Litter in the Marktplatz

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Litter in the Marktplatz

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

I just arrived in the NFS Marktplatz and can't help but wonder if there was a party to which I wasn't invited? ;-)

At the moment the platz is littered with plywood cubes (courtesy of one Wutz Wilber), a "Rave stick" (courtesy of one Jesse Prior of the Esperanto group) and last but not least a seemingly fraudulent "charity box" rezzed in front of the group courtesy of one DanMarc Paris of the "FF - finacial (sic) freedom" group.

The two first mentioned are probably just careless litter and should be cleared up at the earliest occasion (I'd do it myself but I fear I do not have the sufficient rights) - the latter one seems in my view to be an attempt at tricking visitors to the Kirche into believing that the money donated to the "tip jar" goes to charity when it goes in fact to the "finacial freedom" group of which DanMarc Paris seems to be "founder & CEO".

Is there a way in which we can have a sanction issued against this kind of behaviour in the case where it is found to be culpable?

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote:49y1k69i]Is there a way in which we can have a sanction issued against this kind of behaviour in the case where it is found to be culpable?[/quote:49y1k69i]

A way of imposing sanctions issued agianst people found to have been culpable? Hmm, I can't imagine how one would possibly do that... :wink:

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

"Is there a way in which we can have a sanction issued against this kind of behaviour in the case where it is found to be culpable?

A way of imposing sanctions issued agianst people found to have been culpable? Hmm, I can't imagine how one would possibly do that... "

Well --

We could charge a refundable entrance fee to the Marktplace and then refund it weekly to people who do not litter. However, that would discourage use of the Markt. We could also pass a littering ordinance and make repeatedly littering a bannable offense. To me, this makes more sense. One warning, then banning -- harsh, but workable.

Beathan
[/quote]

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Beathan":3tivjq90]
We could charge a refundable entrance fee to the Marktplace and then refund it weekly to people who do not litter. However, that would discourage use of the Markt. We could also pass a littering ordinance and make repeatedly littering a bannable offense. To me, this makes more sense. One warning, then banning -- harsh, but workable.
[/quote:3tivjq90]

No need for an ordinance; this falls under established anti-griefing procedure.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Aliasi wrote [quote:2wab5z47]No need for an ordinance; this falls under established anti-griefing procedure.[/quote:2wab5z47]

I have concerns that the anti-griefing procedure is improperly vague. In U.S. jurisprudence, it might be challenged as "void for vagueness." I have not actually analysed this issue -- but I see it as an issue. I understand that there is a pending case on point.

Beathan

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Beathan":1yhy0u1d]
I have concerns that the anti-griefing procedure is improperly vague. In U.S. jurisprudence, it might be challenged as "void for vagueness." I have not actually analysed this issue -- but I see it as an issue. I understand that there is a pending case on point.
[/quote:1yhy0u1d]

On the other hand, we have Linden Lab's own standards to fall back on; my feeling is if it violates the Community Standards, it's sufficent. (Which is the substance of the pending case, if I recall; the hurdle is establishing these actions WOULD violate.)

Otherwise, the guidelines I established for use of public spaces also seems to fit; public spaces are the Chancellor's domain. If clearer ones need to be drafted, give me a moment to set them out, or if you've already ones in mind, feel free to suggest some!

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

I think this touches on what we said earlier. Unless, someone has some relationship agreement or needs that the CDS meets, we really have the Linden abuse reporting methods. We also do periodic sweeps of all manner of trash in public place. I think those are appropriate measures. Our other alternatives, as Beathan points out, are distasteful.

If we really felt this is something we had to address, I believe we could limit full building rights to CDS group members only and auto return all others after a set amount of time. The question is whether our current problems merit all the work required by that. I'm not sure they do yet.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

The only thing I ask is if this means that someone is allowed to drop a fake donation box in our Marktplatz and profiting from it while the deliberation is going on :-P

I've taken a picture of the box showing clearly who the owner is, so that's "evidence" if someone wants to pursue this case.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

When I was one last night (CST) I exchanged IMs with the owner who said it was an accident. If it's not gone this morning, it would be great if we could delete it or report abuse if we really feel it was a malicious thing.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

It seems not to be there any more... I was lagging terribly before, and being bombarded with IMs while I was hoping for objects and textures to rez... then I had to go and have some dinner. I'll look closer next time and see if it was removed or not.

As to the other scattered prims that Diderot mentioned, I had deleted them two days ago.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Gwyneth Llewelyn":2np6azzz]It seems not to be there any more... I was lagging terribly before, and being bombarded with IMs while I was hoping for objects and textures to rez... then I had to go and have some dinner. I'll look closer next time and see if it was removed or not.
[/quote:2np6azzz]

I removed it.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Thanks, Aliasi :)

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

There's an abandoned pogo stick just off the marktplatz in the bierstube corner of Talenstrasse. It is owned by one Pelegrim Laurasia whom I have sent a number of IM's. He/she has refused to be cooperative in removing the object in question.

Pelegrim Laurasia is also responsible for burying a pegasus in the ground at Neufreistadt (45, 216, 171) - the P420 NW Viertel, which is the city prim stash.

To me this is beginning to look like a concerted case of griefing. Perhaps the culpability of the person's actions should be tried somehow?

Also one 'Mitchell Radius' has left a plywood prim floating around on the piece of land called "Northwest path" at the following coordinates: (25, 209, 172)

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Yap, again

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

2 pieces of junk on the Platz including an ugly 'money-piramid'.

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

It is up to Sudane to return these objects to sender. This also includes any other citizen with estate powers. It is akin to seeing a piece of trash on the floor, picking it up and puting it in the trash or returning a lost item.
The vast majority of citizens do not have this power and rely on those that can.

Return to “General Discussion”