Proposal for a 'Business, Commerce and the Economy' subforum

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Proposal for a 'Business, Commerce and the Economy' subforum

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

At one of the recent CDS Traders' Association meetings we decided to request a dedicated sub-forum. This was (briefly) granted until the SC recalled a previous decision that NGOs would not be granted sub-forums. I can see the rationale for this, otherwise there would be a multiplicity of sub-fora. But, having CDSTA threads in 'General', 'Events' etc isn't helpful.

I'd like to propose that we have a 'Business, Commerce and the Economy' sub-forum with the strapline 'Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS'. This would be a place where the CDSTA could put all of its notices and carry on its discussions but also serve a wider purpose in that citizens (and interested non-citizens) would be able to discuss matters related to business and the economy in a dedicated sub-forum.

What do others think? If I understand the forum tools correctly I could probably set this up myself now, but I'd like some feedback from other forum users (and hopefully from some other SC members) before going ahead and setting it up.

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Proposal for a 'Business, Commerce and the Economy' subf

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":2qi3bg26]I'd like to propose that we have a 'Business, Commerce and the Economy' sub-forum with the strapline 'Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS'. This would be a place where the CDSTA could put all of its notices and carry on its discussions but also serve a wider purpose in that citizens (and interested non-citizens) would be able to discuss matters related to business and the economy in a dedicated sub-forum.[/quote:2qi3bg26]
I support this idea as I think it would complement nicely my desire to see some added momentum to our commercial 'offensive' and also provide a welcome opportunity to discuss the proposal of the Simplicity Party to "get the incorporation act working" in a wider circle of interested citizens.

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Yeah.

Post by Pelanor Eldrich »

Yeah. "Just Do It" (book of Nike). Great ideas.
:)

Pelanor Eldrich
Principal - Eldrich Financial
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Pat --

At first blush, I like this proposal, but I do have a concern. Different standards of protection or allowing of free speech apply (in the U.S. and in many other places) between public (governmental) forums and private (NGO) forums. What kind and level of free speech is right and proper on these forums is a matter of present debate. We will muddy the waters if we provide forum space to NGOs, as there is good reason to apply greater latitude for censorship in such private discussions.

However, I think that we can address this problem provided that we declare, at the outset, that these forums are all public forums (as that term is used in civil liberties law), whether or not they are associated with a governmental group or an NGO. Another way to handle the issue is by forming some kind of public/private partnership between the reformed Guild (as an NGO) and the A.C. (as a branch of government). However, iRL such public/private partnerships are very complicated (mostly because the RL laws concerning, regulating and restricting them are very complicated), so we might not want to go down that path.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

A generic forum that can be used by the NGOs in question seems to be a different thing than one especially FOR an NGO.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":rd337xbv]A generic forum that can be used by the NGOs in question seems to be a different thing than one especially FOR an NGO.[/quote:rd337xbv]Indeed, so I'll go ahead and set it up in line with Nike's adonition to 'Just Do It' :)

Done. However, being a total dope, I transferred existing threads having set the pruning options on the new forum :( So I lost them. I'm trying to repost the transcripts from my own records. Sorry folks.

Return to “General Discussion”