland from LL, and us then renting it back to the original purchasor. There could then be some degree of local government for that area, powers being delegated from the Chancellor, if the land was purchased by a group that wished to retain (or create) a group identity and group-specific norms, whilst participating in the CDS.

Your argument above is not an argument as to why we [i:5us4mq3b]should not[/i:5us4mq3b] follow that model: you merely claim (albeit without any evidence in support) that there are unspecifed other people in Neufresitadt who agree with you for unspecificed reasons. Even if the whole world agreed with you, that would not make you right: that is the fallacy of [i:5us4mq3b][url=http://education.gsu.edu/spehar/FOCUS/E ... m:5us4mq3b]ad populam[/url:5us4mq3b][/i:5us4mq3b].

Ashcroft Burnham

Tad Peckham
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Tad Peckham »

[quote:3aypb0bs]This makes no sense at all, since we are not conquering anybody, but giving people the opportunity voluntarily to join us. Why should we not give individuals and groups the opportunity of joining our existing government, rather than forcing them to create their own government, and then join a vague and loosly-associated club of nations if they are going to have any of the benefits of our system of government?[/quote:3aypb0bs]

what i say makes perfect sense ashcroft. even if people willingly join the cds, that does not mean that those people fully comprehend the system of government they are buying into, nor does it preclude that our system of government will work best for them. while my native american analogy speaks to the worst case real-world scenario, it is certainly valid one. many native tribes willingly adapted their ways to conform with the us government, only to later regret it because they didn't fully understand the implications that adaptation would have on their culture and society. of course, the inverse is also true that many tribes resisted change. regardless, my point is that throughout history there are countless examples of peoples adopting to the laws of other societies only to later regret, and rebel against those laws. cultural, social, economic, religious, and political differences among mankind make it near impossible in my mind to have one set of laws in place that will work for everyone. in that case, why not let people decide for themselves how they should live, and build a cds that capitalizes on our common ground as well as our differences?

the problem here is that you suggest that we would be forcing new cds members to create their own government. i suggest that simulators wanting to joing the cds would already have a form of democratic government in place that works well for them. if they don't have a government already in place, they should be given the choice to adopt our constitution, or create their own.

lastly, to say that my argument makes no sense at all is highly disrespectful. just because you disagree with it, does not make it unintelligible.

[quote:3aypb0bs]The reality is that everyone in the CDS, under the present system, has enfranchisement in the political process by means of universal sufferage. What, precisely, is inadequate about that, do you claim?[/quote:3aypb0bs]

but it is only universal suffrage to the degree that prospective simulators have the right to accept our reject our current laws. you are really only offering prospective simulators one path: the path of neufreistadt and colonia nova. that isn't freedom, nor is it universal suffrage.

[quote:3aypb0bs]Which constitution - the one that is proposed above, or our existing one? If the latter, no amendments are needed: the benefits of joining us are already very great.[/quote:3aypb0bs]

sorry, i was talking about gxeremio's proposed constitution in this thread.

[quote:3aypb0bs]I cannot for the life of me understand where on earth you get this bizarre idea from that our law or government will, or possibly could even if we wanted it, be imposed on anybody. People will be given the opportunity to join us as citizens, either in the conventional way by renting land from us in Neufreistadt or Colonia Nova, or the new way of acquiring mainland land through us, or voluntatily putting their existing mainland holdings under our control, in return for the benefits that we provide. What offering people either of those two opportunities could conceivably constitute any impostition of anything whatsoever?[/quote:3aypb0bs]

i understand that the cds is a voluntary association. however, i think building a strong cds government should be decided by all members of that association: TRUE universal suffrage! we currently only offer one path to democracy for prospective members. why not incorporate a variety of virtual democracies and learn from one another? who is to say neufreistadt has the best virtual model for democracy? who is to say that someone else out there doesn't have a better idea we can learn from? why not foster strong democractic development within second life by examining a number of democratic models and incorporating them? if, in that process, simulators wish to adopt our model: great. however, although the cds is a voluntary association, we are still telling those members to adopt our laws and live by them. i still consider that a form of assimilation and colonization.

[quote:3aypb0bs]Why should we not give people the opportunity to join it, not only by purchasing land in Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova, but by placing their mainland holdings under our control in return for the benefits that our government offers them?[/quote:3aypb0bs]

i am not suggesting we don't do that. again, if people want to adopt our laws, i think that is great. we just shouldn't be in the position of imposing our rules upon each simulator that wishes to join the cds.

[quote:3aypb0bs]Each individual or group does decide for itself: it can either remain as it is, with no government at all, join the CDS, with our existing, carefully structured government that has worked well for us so far, and under which a degree of delegated local government can operate, or make its own government. What is wrong with that set of choices?[/quote:3aypb0bs]

i think i have already answered this question. our choices in terms of law and government may not work best for another simulator. the scope and theme of all simulators is not the same. just as the scope and theme of all nations is not the same. the people who inhabit those simulators are not the same and therefore certain laws we live by in nfs may not make logical sense to them.

[quote:3aypb0bs]That is, and never has been, the aim of the CDS.[/quote:3aypb0bs]

well, maybe it should be then. not sure what else to say to that point!

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Tad Peckham":3aj0sg7j]what i say makes perfect sense ashcroft. even if people willingly join the cds, that does not mean that those people fully comprehend the system of government they are buying into, nor does it preclude that our system of government will work best for them. while my native american analogy speaks to the worst case scenario, it is certainly valid one. many native tribes willingly adapted their ways to conform with the us government, only to later regret it because they didn't fully understand the implications that adaptation would have on their culture and society. throughout history there are countless examples of peoples adopting to the laws of other societies only to later regret, and rebel against those laws. cultural, social, economic, religious, and political differences among mankind make it near impossible in my mind to have one set of laws in place that will work for everyone. in that case, why not let people decide for themselves how they should live, and build a cds that capitalizes on our common ground as well as our differences?[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

Your point, [i:3aj0sg7j]again[/i:3aj0sg7j], utterly fails to address the substance of the issue. You assume, without any specific reason to do so, that people joining the CDS voluntarily will do so in ignorance of the consequences thereof, and that the consequences of them doing so will be dire. Do you really think that the rest of SecondLife, consisting of educated people all living in a modern soceity, is in the least comparable to the native Americans, who, in truth, had little choice in the matter? If so, upon what possible basis? Why do you think that people will regret joining our system any more than they will regret any particular choice that they make in inventing their own?

I notice that you have pointedly failed to answer my question about what is different about people joining us by putting mainland land under our control compared with just renting land in Neufreistadt or Colonia Nova. Is that not the crux of the issue? If you cannot find any substantial difference in principle between people joining the CDS by renting land in Neufreistadt or Colonia Nova, and people joining the CDS by putting their mainland land under our control, what conceivable basis could you have for asserting that offering people the latter, but not the former, option would have catastrophic consequences?

In any event, the idea that people will willingly join, but then later, through their own folly in joining something that they do not understand, later regret it, is vastly different from your original claim that what we are doing is "imposing" our laws on anybody in the spirit of "colonialism". Colonialism implies forced conquest, which is certainly not present on this model.

[quote:3aj0sg7j]the problem here is that you suggest that we would be forcing new cds members to create their own government. i suggest that simulators wanting to joing the cds would already have a form of democratic government in place that works well for them.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

Upon what possible basis do you suggest that? Name me one other democratic government in SecondLife.

[quote:3aj0sg7j]if they don't have a government already in place, they should be given the choice to adopt our constitution, or create their own.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

They already have that choice: they can either join the CDS, or create their own government. Then, maybe, one day, if and when there are lots of different democratic nations in SecondLife, we can create a new "Commonwealth of Virtual Nations" that does something similar to what Gxeremio wants our existing CDS to do. That is not a reason why our existing CDS, with its current government, should not seek itself to expand.

[quote:3aj0sg7j]lastly, to say that my argument makes no sense at all is highly disrespectful. just because you disagree with it, does not make it unintelligible.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

It [i:3aj0sg7j]is[/i:3aj0sg7j] unintelligible: you were claiming that we would somehow [i:3aj0sg7j]forcing[/i:3aj0sg7j] people to adopt our system of government, when it would be [i:3aj0sg7j]literally impossible[/i:3aj0sg7j] for us to do so. How can that be intelligible?

[quote:3aj0sg7j]but it is only universal suffrage to the degree that prospective simulators have the right to accept our reject our current laws. you are really only offering prospective simulators one path: the path of neufreistadt and colonia nova. that isn't freedom, nor is it universal suffrage.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

You misunderstand. People have the right to decide whether to join us or not. Once they join us, they can vote in any election, form their own factions, and propose legislation, just like every citizen. People who join us by any means will have no less say in how the CDS as a whole is run than any other citizen of the CDS. "Universal sufferage" means the right of all to vote. We have that. How can you possibly argue otherwise?

In any event, again what you claim makes no sense: we are not restricting anybody's freedom by offering people an opportunity, that is to join us, that they did not have before. We are [i:3aj0sg7j]increasing[/i:3aj0sg7j] people's freedom by giving them one extra choice. Furthermore, we are not [i:3aj0sg7j]stopping[/i:3aj0sg7j] them from creating their own government, either. If a good many democratic governments in SecondLife emerge, there may well be, as suggested above, value in having a Commonwealth of Virtual Nations. Unless and until that happens, however, we have no reason to encourage fractionation instead of unity.

[quote:3aj0sg7j]i understand that the cds is a voluntary association. however, i think building a strong cds government should be decided by all members of that association: TRUE universal suffrage![/quote:3aj0sg7j]

We already have a strong CDS government. What we should do should be decided by representative democracy, as has always been the basis of our government, and is the basis of virtually all real-world democratic governments. People will rarely all agree on everything: in cases of disagreement, there need to be robust and fair ways of resolving that disagreement to prevent deadlock.

[quote:3aj0sg7j]we currently only offer one path to democracy for prospective members. why not incorporate a variety of virtual democracies and learn from one another?[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

What you are proposing is not offering more options, but offering one option instead of another. You would have everyone who joined have to have their own government, and work under the auspices of a club of governments, whether they wanted to adopt our constitution or not. Why should people be denied the option of enfranchulating under the CDS in the way that has always been proposed up until now?

[quote:3aj0sg7j]who is to say neufreistadt has the best virtual model for democracy?[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

The best way of finding that out is to expand as much as possible and see how well our system works. Other people can, if they want, form their own governments, and we will see how well those work, too. What possible benefit could there be in assessing the ability of any particular model of government to work well by confining it indefinitely, as you propose, to one tiny geographical region, and not encouraging it to expand?

[quote:3aj0sg7j]who is to say that someone else out there doesn't have a better idea we can learn from?[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

Nobody else has tried any other democratic models yet. If and whey somebody does, we might be able to learn from it. Until then, we can but stick with what we have, and work on refining it, and bringing its great benefits to more and more people.

[quote:3aj0sg7j]why not foster strong democractic development within second life by examining a number of democratic models and incorporating them?[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

Incorporating them into what, precisely? Your premises are contradictory again. You start off by stating that it is best to experiment with different models of government, and then claim that the best way of doing so is by having a club of governments in the particular form that Gxeremio has proposed above, with lots of tiny state governments having a particular (albeit as yet unspecified) relationship with it. Is that not, however, suggesting that there be only one overall model of government, the tiny state within a club-of-governments umbrella organisation? What if the idea of a large unitary state with delegated powers local government works better? You do not propose that that should even be attempted. Why?

[quote:3aj0sg7j] if, in that process, simulators wish to adopt our model: great. however, although the cds is a voluntary association, we are still telling those members to adopt our laws and live by them. i still consider that a form of assimilation and colonization.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

That is absurd and contradictory. We are not telling anybody to do anything. We are offering people a chance to join us. Nobody has to join us. No compulsion is involved if we say that people may join us only if they do so on our terms. By offering people the opportunity to join us on our terms, we are offering people one more opportunity that they would have than if we did not exist at all. How can that conceivably be forcing anybody to do anything?

[quote:3aj0sg7j]i am not suggesting we don't do that. again, if people want to adopt our laws, i think that is great. we just shouldn't be in the position of imposing our rules upon each simulator that wishes to join the cds.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

What you write again makes no sense at all. What exactly does a person desire when a person desires to be a part of the CDS, except to be governed by, and have the benefit of, our laws? What point is there in joining the CDS [i:3aj0sg7j]other[/i:3aj0sg7j] than to have the benefit of our government and legal system? Again, it is utterly incoherent to suggest that giving people an option that they did not have before, and which they do not have to take, to join us and be bound by, and have the benefits of, our rules is imposing anything on anybody. Am I imposing something on you if I say, "would you like to buy my car, but if you do, you must pay me a £1,000"? If not, how, precisely, do you claim that we are different?

[quote:3aj0sg7j]i think i have already answered this question. our choices in terms of law and government may not work best for another simulator. the scope and theme of all simulators is not the same. just as the scope and theme of all nations is not the same. the people who inhabit those simulators are not the same and therefore certain laws we live by in nfs may not make logical sense to them.[/quote:3aj0sg7j]

If, for some reason, a group considered our laws not to be right for them, then it does not have to join us at all. But you have yet to provide any specific, solid reason for supposing that there is, in fact, something in particular wrong with our existing laws that would make that so for [i:3aj0sg7j]any[/i:3aj0sg7j] given geographical region, given the ability to have local governments. As I asked Gxeremio several times now, and he has [i:3aj0sg7j]still[/i:3aj0sg7j] not answered, what precise benefits do you claim arise from the system that he proposes that cannot arise from the local government by delegation model?

[quote:3aj0sg7j]well, maybe it should be then. not sure what else to say to that point![/quote:3aj0sg7j]

Why should we suddenly change our direction to be something vastly different, and greatly inferior, when we are just on the cusp of expanding very greatly indeed?

Ashcroft Burnham

Tad Peckham
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Tad Peckham »

[quote:1vbeuqdn]Your point, again, utterly fails to address the substance of the issue. You assume, without any specific reason to do so, that people joining the CDS voluntarily will do so in ignorance of the consequences thereof, and that the consequences of them doing so will be dire.[/quote:1vbeuqdn]
i am not suggesting they would be dire, i am suggesting it COULD be dire. there is a huge difference.
[quote:1vbeuqdn]Do you really think that the rest of SecondLife, consisting of educated people all living in a modern soceity, is in the least comparable to the native Americans, who, in truth, had little choice in the matter? If so, upon what possible basis? Why do you think that people will regret joining our system any more than they will regret any particular choice that they make in inventing their own?[/quote:1vbeuqdn]
i prefaced my analogy as being 'worst case', it would be nice if you would respect that analogy for what it is: worst case. it was the first analogy that came to my mind, so i used it. what i was trying to suggest was that if the us government had allowed native tribes to join our nation but retain their cultural traditions, laws, and land, then maybe many of the events that shame our history could have been avoided. maybe we could have learned a thing or two from natives instead of forcing our set of rules upon them. once again, i understand that prospective cds members are given a CHOICE to adapt to our laws, or not to join the cds. however, i will try once again to tell you why i don't really think that is offering people much of a choice.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]I notice that you have pointedly failed to answer my question about what is different about people joining us by putting mainland land under our control compared with just renting land in Neufreistadt or Colonia Nova. Is that not the crux of the issue?[/quote:1vbeuqdn]
i notice that you have pointedly failed to address my concerns over racial, religious, economic and political diversity amongst different sets of peoples and simulators. moreover, i pointedly told you that i am not against mainland expansion.
[quote:1vbeuqdn]In any event, the idea that people will willingly join, but then later, through their own folly in joining something that they do not understand, later regret it, is vastly different from your original claim that what we are doing is "imposing" our laws on anybody in the spirit of "colonialism". Colonialism implies forced conquest, which is certainly not present on this model.[/quote:1vbeuqdn]
i think it is a forced conquest of ideology. once again, i understand that membership to the cds is voluntary. my concern is that each simulator has different needs and therefore different sets of laws for those simulators might be needed. when appropriate, universal laws can be enacted by the cds, but i think it silly for all cds simulators to live under neufreistadt law when neufreistadt law might not make sense for them.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]Upon what possible basis do you suggest that? Name me one other democratic government in SecondLife.[/quote:1vbeuqdn]
it is my impression that caledon has a democratic government, although i could be wrong here. to me it makes sense that any simulator wishing to join a democratic association such as the cds would already have an idea of what democracy should look like in their simulator. if they do not have an idea for democracy, then i see nothing wrong with them adopting our constitution. i just don't think radification of our constitution should be compulsory for cds membership.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]They already have that choice: they can either join the CDS, or create their own government. Then, maybe, one day, if and when there are lots of different democratic nations in SecondLife, we can create a new "Commonwealth of Virtual Nations" that does something similar to what Gxeremio wants our existing CDS to do. That is not a reason why our existing CDS, with its current government, should not seek itself to expand.[/quote:1vbeuqdn]

i think this the crux. people like gxeremio are asking others to look cds in a different way.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]It is unintelligible: you were claiming that we would somehow forcing people to adopt our system of government, when it would be literally impossible for us to do so. How can that be intelligible?[/quote:1vbeuqdn]

but before they can become cds members, they have to accept our constitution as is. true, they will a vote once they are cds members, but that is only after they agreed to our sets of laws. it is not forced assimilation, but it is assimilation nonetheless. to put it another way, you are asking prospective cds members to adopt a constitution based on majority rule. democratic representation doesn't start for these simulators until they have adopted the majority rule constitution, and i am opposed to that.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]You misunderstand. People have the right to decide whether to join us or not. Once they join us, they can vote in any election, form their own factions, and propose legislation, just like every citizen. People who join us by any means will have no less say in how the CDS as a whole is run than any other citizen of the CDS. "Universal sufferage" means the right of all to vote. We have that. How can you possibly argue otherwise?[/quote:1vbeuqdn]

great, i understand that. what i am saying is that you want all simulators joining the cds to adopt our constitution. regardless of their willingness to do that or not, i disagree with that premise. i think the cds should be a commonwealth of nations where each person in those simulators can elect their own government, set their own constitution, and submit their own legislation to the cds based upon what is best for their society and the cds at-large.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]That is absurd and contradictory. We are not telling anybody to do anything. We are offering people a chance to join us. Nobody has to join us. No compulsion is involved if we say that people may join us only if they do so on our terms. By offering people the opportunity to join us on our terms, we are offering people one more opportunity that they would have than if we did not exist at all. How can that conceivably be forcing anybody to do anything?[/quote:1vbeuqdn]

all i was suggesting that if the cds acted as a commonwealth, we could incorporate other forms of democracies, learn from them, and build a stronger system. compulsion exists in prospective simulators willingness to adopt our laws. no one is forcing them to do so you are correct, but as it stands now, it is compulsory for cds states to adopt our constitution, and once again, that is my problem.

[quote:1vbeuqdn]But you have yet to provide any specific, solid reason for supposing that there is, in fact, something in particular wrong with our existing laws that would make that so for any given geographical region, given the ability to have local governments.[/quote:1vbeuqdn]
yes i have given you reasons, you have not addressed those reasons or told my why they are flawed. instead, you have only attempted to find what you think to be holes in my postings and exploit those holes as being unintelligible.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”