On "Monolithic omnibus bills"

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

On "Monolithic omnibus bills"

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

The exchange in the last three posts of the "Free speech on the forums" thread illustrates perfectly in my view why we must never again let the Representative Assembly pass monolithic pieces of omnibus legislation written by unafiliated maverick citizens outside the democratically based review and accountability mechanisms of the factions.

By the way the above is not intended to imply in any way a particular leaning of mine toward one interpretation or the other. I simply note there is a rather significant difference of opinion over what was actually agreed and voted upon, which seems to indicate to me that the lengthiness and archaic formulation of the bill and the fact that it was written by one person outside the factions' constituency system of democratic accountability and scrutiny may have led directly to this state of affairs.

EDIT: Following Patroklus' clue I have taken the liberty of moving this conversation into its own thread in the legislative discussion forum.

Last edited by Diderot Mirabeau on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":4f65k5y5]The exchange in the above two posts illustrates perfectly in my view why we must never again let the Representative Assembly pass monolithic pieces of omnibus legislation written by unafiliated maverick citizens outside the democratically based review and accountability mechanisms of the factions.

By the way the above is not intended to imply in any way a particular leaning of mine toward one interpretation or the other. I simply note there is a rather significant difference of opinion over what was actually agreed and voted upon, which seems to indicate to me that he lengthiness and archaic formulation of the bill and the fact that it was written by one person outside the factions' constituency system of democratic accountability and scrutiny may have led directly to this state of affairs.[/quote:4f65k5y5]

Actually, what it indicates more than anything else, is that the Representative Assembly [i:4f65k5y5]really[/i:4f65k5y5] needs expert technical advisers on legislative drafting, as most real-world parliaments have. It seems that on more than one occasion now perfectly plain and clear pieces of legislation have confused and confounded our politicians and other officials who are evidently not conversant with standard legislative drafting practices (whereas one ought reasonably to be able to assume that those charged with legislating have a good working knowledge of legislative drafting practice).

The solution is not to throw one's hands up and say "we can't cope with this, it's too complicated!", but to get to grips with drafting and interpretation and do it properly, in the same way as somebody wanting to enhance and manipulate photographs should not throw her or his hands up in horror upon first seeing Photoshop or the GIMP and say "Ohh, it's all to complicated, I'll just stick to auto levels in the future", but should instead read a good book (or web tutorial) on how to use the more advanced features properly (whereupon one realises that they are, in fact, far less complicated than they seemed to be at first).

Indeed, one might note that the constitution specifically provides that the Chair of the Judiciary Commission may provide technical advice to anybody submitting bills to the Representative Assembly for just that reason.

[i:4f65k5y5]Edit[/i:4f65k5y5]: Incidentally, Diderot, are you suggesting a fundamental change in the constitution prohibiting bills from being proposed by any citizen, and requiring them instead to be proposed by either a faction member, or a member of the Representative Assembly?

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":efbrcicr]Actually, what it indicates more than anything else, is that the Representative Assembly [i:efbrcicr]really[/i:efbrcicr] needs expert technical advisers on legislative drafting, as most real-world parliaments have.[/quote:efbrcicr]
Thanks for your reply. Unsurprisingly, I do not agree entirely with the opinion you advance. I base my disagreement on the observation that we seem to use different yardsticks by which to judge the performance of our elected representatives:

With the danger of misrepresenting your position I submit that I place the main emphasis on ensuring that our elected representatives are part of and in touch with the needs of the community and keen to preserve that connection by ensuring that legislative acts do not reach a level of complexity where they serve to alienate or confuse the elctorate. I support this opinion with reference to the fact that our community of 65+ is in fact no larger than a houseowners' association the aggregate internal rules of which are often able to be reproduced on a few sheets of paper in plain language understandable by anyone. In contrast, you seem in my view for your assessment to want to place the emphasis on achieving a professional government comparable to the standards of their real life counterparts.

The positions are not necessarily irreconcilable I believe. As illustrated by the Simplicity Party manifesto (soon to be published in a slightly revised form) different legislative domains may well engender different priorities for the legislative process. For example in the commercial domain it may well be justified to place a certain emphasis on rulemaking being inspired by experts so as to eliminate uncertainties and make the best possible use of established wisdom within SL commerce and entrepreneurship. However, when it comes to legislating in relation to the affairs of citizens and our community it is my firm conviction that we have to accept the fact that every citizen is indeed the best expert on how to conduct his own affairs. If such expertise does not entail the ability or patience to read lengthy, legislative texts crafted using a high degree of professional legal terminology and sentence structure then it is the latter that must be sacrificed in order to maintain the ideal of a connectedness and good faith relationship between the electorate and their representatives.

I will acknowledge the input of a legal expert - and indeed of anyone - to run through a legislative proposal with a mental checklist and suggest additional issues, which may need addressing but as a politician I would never in the circumstances implied by the foreseeable future of the CDS allow the same individual to actually go ahead and draft the wording of the text save for minor sentences.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":efbrcicr][i:efbrcicr]Edit[/i:efbrcicr]: Incidentally, Diderot, are you suggesting a fundamental change in the constitution prohibiting bills from being proposed by any citizen, and requiring them instead to be proposed by either a faction member, or a member of the Representative Assembly?[/quote:efbrcicr]
I am sorry but I cannot see how you could entertain such a thought from reading my contribution:
1) I was explicitly refering to "monolithic omnibus bills" championed by "unafiliated maverick citizens."
2) I do not believe I have mentioned anything about wanting to change the Constitution in this matter. We have in The Simplicity Party just passed our position on good principles for RA governance. These principles will directly guide how we form our opinion on matters of procedure in said body. I should think it would be enough for every faction to establish a similarly informed position on such matters of procedure, which would then by virtue of the resulting consistency in voting outcomes have the effect of establishing a principled majority opinion on "monolithic omnibus bills" championed by "unafiliated maverick citizens."

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":fd9i3wdt]Thanks for your reply. Unsurprisingly, I do not agree entirely with the opinion you advance. I base my disagreement on the observation that we seem to use different yardsticks by which to judge the performance of our elected representatives:

With the danger of misrepresenting your position I submit that I place the main emphasis on ensuring that our elected representatives are part of and in touch with the needs of the community and keen to preserve that connection by ensuring that legislative acts do not reach a level of complexity where they serve to alienate or confuse the elctorate.[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

One cannot look at the complexity of the wording of any piece of legislation in isolation from the function that it must perform: indeed, the wording of any given piece of legislation is just one tiny component of an entire system, part of which forms any given function. The issue is therefore not as simple as you represent it to be. The questions that need to be asked are these:

(1) what exactly is the function that needs to be served; and

(2) what is the best way of serving that function?

The yardstick by which a legislature should be judged is how well that it answers both of those questions in the form of legislation. Question (1) is, ultimately, about choosing what government ought to do. That is what is usually meant by a question of "policy": how high do we want our land fees? Do we want to expand to another sim with a different theme, or do we want to make our existing sims larger by adding contiguous islands? What should we do to encourage commerce? Those are all policy questions, and it is issues of policy that occupy most manifestos during most elections. It is on issues of policy that the legislature needs to be able to communicate directly with citizens (mainly at election times, but also at other times).

Question (2) is about workability. "We will expand Colonia Nova by adding another contiguous, Roman-themed sim" may be a sensible policy, but, if one goes about buying a third sim before the CDS has enough money to support it, the policy, as implemented, is unworkable. A legislature that provided in its legislation for the acquisition of a third sim before the CDS had enough money to pay for it would undoubtedly be a failed legislature. Actually working out when we have enough money may be not in the least a simple task: it may (and, in fact, probably will) take somebody with Sudane's level of accountancy expertise to make an accurate prediction of that time. The process of making that deduction is not something that most citizens will be able to understand: I certainly would not have a clue. It is also not a process in which most citizens are likely to be in the least interested, providing that the calculation is correct, which is easily measured by results.

In general, on the policy-formation level, there are many cases (of which the sim purchasing scenario given above is but one example) in which, whilst it is both possible and desirable to have the general policy on the matter (we want another Roman themed sim annexed to Colonia Nova) as something with which all citizens can, with very little trouble indeed, become fully engaged, many of the details of implementation and workability-assurance must be left to those (1) with special expertise in the matter (such as Sudane); and (2) who have time to do detailed and technical work (such as making arithmetical calculations) without which there is great danger of the project going wrong, and in the details of which most citizens in any event have little interest provided that things are done properly. Can you really imagine, for example, ten or fifteen citizens having long debates in a subforum called "Accountancy discussion" about precisely when we should be able to afford a new sim, and which of three or four accountancy methods (each popular in different first-life nations) should be adopted to reach that conclusion? If we restrict ourselves to doing only those things that can fully be understood by everyone with minimal effort, we restrict ourselves to doing virtually nothing (even building, after all, is not fully understood by everyone).

That is the participation issue: the second is the workability issue. You seem to imply that detailed legislation is unworkable: in fact, the opposite is true. Again, one must think of the legislation as a single component of a larger, overall system. The question is not "how easy is this bit of legislation to understand?" but "how easy is it to understand the workings of this system overall to the extent that I need to understand it to achieve whatever I am trying to achieve by using this system?". Legislation creates rules, and sets of rules, operating in conjunction with each other, create systems. Those positive systems then have to interact in particular ways with naturally occurring systems to achieve whatever aims that were sought to be achieved when the legislation was written in the first place. With a judicial system, for example, the aim is simply stated but inordinately complicated to achieve: to have a fair, binding, enforceable means of resolving disputes in accordance with law. How, exactly, to go about doing that is a question not unlike deciding when we can afford a second sim: i.e., very difficult, and best answered by those who have particular expertise in the subject matter.

More than that, the inherent complication of the task at hand (even working out precisely what fairness entails is inordinately complicated, as is apparent to anybody who has ever tried to do it) means that it is impossible to have, simultaneously, rules that are (1) expressed in few words and are easy to read; and (2) are easy to apply in a just and consistent manner that, in fact, achieves the objectives that one seeks to achieve in the first place. So, saying, "We shall have rules written in few words that are easy to read" entails simultaneously having rules that are hard to apply in practice, tend to give capricious results, are unpredictable, and do not achieve what they are there to achieve.

If, therefore, the concern is to create a system overall that, in practice, does not confuse or alienate, having rules written in few words and that are easy to read as the only guide is not going to succeed in that aim, since the system that they create will be confusing, unpredictable, difficult to understand and unjust. That itself will serve to confuse and alienate people. What is important is the function of the rules, not just the text in which they are written: what people care about is whether they are going to get a fair trial, or whether they are going to have sufficient redress against those who wrong them (for example) than how pleasant a job that it is reading the rules. We are creating rules to serve a practical function, not to serve as a work of literature.

I pause here to observe a critical distinction that many of the advocates of purely textual simplicity do not always appreciate: it is, of course, undesirable to have the text [i:fd9i3wdt]more[/i:fd9i3wdt] loquacious and florid than its function truly requires. That is the principle of parsimony (sometimes called "occum's razor"), and nobody disputes it. If one can write [i:fd9i3wdt]the same thing[/i:fd9i3wdt] in a way that is shorter and easier to understand, without losing one shred of the meaning, and without being one bit less precise, then, unless the intended audience prefers the aesthetic of one over another, and can understand both equally well, there is no argument to have the longer or more difficult one. That, of course, is fundamentally distinct from criticising a passage of text in legislation, not because it is needlessly loquacious, but because its function requires that it be long and complicated to the extent that it is. The only criticism of such a passage could be that that function is not a desirable function to have at all. Merely calming that it is "too complicated", without offering any suggestion as to how the same function can be performed with any less complication, is not a meaningful criticism at all, any more than it is to claim that your computer is "too complicated", and insisting that Microsoft come up with a way of running Windows XP on your pocket calculator. As Einstein said, "everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler". If one removes any given function from a system, with the pretext of simplifying it, then there is a very great risk that, unless the function truly was superfluous, its removal will destabilise the system and make it unreliable, and thus far harder to use, more confusing, and tending more to alienate.

I summary, I think, we agree (1) on the principle of parsimony; (2) that things should not be needlessly confusing; and (3) that things should, in so far as is possible, not be structured so that they tend to alienate people. What it seems we disagree on is just how to go about doing that; you seem to focus on the text alone, whereas my argument has always been that it is the system in practice that counts.

[quote:fd9i3wdt]I support this opinion with reference to the fact that our community of 65+ is in fact no larger than a houseowners' association the aggregate internal rules of which are often able to be reproduced on a few sheets of paper in plain language understandable by anyone. In contrast, you seem in my view for your assessment to want to place the emphasis on achieving a professional government comparable to the standards of their real life counterparts.[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

My point always has been that it is what we seek to do, not the number of people who are, for the time being, citizens that should shape how professional or amateurish that our institutions need to be. Doing accountancy or law properly does not get any easier, or less important, merely because there are few people to or about whom to administer it.

[quote:fd9i3wdt]The positions are not necessarily irreconcilable I believe. As illustrated by the Simplicity Party manifesto (soon to be published in a slightly revised form) different legislative domains may well engender different priorities for the legislative process. For example in the commercial domain it may well be justified to place a certain emphasis on rulemaking being inspired by experts so as to eliminate uncertainties and make the best possible use of established wisdom within SL commerce and entrepreneurship. However, when it comes to legislating in relation to the affairs of citizens and our community it is my firm conviction that we have to accept the fact that every citizen is indeed the best expert on how to conduct his own affairs.[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

A number of problems emerge here. Firstly, there is no clear distinction between a commercial and non-commercial sphere: many rules need to operate in both, not least the basic constitutional framework in which all rules operate, but also things such as the law of contract, which affect consumers and producers equally. How do you propose to distinguish these things, if at all? Secondly, you conflate the concept that every citizen is the best expert on how to conduct her or his own affairs (which is undoubtedly true, at least for the most part), and the fact that, where the law rightly intervenes is exactly in those places where the matter is not merely a matter of a person conducting her or his own affairs. In matters that are accurately described as merely the affairs of one or another individual, the law ought not intervene at all: where it does intervene, therefore, providing that that principle is respected, there is necessarily something more than the individual affairs of citizens at stake, and the argument is therefore irrelevant. What the rules on the burden and standard of proof, or the disclosure of evidence in court cases, for example, should be, cannot meaningfully be described as a matter of citizens' individual affairs. It is precisely in the resolution of conflict between otherwise irreconcilable views by citizens about how their affairs should be ordered that it is people other than those citizens who need to be making decisions about what should happen.

[quote:fd9i3wdt]If such expertise does not entail the ability or patience to read lengthy, legislative texts crafted using a high degree of professional legal terminology and sentence structure then it is the latter that must be sacrificed in order to maintain the ideal of a connectedness and good faith relationship between the electorate and their representatives.[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

You set up an inaccurate representation of conflicting ideals here. It is not, as you suggest, a question of balancing, on the one hand, having lengthy legislative texts crafted to a "high degree of professional legal terminology and sentence structure" (whatever that means, exactly), for its own sake, and on the other, connectedness and good faith between the citizens and the legislature: since, if the citizens want any given policy at all (and one cannot really dispute that the citizens want a fair justice system), it necessarily follows that they want (or, at least, should be taken to want) that system to work properly. Respecting, in good faith, the wishes of the electorate, therefore, often, as described above, entails creating systems that cannot help but be complicated in operation, but whose operation can be made far easier to understand and predict, far fairer, and far closer to its original intention, by having well written, detailed, precise rules, which may be hard to read by the uninitiated, but do not make the system overall any harder to understand than the muddle that vague rules would create; indeed, quite the converse. Detailed rules are not there for the sake of people being able to say, "look what lovely rules we have", but to be used; what needs to be balanced on your scale, therefore, is not having "lengthy, legislative texts crafted using a high degree of professional legal terminology and sentence structure" in the abstract, but the functional effect of precise drafting, which is a workable system. Indeed, if precise drafting did not create any better system than vague drafting, it would, because of the principle of parsimony outlined above, be a positively absurd exercise to engage in even attempting to make it precise because, of course, making something precise takes a great deal more work than does making it vague.

So, the things that ought inform the outcome of your weighing scales are (1) whether precise drafting does, in fact, create a more workable system than vague drafting; and (2) whether, nonetheless, there is some benefit to the citizens of having vague rules that outweighs the benefit to workability of precisely drafted rules. If the answer to question (1) is in the negative, then the matter is resolved there and then, for there is simply no point in trying to make anything precise at all. If, however, the answer to question (1) is in the affirmative, then it would take a very strong reason indeed to outweigh the importance of doing whatever one is trying to do in the first place as well as one can do it. My view of the matter certainly is that, if something is worth doing at all, it is worth doing properly, even if it takes more effort than doing a shoddy job of it.

[quote:fd9i3wdt]I will acknowledge the input of a legal expert - and indeed of anyone - to run through a legislative proposal with a mental checklist and suggest additional issues, which may need addressing but as a politician I would never in the circumstances implied by the foreseeable future of the CDS allow the same individual to actually go ahead and draft the wording of the text save for minor sentences.[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

What do you mean by "allow" here? Nothing in the constitution (or anything else) stops anybody from drafting a bill and submitting it to the legislature; if the legislature thinks, having read it and considered it, that it is a good bill, why should they not adopt it?

[quote:fd9i3wdt]I am sorry but I cannot see how you could entertain such a thought from reading my contribution...[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

Perhaps it was your use of the word "allow". What form of prohibition had you in mind, then?

[quote:fd9i3wdt]1) I was explicitly refering to "monolithic omnibus bills" championed by "unafiliated maverick citizens."[/quote:fd9i3wdt]

This is all very vague. What, precisely, makes a bill "monolithic" or an "omnibus" bill? What, precisely, makes any given citizen a "maverick"? And with what do you think that citizens (or perhaps just maverick citizens) ought be affiliated before they should be allowed to draft these "monolithic omnibus bills"?

Ashcroft Burnham

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

This prohibition would be neither difficult nor unprecedented. Most U.S. jurisdictions have a single subject restriction on intitiative and referenda. It works fine. What it requires is that the subject of the bill be a single subject, one that can be described in a single sentence.

In the case of the Judiciary Act, I see many different subjects. For instance, the creation of Marshals of the Peace (and repeal of the Defense Act) is certainly a separate matter form the balance of the Judiciary Act. I also see the restrictions on the SC as different from the creation of the Judiciary. The creation of the PJSP is also a separate subject.

I think that the JA clearly demonstrates that multi-subject bills are unwise. I think that we should repeal the JA and parse it into its various parts, seeking to pass each as separate legislation. This will probably be a far more productive way to proceed in the face of the controversy surrounding the Act than the Commission process is. It also does not prejudge the outcome of the matter. If the Act is as reasonable and proper as its proponents claim, then each part of the Act should be reasonable and proper such that each part can and will be separately passed as a new Act of the RA. If the Act has problems, this parsing of the Act will reveal and ficus us on those problems -- and will prevent the "easter eggs" -- or as I call them "grass snakes" -- that pop up from the overwhelming mass of the JA to shock us.

On the particular note re: appeals of moderator decisions, I think that the SC is clearly the proper arm to decide such matters. I analogize the process to American Administrative law. When a person disagrees with an administrative action, he typically must exhaust administrative remedies before he can take his matter to a court. The theory is that there is no dispute unless administrative remedies have been exhausted -- because government is presumed to intend to do the right thing, so if government has done the wrong thing, government is presumed to have an interest in correcting it. There is no dispute if both sides really agree with each other, but have simply not yet realized that they agree.

The appeal of a moderator decision to the SC is certainly an administrative remedy of this kind -- rather than a dispute. I filed my appeal not because I disagree with the moderators or the SC, but because I have faith that the moderators and SC will actually agree with me. I don't think I have a dispute that needs judicial involvement.

Further, given the nature of this particular dispute, it is painfully obvious that the judiciary cannot hear it. Ash, and all prospective judges, have a built-in conflict of interest. This conflict creates a constitutional problem -- who decides cases when the entire judiciary cannot do so -- which is an independent basis for S.C. direct review, even under the plain language of the Judiciary Act.

Beathan

Last edited by Beathan on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Beathan":1a8lrqzk]This prohibition would be neither difficult nor unprecedented. Most U.S. jurisdictions have a single subject restriction on intitiative and referenda. It works fine. What it requires is that the subject of the bill be a single subject, one that can be described in a single sentence.

In the case of the Judiciary Act, I see many different subjects. For instance, the creation of Marshals of the Peace (and repeal of the Defense Act) is certainly a separate matter form the balance of the Judiciary Act. I also see the restrictions on the SC as different from the creation of the Judiciary. The creation of the PJSP is also a separate subject.

I think that the JA clearly demonstrates that multi-subject bills are unwise. I think that we should repeal the JA and parse it into its various parts, seeking to pass each as separate legislation.[/quote:1a8lrqzk]

This was expressly considered and rejected at the time that the Judiciary Act was passed. The reason for that was that, although the Act deals with a number of subjects, it does so to create a single, coherent scheme that would fail totally if not all of the parts were present at once. The possibility of some of the legislation being adopted and others not being adopted, rendering the constitutional and legislative framework incoherent and wholly unworkable, is a strong enough reason both to permit bills that deal with multiple subjects (if one can meaningfully individuate "subjects" here), and to have passed the Judiciary Act as a whole, rather than in individual chunks.

What can work is to require Bills that deal with multiple subjects to be broken down into individual chapters (as the Judiciary Act is), each of which deal with a different subject, and for the legislation to consider each of the chapters separately, but formally pass them all at once. A single Act with multiple chapters is functionally identical, when passed, to multiple Acts, and has the additional advantage that no possibility of incoherency arises.

[quote:1a8lrqzk]This will probably be a far more productive way to proceed in the face of the controversy surrounding the Act than the Commission process is. It also does not prejudge the outcome of the matter. If the Act is as reasonable and proper as its proponents claim, then each part of the Act should be reasonable and proper such that each part can and will be separately passed as a new Act of the RA. If the Act has problems, this parsing of the Act will reveal and ficus us on those problems -- and will prevent the "easter eggs" -- or as I call them "grass-snakes" -- that pop up from the overwhelming mass of the JA to shock us.[/quote:1a8lrqzk]

Grass snakes are species of snake found in Great Britain: they are small, not venomous and are therefore quite harmless. You have, therefore, stumbled unwittingly on a perfect analogy to the present set of circumstances. However, you well know that you are seeking to prejudice the outcome: you favour repeal at any cost. You know full well that, if the Act were repealed, it would take 2/3rds of the Assembly to put any of it back, and you are hoping that the Simplicity Party will have enough seats after the next election to make sure that the parts that you dislike (or perhaps even all of it) are never put back, come what may. The reality is that repeal should only occur if and when there is a genuine consensus that the part that is being repealed is bad as a matter of substance.

[quote:1a8lrqzk]On the particular note re: appeals of moderator decisions, I think that the SC is clearly the proper arm to decide such matters. I analogize the process to American Administrative law. When a person disagrees with an administrative action, he typically must exhaust administrative remedies before he can take his matter to a court. The theory is that there is no dispute unless administrative remedies have been exhausted -- because government is presumed to intend to do the right thing, so if government has done the wrong thing, government is presumed to have an interest in correcting it. There is no dispute if both sides really agree with each other, but have simply not yet realized that they agree.

The appeal of a moderator decision to the SC is certainly an administrative remedy of this kind -- rather than a dispute. I filed my appeal not because I disagree with the moderators or the SC, but because I have faith that the moderators and SC will actually agree with me. I don't think I have a dispute that needs judicial involvement.

Further, given the nature of this particular dispute, it is painfully obvious that the judiciary cannot hear it. Ash, and all prospective judges, have a built-in conflict of interest. This conflict creates a constitutional problem -- who decides cases when the entire judiciary cannot do so -- which is an independent basis for S.C. direct review, even under the plain language of the Judiciary Act.[/quote:1a8lrqzk]

A far clearer and more productive discussion of this issue has transpired on [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 2:1a8lrqzk]another thread[/url:1a8lrqzk], which you would do well to read.

Ashcroft Burnham

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Ash --

I think that the public reaction to the Judiciary Act now that it is being implemented shows more clearly than any argument ever could that the JA was not fully considered or debated at the time it was passed. With Pat now expressing reservations and shock at your interpretation of the Act, I think it is fair to say that the Judiciary Faction has lost its last ally among the citizens who were here at the time the JA passed. That means that it is high time to review the Act, consider those things that were not adequately considered when the Act passed, and make needed changes.

I don't consider my attempt to reform the Act, through my current proposal, to be at all underhanded. In fact, I consider it to be a magnanimous attempt to set aside my position (absolute repeal of the Act and replacement of it with something else) in a spirit of compromise, so that cooler heads can review the Act, in its own terms, and in understandable chunks, and make up their own minds. Even though it sticks in my craw, my proposal specifically prohibits changes or modifications to your Judiciary Act when first divided and resubmitted to the RA. Why don't you support this? If the Act is defensible, surely it would survive such review.

As for my referring to nasty easter-eggs as "grass snakes" -- I of course do not think of them as the harmless Natrix natrix variety. Rather, I think of them as snakes hiding in the grass -- and the snakes we have in WA (at least east of the mountains) are not at all harmless. However, unlike the Judiciary Act, they tend to rattle and warn before they strike.

As for your referral of me to other threads, there is no need. As difficult as it is to keep up with these forums at the current rate of posting, I do check them several times a day and read all threads that show new activity. I read the thread on the UDHR -- and other than being mystified by how you could possibly claim that the UDHR is not law -- even entrenched, Constitutional law -- in the CDS, I have nothing much to add to that thread. Further, my own shock and horror at your denial of the civil rights tradition of the CDS, a tradition that was clear to me on my first acquaintance with these forums (having been cited multiple times by multiple posters as fundamental to the CDS project), did not seem to add much to the thread, so I did not post.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Beathan":3c0lxzf6]I think that the public reaction to the Judiciary Act now that it is being implemented shows more clearly than any argument ever could that the JA was not fully considered or debated at the time it was passed. With Pat now expressing reservations and shock at your interpretation of the Act, I think it is fair to say that the Judiciary Faction has lost its last ally among the citizens who were here at the time the JA passed.[/quote:3c0lxzf6]

I think that you should stop speaking for other people, and let Pat tell us precisely whether, having read everything that I have posted on the relevant threads, this really is his position. What he wrote on the subject is most certainly not a clear indication that he agrees with you on the topic. But if you had read the forums as much as you claimed to have read them, you will have noticed that Pelanor Eldrich, for example, in his recent posts on the Special Commission forum, supports the present judiciary and he, of course, unlike Pat, is and was at the time a member of the legislature. Claude Desmoulins also voted for the Act at the time, as did Moon Adamant, neither of whom have expressed that they share your views on the subject. The position is, as it always has been, that those who always did disagree with it still do, and those who always did support it still do. That those who always did disagree with it are making lots of angry forum posts is not a reason to repeal it any more than that existed at the time that it was passed not to pass it. Many of those making the most critical posts are people (you and Publius, mainly) who have joined after the Act was passed, and, of course, there are at least equally many people who joined since the Act was passed who support it: indeed, a tenth of our present population, or thereabouts, are here [i:3c0lxzf6]because[/i:3c0lxzf6] of our judiciary.

[quote:3c0lxzf6]That means that it is high time to review the Act, consider those things that were not adequately considered when the Act passed, and make needed changes.[/quote:3c0lxzf6]

That is what the Special Commission was for. It made absolutely no progress whatsoever because it revealed exactly the same intractable division and lack of consensus as was present on the forums. The only sensible way forward is to assess the operation of the judiciary by seeing it working. As Oni said during the Special Commission meeting, "we need more data". There is no good reason to destroy an institution before it can be seen fully in operation. That question itself has been debated, at inordinate length. Indeed, how is what you are suggesting any different from the "suspend and amend" option that was unambiguously the [i:3c0lxzf6]least[/i:3c0lxzf6] popular option at the Special Commission, attracting only a single first preference vote out of the fifteen commissioners who voted?

[quote:3c0lxzf6]I don't consider my attempt to reform the Act, through my current proposal, to be at all underhanded. In fact, I consider it to be a magnanimous attempt to set aside my position (absolute repeal of the Act and replacement of it with something else) in a spirit of compromise, so that cooler heads can review the Act, in its own terms, and in understandable chunks, and make up their own minds. Even though it sticks in my craw, my proposal specifically prohibits changes or modifications to your Judiciary Act when first divided and resubmitted to the RA. Why don't you support this? If the Act is defensible, surely it would survive such review.[/quote:3c0lxzf6]

If the Act is defensible, it need not be repealed. Tell me this: if what you were suggesting came to pass, under what circumstances would any member of the Simplicity Party, if voted into office, vote in favour of passing any given part of the Act again without substantial amendments?

[quote:3c0lxzf6]As for my referring to nasty easter-eggs as "grass snakes" -- I of course do not think of them as the harmless Natrix natrix variety. Rather, I think of them as snakes hiding in the grass -- and the snakes we have in WA (at least east of the mountains) are not at all harmless. However, unlike the Judiciary Act, they tend to rattle and warn before they strike.[/quote:3c0lxzf6]

So, the message here is that British snakes are harmless and American ones deadly?

[quote:3c0lxzf6]As for your referral of me to other threads, there is no need. As difficult as it is to keep up with these forums at the current rate of posting, I do check them several times a day and read all threads that show new activity. I read the thread on the UDHR -- and other than being mystified by how you could possibly claim that the UDHR is not law -- even entrenched, Constitutional law -- in the CDS, I have nothing much to add to that thread. Further, my own shock and horror at your denial of the civil rights tradition of the CDS, a tradition that was clear to me on my first acquaintance with these forums (having been cited multiple times by multiple posters as fundamental to the CDS project), did not seem to add much to the thread, so I did not post.[/quote:3c0lxzf6]

If you will not - or cannot - respond by addressing my arguments analytically, then do not respond at all, please. I have already stated that the aim always was to build up rights through the common law in a CDS-specific way (which could not be over-ridden by statute to the extent that the statutes violated the UDHR, given the SC's power of veto), which, I should have thought, with all your posts about doing things incrementally, from the ground up, in a virtual world-specific way, rather than starting with pre-written rules in advance that are based on (and, in this case, lifted directly from) first life jurisdictions, you would strongly have supported.

Ashcroft Burnham

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":2y5pvbi7] Many of those making the most critical posts are people (you and Publius, mainly) who have joined after the Act was passed, and, of course, there are at least equally many people who joined since the Act was passed who support it: indeed, a tenth of our present population, or thereabouts, are here [i:2y5pvbi7]because[/i:2y5pvbi7] of our judiciary. [/quote:2y5pvbi7]

REALLY? You hadn't mentioned that salient fact before! Why, if 6 or 7 people joined [i:2y5pvbi7]because[/i:2y5pvbi7], and [i:2y5pvbi7]only because[/i:2y5pvbi7] of it, the other 50 or 60 people should just pipe down in their criticism, eh?

Come to think of it, about that number of people joined because of the creation of an Esperanto community in Nstadt, so I want you to sit quietly while we force everyone here to learn and speak only Esperanto, OK Ash?

;-)

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":rfvdhovn]REALLY? You hadn't mentioned that salient fact before! Why, if 6 or 7 people joined [i:rfvdhovn]because[/i:rfvdhovn], and [i:rfvdhovn]only because[/i:rfvdhovn] of it, the other 50 or 60 people should just pipe down in their criticism, eh?

Come to think of it, about that number of people joined because of the creation of an Esperanto community in Nstadt, so I want you to sit quietly while we force everyone here to learn and speak only Esperanto, OK Ash?[/quote:rfvdhovn]

This is yet another fallacious misrepresentation of my argument. I never claimed that the mere fact that people joined because of the judiciary by itself means that it should never be changed; I was merely responding to Beathan's suggestion that people have changed their minds about the judiciary by pointing out that there is little evidence that anyone has. The point about people joining because of the judiciary is evidence of the judiciary's capability to generate strong support and bring people into the community.

Ashcroft Burnham

Return to “Legislative Discussion”