Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Proposed Bill Concerning Defendants in Court Cases

Post by Jon Seattle »

[b:kexec9s8]Proposed Bill Concerning Defendants in Court Cases[/b:kexec9s8]

This bill is being introduced by myself in the role of individual citizen. It has not been submitted to, and very likely would never be approved by the CSDF. In fact I doubt it would ever be considered or approved by the RA.

[b:kexec9s8]Preamble[/b:kexec9s8]

The CDS has recently passed a finely crafted bill establishing a judiciary system. This new system developed out of the desire of some citizens to participate in the founding, design, and drama of a new legal system for an imaginary state. Unfortunately most of this work has consisted of months of wrangling over the precise rules and principles of the new system without actually being able to test the system on actual court cases which occur very infrequently in our community.

This lack of cases is likely to continue as very few citizens have faith in the new justice system and many have vanishing confidence that it will make decisions remotely resembling justice. Many citizens would rather not be tried by this system but would prefer to meet an angry bear in the woods.

This bill aims at providing a reliable and ample source of defendants and cases for the new system so that the people who crafted the system will have something to do other than endlessly refining it's principles, procedures, and expanding it's list of officials.

[b:kexec9s8]Bill[/b:kexec9s8]

1. You are under arrest*.

3. A "case scenario team", appointed by the chief judge will make up your crime and the facts of your case. The team will design cases that will create dramatic stories, provide interesting and engaging problem for judges and attorneys, and explore relevant issues about justice in today's and historical societies.

4. None of the judgments produced under this proposal are to be executed.

6. When the new judges, attorneys, bailiffs, jailers, praetors, heads of associations, tailors of judge's robes, tall hats, janitors, and those who make cakes and pies earn the respect and confidence of the citizenry we may let them try real cases. Until then we hope they have a really good time. We have work to do.

* Under this proposal the new court system would try randomly chosen citizen "volunteers".  You can get out of being under arrest if you insist.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Proposed Bill Concerning Defendants in Court Cases

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Jon Seattle":q1hghrpp][b:q1hghrpp]Proposed Bill Concerning Defendants in Court Cases[/b:q1hghrpp]

This bill is being introduced by myself in the role of individual citizen. It has not been submitted to, and very likely would never be approved by the CSDF. In fact I doubt it would ever be considered or approved by the RA.

[b:q1hghrpp]Preamble[/b:q1hghrpp]

The CDS has recently passed a finely crafted bill establishing a judiciary system. This new system developed out of the desire of some citizens to participate in the founding, design, and drama of a new legal system for an imaginary state. Unfortunately most of this work has consisted of months of wrangling over the precise rules and principles of the new system without actually being able to test the system on actual court cases which occur very infrequently in our community.[/quote:q1hghrpp]

We have two pending.

[quote:q1hghrpp]This lack of cases is likely to continue as very few citizens have faith in the new justice system and many have vanishing confidence that it will make decisions remotely resembling justice.[/quote:q1hghrpp]

That is wholly unfair and entirely unfounded. Upon what possible basis do you assert such a thing, especially of a system that has yet to start fully working?

[quote:q1hghrpp]This bill aims at providing a reliable and ample source of defendants and cases for the new system so that the people who crafted the system will have something to do other than endlessly refining it's principles, procedures, and expanding it's list of officials.

[b:q1hghrpp]Bill[/b:q1hghrpp]

1. You are under arrest*.

3. A "case scenario team", appointed by the chief judge will make up your crime and the facts of your case. The team will design cases that will create dramatic stories, provide interesting and engaging problem for judges and attorneys, and explore relevant issues about justice in today's and historical societies.

4. None of the judgments produced under this proposal are to be executed.

6. When the new judges, attorneys, bailiffs, jailers, praetors, heads of associations, tailors of judge's robes, tall hats, janitors, and those who make cakes and pies earn the respect and confidence of the citizenry we may let them try real cases. Until then we hope they have a really good time. We have work to do.

* Under this proposal the new court system would try randomly chosen citizen "volunteers". You can get out of being under arrest if you insist.[/quote:q1hghrpp]

What exactly are you trying to acheive by posting all this? What do you think that any of this adds to anybody's knowledge and learning about the judicial system upon which so many have worked so tirelessly, and all for good reason?

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

It is humor of course. I intend to watch your new system, Ashcroft, and see if it really does what you say it will do. So far it has consumed several times more human resources than the entire Colonia Nova project, and it continues to eat more every day. What benefits will it provide us? Only time will tell.

I am sure both of those cases could have been handled by the SC and resolved by now.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Jon Seattle":20f82g4n]It is humor of course. I intend to watch your new system, Ashcroft, and see if it really does what you say it will do. So far it has consumed several times more human resources than the entire Colonia Nova project, and it continues to eat more every day. What benefits will it provide us? Only time will tell.

I am sure both of those cases could have been handled by the SC and resolved by now.[/quote:20f82g4n]

Again, I do not think that that is really a fair comment. The amount of time that has gone into the creation of the system has, to a large extent, been time spent in resolving political disagreements about how the system should work. Despite Publius's recent attempts to the contrary, now that the Judiciary Act is passed, there need be no more of that unless and until serious problems are identified in practice. Note also that the human-time consumed by the judiciary has been spent in great proportion by me, whose skill and interest in things such as building is somewhat limited.

Of course the Scientific Council [i:20f82g4n]could[/i:20f82g4n] have given some sort of resolution to all manner of disputes in the meantime, but that does not mean that it is not worthwhile to have spent resources creating a lasting system that is not only capable of giving disputes some sort of resolution, but has the best chance of giving disputes the best and fairest resolution.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”