Christmas in Neufreistadt

Announcements of activities and events in CDS.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Christmas in Neufreistadt

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

I know that it is a little early to start thinking about the festive season, but, since we missed Oktoberfest, we had better start planning Christmas very soon indeed.

Neufreistadt, of course, has the perfect theme for Christmas, especially since it was originally built for a snow themed area. Sudane has said that it is easy to have snow on the ground, but that it takes a lot of work to replace all the trees with snowy trees, and that holders of private lots have to co-opreate with the trees on those lots, too. Sudane said that, last year, the snow was set to fall on the 1st of December.

I know that a lot of people are very busy, so perhaps we should organise a snow taskforce of lots of people each replacing a few non-snowy trees with snowy trees, since trees with snow look so lovely. I should be prepared to do a few trees, as long as others were also willing to assist.

We should also have a big decorated Christmas tree in the Platz, and perhaps some decorations on other public buildings such as the Rathaus and the info shop. Perhaps some of the music tracks in some of the public buildings could be changed to something more festive, too. A chestnut brazier could perhaps replace the beer keg in the Platz, and the Anzere infohub could perhaps also be so decorated.

Individual citizens could perhaps be encouraged to decorate their individual homes and shops, perhaps by using the (currently empty) resident vendor to give away free Christmas deocrations to citizens (any volunteers to make any? I could make a few baubals, although my building skills are somewhat basic). Also, it would be lovely if someone could develop a Christmas present script so that one could have a parcel object (a box with a Christmas paper texture) that, when touched by the owner on or after the 25th of December, but not before, dispenses some other object that constitutes the present. Sudane has suggested that I IM Garnet Psaltry about that, and am about to do so.

Also, we should have some Christmas themed events. The newly-formed CDS Players could, perhaps, consider a festively themed play, and the church group might want to think about a carol service. A Christmas ball would also be delightful (perhaps at a time compatible with those of us who live in Europe, this time?) Now, we just need to find somebody to dress up as Father Christmas (Santa Claus for all you Americans)...

For new year, we could celebrate that in Colonia Nova (new year, after all, being a pegal festival), with fireworks by the river, a party, and special events at the arena.

Any volunteers for doing or organising any of these things, or any other such ideas? We could give ourselves a great deal of favourable publicity by having Christmas themed events, and by making Neufreistadt even more charming than it already is for the festive season.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Saturnalia and Birth of Mithra in CN

Post by Beathan »

This is a good idea for Neufreistadt. I would like to propose something similar for Colonia Nova that would be in keeping with the Roman theme. I note that the Roman festival of Saturnalia traditionally began on the winter solstice (Dec 21) and lasted two weeks. Also, during that time, the Mystery Cult of Mithra celebrated the "Birth of Mithra" on December 25 (and had been doing so for a couple hundred years prior to the birth of Jesus).

Having a Romo-Pagan festival running in parallel to a Christmas festival could work to our advantage. First, we could intentionally set up comparisons as an educational experience for anyone interested in such comparisons. People not interested in the comparison could pick the religious festival of their choice -- Christmas for Christians, Mithraic-Saturnalia for Wiccans and NeoPagans.

Beathan

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Saturnalia and Birth of Mithra in CN

[quote="Beathan":3g6z5k3e]This is a good idea for Neufreistadt. I would like to propose something similar for Colonia Nova that would be in keeping with the Roman theme. I note that the Roman festival of Saturnalia traditionally began on the winter solstice (Dec 21) and lasted two weeks. Also, during that time, the Mystery Cult of Mithra celebrated the "Birth of Mithra" on December 25 (and had been doing so for a couple hundred years prior to the birth of Jesus).

Having a Romo-Pagan festival running in parallel to a Christmas festival could work to our advantage. First, we could intentionally set up comparisons as an educational experience for anyone interested in such comparisons. People not interested in the comparison could pick the religious festival of their choice -- Christmas for Christians, Mithraic-Saturnalia for Wiccans and NeoPagans.

Beathan[/quote:3g6z5k3e]

An intriguing idea!

Ashcroft Burnham

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

I think it's going to be a very good thing to have both of you folks bouncing ideas around together.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Chicago Kipling":n8h9lr9v]I think it's going to be a very good thing to have both of you folks bouncing ideas around together.[/quote:n8h9lr9v]

Now we just need to find people to [i:n8h9lr9v]implement[/i:n8h9lr9v] the ideas...

Ashcroft Burnham

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

I think it will have to be us, my friend. We're all stretched thin lately. Here's the stuff I think we can accomplish with relative ease:

snowy trees - Dec 1? > Jan 15?
big decorated Christmas tree
home decorations
Christmas Ball - Dec 10 Sunday afternoon?

The last would need some funds to pay a DJ as we did at our last event. The decorations could be done independantly and donated as people have time. (We wouldn't need too many.) The trees could be planted fairly easily as long as we agreed on a start date and received enough buy-in.

Thoughts, folks? I don't think a bill is needed, but it would be nice to hear from more folks on these four core ideas.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Chicago Kipling":15ax997q]I think it will have to be us, my friend. We're all stretched thin lately. Here's the stuff I think we can accomplish with relative ease:

snowy trees - Dec 1? > Jan 15?
big decorated Christmas tree
home decorations
Christmas Ball - Dec 10 Sunday afternoon?[/quote:15ax997q]

These all seem sensible, but perhaps we could have the snow lasting a little longer; snow is, after all, a winter thing, not necessarily just a Christmas thing, although the decorations should come down on the 15th.

The chestnut brazier would only need one relatively skilled builder to volunteer it, and the music would just need those who have control of the music at public locations to change it, so those can be compassed, too. Whether the church people can get a carol service going depends on whether they have enough time, I suppose, but there is no harm in suggesting it.

[quote:15ax997q] The last [the ball] would need some funds to pay a DJ as we did at our last event. The decorations could be done independantly and donated as people have time. (We wouldn't need too many.) The trees could be planted fairly easily as long as we agreed on a start date and received enough buy-in.

Thoughts, folks? I don't think a bill is needed, but it would be nice to hear from more folks on these four core ideas.[/quote:15ax997q]

I suspect that the authorisation for most of this could come from the Chancellor (Aliasi). But it would indeed be good to hear from others about (1) other ideas, and (2) offers of help in implementing these ones...

Ashcroft Burnham

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":191lucmx]I suspect that the authorisation for most of this could come from the Chancellor (Aliasi). But it would indeed be good to hear from others about (1) other ideas, and (2) offers of help in implementing these ones...[/quote:191lucmx]

I hereby volunteer to replace at least 25 trees with snow-covered ones.

I would also like to wonder publicly aloud if there might be basis for acquiring / building one of those self-spawning particle generators that could cover the sim in heavy showers of snow at random intervals? Since we have all those clouds everywhere we might as well get the best of them!

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":3rklij84]
I would also like to wonder publicly aloud if there might be basis for acquiring / building one of those self-spawning particle generators that could cover the sim in heavy showers of snow at random intervals? Since we have all those clouds everywhere we might as well get the best of them![/quote:3rklij84]

I have one of them.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Aliasi, are there any concerns on this matter? Would you be willing to share them with Ashcroft or others in private if not here? I imagine something like this has some precedent we're not aware of, though given our previous snow sim it may not.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Only the particle and script lag aspects, although I believe that can be dealt with. I may deploy a few weather generators soon as a test, and observe the load on the sim.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Thank you, Aliasi. Your time and energy are much appreciated.

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

I notice the NFS sim has been snow covered and that the culprit is most likely Damanios Thetan's Weathermakers. It all looks very beautiful and cosy in a winter-like way (reminds himself to install Dianne's beautiful and nicely warm stove in the Pretty&Peculiar-shop)

Is the tree-replacement project still going on .. does anyone know?

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":1gjphgys]I notice the NFS sim has been snow covered and that the culprit is most likely Damanios Thetan's Weathermakers. It all looks very beautiful and cosy in a winter-like way (reminds himself to install Dianne's beautiful and nicely warm stove in the Pretty&Peculiar-shop)

Is the tree-replacement project still going on .. does anyone know?[/quote:1gjphgys]

I have done some work on tree replacement, but I have been too busy with judicial procedure to do very much. I notice that somebody has done some near the picknick area: that is Sudane, I think, and at least one or two people have put snow covered trees on their private lands.

It would be wonderful if a few more people were to start snowing some trees.

Ashcroft Burnham

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":1o9w9fp3]It would be wonderful if a few more people were to start snowing some trees.[/quote:1o9w9fp3]

I think it requires membership of a group to which I haven't been invited, sadly.

Can anyone grant me the permissions, please?

Return to “Events in CDS”