Voters list

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Voters list

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

Hi, thanks to Sudane, I have now a list of voters for our upcoming elections [url=http://flyingroc.org/nburg/vote/citizens.php:8shrv9w8]here[/url:8shrv9w8]. If you are eligible to vote please double check that you are listed. I understand that a couple of people need to pay their land fees to be added to the list.

If you believe you are eligible to vote and are not on this list, IM me inworld as soon as possible.

Note that there are 65 citizens in this list; if we gain 5 more before election day, we would have enough to need to fill 7 seats in the RA.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Voters list

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="Flyingroc Chung":203m160c] Note that there are 65 citizens in this list; if we gain 5 more before election day, we would have enough to need to fill 7 seats in the RA.[/quote:203m160c]
FR, it's my understanding that the cutoff day for new citizens receiving the right to vote in this election has now passed. If that's true, there's no way that 5 new names could be added to the list.

Is that correct?

Sudane.....

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

As far as I understand, as of the last RA meeting, the number of people who should sit on the RA is now is determined by the number of citizens either at the first day of polling, or the voter eligibility cutoff day, whichever is higher.

(sorry sudane, means more work for you)

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Ahhh... no, that's fine! Thanks for the clarification. That means that the number of persons who can vote may differ from the number of persons determining the membership count of the RA.

Sudane.....

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Elections

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

When will the elections be held?

Trying to make this mainland parcel part of the CDS: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tethys/64/158/72/
Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Barring unforeseen problems, polling starts Jan 13. Official campaign season starts Dec. 29.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

FR, I've noticed that there are some names missing the list, presumably because they need to pay land fees?

Are you going to update the list as people are added to it? I think it's important that we have a definitive, up-to-date list of who is entitled to vote in this election.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":ncsgte7t] I think it's important that we have a definitive, up-to-date list of who is entitled to vote in this election.[/quote:ncsgte7t]
Pat, I totally agree. The problem is that, like so many rules, there's a little procedural hole in this one. We have a very clear rule now regarding the cutoff date after which if you become a new citizen you are not eligible to vote until the next election.

But we are not so clear about persons who are in process of leaving the CDS. For those who tell us that due to whatever circumstances they find it necessary to leave, the process is easy. But they are by and large the rarity. Most people just don't re-appear to pay their monthly fee. At what point do you say... "You're out... your land is re-possessed... and you are no longer a citizen"?

I recall that a rule on the book (perhaps one that I proposed even) states that if no monthly fee is paid by the 21st day of the month after the month for which the fee is due, your land is forfeit. That's clear, but rather harsh. Some people are procrastinators, some people are huge forgettors, and don't read my reminder email. Some people are away. I have always erred on the side of taking extra time with this, hoping that the individual involved really does wish to stay in the community, and is rather just a bit scatter-brained about money.

My lax-ness is probably fine when it comes to the ownership of the land. But it creates problems in the situation we face now. There are three people not now on the list who, by strict intepretation, should have their land re-possessed and declared ineligible for voting. One of those, in fact, because this situation has occurred over and over again, has indeed had their land re-possessed. Two others are surely late, having not yet paid the November fee. While they are in some confusion regarding the "group ownership" procedures mandated by the RA, they have also repeatedly missed the fee deadline. I guess you could you interpret this as Sudane hopefully offering one more chance to citizens possibly still interested in being involved.

So, you can see that probably this situation could use a rule. At this point I consider it a judgment call as to whether late-payers are eligible to vote or not... attempted to judge whether indeed the individual intends to remain with the CDS. While that is probably the humane and compassionate thing to do, it may not be very good in the long run as we increase in numbers.

There is also the very distinct possibility that I have overlooked someone. For this reason it's very important that people report omissions. The reported one may indeed be a valid omission, or may be a purposeful omission, as I've described. Perhaps you could IM me with the names of folks you don't see on the list.

So... Pat, I totally agree. We must have a definitive list. I guess that I have resolved to make sure the list is definitive some days before the election, so that FR has time to complete the coding. This is probably an excellent topic for a proposal to the new RA, so that next time this area will not be so "grey".

Sudane.....

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

Another reason to add to the huge and growing catalogue of reasons why having detailed, precise rules is vastly preferable to having vague rules :-)

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Publius Crabgrass »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":12ye0ggi]Another reason to add to the huge and growing catalogue of reasons why having detailed, precise rules is vastly preferable to having vague rules :-)[/quote:12ye0ggi]
Or perhaps, from the point of view of one who might for any number of reasons neglected to have paid a monthly tier fee [for the record, not me], this may be yet another reason to trust the discretion of those who contribute by engaging in the hard work of running things, unless we find much to our surprise that this discretion is being abused. And I very much doubt that we will be so surprised.

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

The voters list should be up to date now. If there is an omission, please IM me as soon as possible.

Just as an aside, I'm periodically delinquent in my monthly fees; and I'm really grateful for Sudane being flexible with the rules. Merry Christmas everyone.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Publius Crabgrass":y67yenia]Or perhaps, from the point of view of one who might for any number of reasons neglected to have paid a monthly tier fee [for the record, not me], this may be yet another reason to trust the discretion of those who contribute by engaging in the hard work of running things, unless we find much to our surprise that this discretion is being abused. And I very much doubt that we will be so surprised.[/quote:y67yenia]

Publius, did you actually [i:y67yenia]read[/i:y67yenia] what Sudane wrote? She wrote that there was a "procedural hole" that makes it unclear who is eligible to vote. Why do you not see that as a problem?

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.

Return to “General Discussion”