Simplicity Party Meeting in Trotsky's, December 27th @ Noon

Announcements of activities and events in CDS.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Simplicity Party Meeting in Trotsky's, December 27th @ Noon

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

Fellow Citizens!

The time has come for the establishment of an alternative political platform in the politics of Neufreistadt!

For that reason all people who want [i:u7tz5rgx]Simplicity[/i:u7tz5rgx] to play a role in our politics are cordially invited to join us for a founding meeting of the Simplicity Party in Trotsky's on December 27th at NOON!

The meeting wil be concentrated largely on passing the policies that we have discussed in advance in the forums and there will not be much time for specific discussion at the meeting. Rather we desire to get a democratic mandate for a common position, for our candidates and to devise a campaign strategy. This is the draft agenda:

1) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 4:u7tz5rgx]Manifesto[/url:u7tz5rgx] (10 minutes)
2) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 1:u7tz5rgx]Principles for RA governance[/url:u7tz5rgx] (10 minutes)
3) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 6:u7tz5rgx]The Kill Bill Effort[/url:u7tz5rgx] (15 minutes)
4) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 7:u7tz5rgx]Constitutional Simplification[/url:u7tz5rgx] (15 minutes)
5) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 4:u7tz5rgx]Policy on Covenant provisions[/url:u7tz5rgx] (10 minutes)
6) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 8:u7tz5rgx]Policy for Territorial Expansion[/url:u7tz5rgx] (30 minutes)
7) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 1:u7tz5rgx]Policy on the Judiciary[/url:u7tz5rgx] (20 minutes)
8) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 3:u7tz5rgx]Policy on the Promotion of Democratic Governance[/url:u7tz5rgx] (30 minutes)
9) [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 8:u7tz5rgx]Policy for the re-vitalisation of our Community[/url:u7tz5rgx] (20 minutes)
10)[url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 9:u7tz5rgx]Policy for getting the incorporation bill to work[/url:u7tz5rgx] (10 minutes)
11) Who will run? How will we campaign? (rest of available time)
- including proposal for faction colour, logo and slogan

Entitled to vote will be all members of the Simplicity Party group. The group is open for membership subject to invitation from an existing member.

IM Diderot Mirabeau if you have any questions - Merry Christmas / happy holidays!

Last edited by Diderot Mirabeau on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

Simple things please simple minds :-)

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Publius Crabgrass »

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."

- [i:39cmn35l]Charles Mingus [/i:39cmn35l]

:D

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Publius Crabgrass":2ptdil9d]"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."

- [i:2ptdil9d]Charles Mingus [/i:2ptdil9d]

:D[/quote:2ptdil9d]

One does not make the complicated simple by pretending that it does not exist: one does so by precise and carefully considered abstraction. Consider just how much [i:2ptdil9d]simpler[/i:2ptdil9d] (and more reliable) that object-orientated programming languages make computer programming. That involves asking "what makes computer programming complicated in the first place?" and "how do we do those complicated things as easily as possible?". The answer is, predictably, not "let's forget all the complicated bits, and just stick to writing very, very simple computer programmes because we can't cope with anything more mentally taxing", but "let's create some sophisticated abstractions and a very, very detailed new programming language that's simultaneously easy to learn (if one's prepared to put a little effort into it, especially if one has a 'beginners' guide' book)".

What is simpler: MS Paint or Photoshop? Which is easier to learn how to use? Which is easier to use? Which makes editing photographs easier to do? Which would you choose if you were setting up in business as a photograph studio?

It seems that the Simpletons favour the MS Paint solution to all possible problems, whereas others of us realise that the power of ostensibly complicated tools such as Photoshop make things far easier in the long run. If you don't have any programmers skilled enough to produce anything better than MS Paint in your party, that is not something for which the citizens should have to suffer.

Ashcroft Burnham

Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.”

[i:17pyvjrc]Frederic Chopin[/i:17pyvjrc]
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/frederic_chopin/

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Publius Crabgrass":2tdixlbs]"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.”

[i:2tdixlbs]Frederic Chopin[/i:2tdixlbs]
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/frederic_chopin/[/quote:2tdixlbs]

Yes, of course, Chopin was famed for his [i:2tdixlbs]simple[/i:2tdixlbs] music. Why, I'm sure that Chopin himself secretly preferred chopsticks to everything that he wrote himself.

That, Publius, is the problem with argumentation by quotation: it is utterly vacuous. Either you have the intellectual capability to address the argument in substance and deal with it analytically, or you do not have the intellectual capability to be involved in the debate at all.

Ashcroft Burnham

Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

As usual, Ashcroft misses the point, perhaps confused by having played "vast quantity of notes and more notes". This thread is the announcement of the Simplicity party meeting, not the place for the exchange of bon mots such as "Simple things please simple minds ", or even gratuitous insults such as "Either you have the intellectual capability to address the argument in substance and deal with it analytically, or you do not have the intellectual capability to be involved in the debate at all. "

Will Ashcroft be brave enough to let someone else have the last word for a change?

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Publius Crabgrass":2si1ddwv]As usual, Ashcroft misses the point, perhaps confused by having played "vast quantity of notes and more notes".[/quote:2si1ddwv]

Points are more likely to be missed if the points are not made expressly.

[quote:2si1ddwv]This thread is the announcement of the Simplicity party meeting, not the place for the exchange of bon mots such as "Simple things please simple minds ", or even gratuitous insults such as "Either you have the intellectual capability to address the argument in substance and deal with it analytically, or you do not have the intellectual capability to be involved in the debate at all. "[/quote:2si1ddwv]

Why do you think that that is an insult, rather than an invitation to engage properly?

[quote:2si1ddwv]Will Ashcroft be brave enough to let someone else have the last word for a change?[/quote:2si1ddwv]

Is that some sort of a device to try to get the last word for yourself?

Ashcroft Burnham

Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":1vcnx8rs]
[quote:1vcnx8rs]Will Ashcroft be brave enough to let someone else have the last word for a change?[/quote:1vcnx8rs]

Is that some sort of a device to try to get the last word for yourself?[/quote:1vcnx8rs]
I guess the question has now been answered, and in record time too!

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Party motto

Post by michelmanen »

After becoming acquainted with your (admittedly, still draft) party platfrom and policies, I would like to humbly suggest a fitting motto for your (as of yet non-existent) party logo:

[size=150:2v8x7mlc][i:2v8x7mlc][b:2v8x7mlc]"Ex nihilo nihil fit"[/b:2v8x7mlc][/i:2v8x7mlc][/size:2v8x7mlc]

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

How about:

Summam scrutemur

Let's look at the result!

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":3efwzdu0]How about:

Summam scrutemur

Let's look at the result![/quote:3efwzdu0]

Yes, quite, and don't destroy things before they've had a chance to bring results. Appropriately festive: the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Ashcroft Burnham

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Please delete duplicate post.

Last edited by Beathan on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Please delete duplicate post.

Last edited by Beathan on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Simpletons:

Non illigitamus carborundum.

Moderators -- is this malicious attack by the Judiciary Faction on a legitimate communicate by the Simplicity party to the community an appropriate use of these forums. IRL it would be considered election tampering -- and would likely be a criminal offense even under U.S. free speech law. If the CDS does not have a similar law preventing a malicious attack on the lawful and proper use of these forums by a legitimate political party to engage with the population, we should. It is very disturbing that our only judge, who is supposed to be nonpartison, is engaged in electioneering at all -- let alone this inappropriate attempt to interfere with the Simplicity Party's involvement in the CDS political process.

This, especially when coupled with our chief judge's self-declared intention to thwart the application of the Code of Justice passed by the RA, surely arises to an impeachable offense. In addition to bringing our Judiciary into disrepute by being an offensive personality (which would violate the attorney's oath in my State), Ash is engaging in bahavior that is calculated to undermine our democracy. This must be stopped.

Beathan

P.S.

[quote:cq0o8fw4]Oath of Attorney

I do solemnly declare:

I am fully subject to the laws of the State of Washington and the laws of the United States and will abide by the same.
I will support the constitution of the State of Washington and the constitution of the United States.
I will abide by the Rules of Professional Conduct approved by the Supreme Court of the State of Washington.
I will maintain the respect due to the courts of justice and judicial officers.
I will not counsel, or maintain any suit, or proceeding, which shall appear to me to be unjust, or any defense except as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law, unless it is in defense of a person charged with a public offense. I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes confided to me only those means consistent with truth and honor. I will never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement.
I will maintain the confidence and preserve inviolate the secrets of my client, and will accept no compensation in connection with the business of my client unless this compensation is from or with the knowledge and approval of the client or with the approval of the court.
[i:cq0o8fw4]I will abstain from all offensive personalities, and advance no fact prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged. [/i:cq0o8fw4]
I will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay unjustly the cause of any person.
[/quote:cq0o8fw4]

Last edited by Beathan on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Events in CDS”