Forum for constructively discussing our Vision for the CDS

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

In your opinion, how important is it for the future of the CDS to define and resolve the tension between vision and law in our community?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:49 pm

1. Critical - the CDS will not thrive and prosper if we do not.
29%
2. Important - it represents an important issue, but we must equally focus on other matters.
71%
3. Somewhat important - it is just an issue among others and we should not invest too much of our time and energies debating it.
No votes
4. Unimportant - we concentrate on other, more practical matters than conduct such esoteric debates disconnected from day-to-day matters.
No votes
5. A red herring - this so-called "debate on principles" is being used by some to mask their true intentions to acquire and consolidate their hold on our community.
No votes

Total votes: 7

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

Although I am not a great believer myself, I do think that religious texts often contain common sense advice, wisdom and even profound insights in the human condition that transcend both the time, place and particular culture wherein such texts first emerged. Therefore, from time to time (and particularly at Christmas and Easter, but also at times when I feel morally or ethically challenged) I do tend to leaf through the Old Testament, the New Testament, The Ku'ran or even the seminal texts of other religions in order to find sayings, or parables, or metaphors around which my thoughts could focus in order to look at an issue or problem in a new light, from a different perspective.

Therefore, given that we have just celebrated Christmas and that we are faced with extremely important, I would even say defining debates in 2L as citizens of the Commonwalth of Democratic States, I picked up this morning the Old Testament and read some of the sayings contained in my favorite book, Proverbs.

After a few minutes, I stumbled upon [b:2t1h8y5q]Proverbs 29:18[/b:2t1h8y5q], which reads as follows:
[i:2t1h8y5q][b:2t1h8y5q][size=150:2t1h8y5q]
"Where there is no vision, the people perish:
but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."[/size:2t1h8y5q][/b:2t1h8y5q][/i:2t1h8y5q]

As soon as I read this, I realised how critical this insight is for the process we are currently going through. The vision we have for our community, and the laws we obey as its citizens, are not the opposed poles of irreconciliable approaches to the future of the CDS; to interpret them as such would establish a false, even dangerous dychotomy between two equally necessary and dynamic concepts, both vital for our continuing existence. Rather, it is the dialectical tension and energy generated by both as they interact with one another that constitute the driving force that defines us and drives us forward.

[b:2t1h8y5q]"Where there is no vision, the people perish":[/b:2t1h8y5q]

The first element of this Proverb tells us in stark terms that having a common vision is vital for any community; a lack of a coherent and shared vision (which does not, however, mean undisputed in all its constitutent parts) is fatal to any group of individuals who desire to share their exsistence with others; and this applies even more in Second Life that in Real Life, because in-world Foucault's famous means to command, control and punish citizens are almost non-existent. A shared understanding of one's community and basic consensus as to the direction it is heading are thefore utterly critical for its very future.

[b:2t1h8y5q]"...he that keepeth the law, happy is he."[/b:2t1h8y5q]

The second element of the Proverb lets us know that happiness for us all can only be found within the bounds of the rule of law - however we may define its nature. A shared democratic, prosperous, diverse life as a community is simply not sustainable without the existence of a fair, just, efficent and professional (in the sense of skilled and dedicated, NOT elitist and imperious!) legal foundation. A fundamental acceptance of the need for the respect of the rule of law in our community is a [i:2t1h8y5q]sine qua non[/i:2t1h8y5q] (ie. necessary but not sufficent) condition for the survival, happiness and prosperity of the CDS. It is only on this basis that our traders, builders, finaciers, entertainers, creatives, and all other citizens can thrive and enjoy their 2L existence -thereby contributing to the spiritual and material growth and prosperity of the entire community.

[b:2t1h8y5q]"..but..."[/b:2t1h8y5q]

This three--letter word is critical. This conjunction doesn't simply join two independent clauses; not does it contrast two opposites; it is, in its stark simplicity, the [i:2t1h8y5q]tertium quid[/i:2t1h8y5q], the middle term linking and setting in tension the two phrases discussed above. Out of this very creative tension arises the vital dynamic that can carry us forward; and ignoring any of these terms, or even radically disagreeing about the meaning of each, can and will be fatal to our future endeavours as citizens of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators.

Armed with this (personal; I do not claim that others may not be aware of it or something similar) insight, I spent the next hour or more sifting through a cross-section of the more recent debates that have animated those members of our community who are most active in CDS and post most often in this forum. It became utterly clear to me, t0 the extent to which I still entertained doubts about it before, that not only are we as a community not clear about the critical importance of the creative tension between vision and law, thus tending to oppose one to the other in a false dychotomy and thus give rise to a "broken middle" (to which I have referred before in one of my speeches before the Scientific Council) which inevitably hinders the consolidation of any (as Diderot aptly labels it) "architecture of trust" in the CDS - but that we even profoundly disagree as to the very nature and meaning of the terms "vision" and "law" themselves as they pertain to our Second Life endeavours.

This fundamental problem which exists right at the heart of our community -- and was first articulated (as rightly pointed out again by Diderot) in clear terms by Mikael Lunardi, then taken up by the Simplicity Party to justify its policy intiatives, and commented on at length by Ashcroft (in a modified dychotomy opposing experimenters and organisers) and a plethora of his critics in the context of the Judiciary Act, as well as by Gwyn (in the context of the nature and role of the Scientific Council) who, in exemplary fasion, clearly identified the rising tension between these two elements and seemed to resign herself to a "disenchantment of (2L) modernity" which inevitably leads to the ouster of "vision" by "law"-- must be uregently addressed if our community is to survive and prosper as opposed to be regularly shaken by violent conflicts leading to either the departure or the expulsion of those who, at any time, disagree with the then-acepted views of the majority. Such a cyclical pattern of expansion and contraction, repeating itself [i:2t1h8y5q]ad vitam aeternam[/i:2t1h8y5q] ( a pattern we seem well on our way of establishing, given the acrimonious nature of both past and present disputes affecting the CDS) will inevitably lead to stagnation, mediocrity, and even decay. It is simply not enough for a core group of "keepers of the flame" to perdure, as immovable rocks of granite weathering the howlings of the winds and fury of the waves during each tsunamy past, present, and future, and carry on their shoulders the vestiges of what remains after each such storm just to make the CDS "live another day" (and most probably see this pattern of growth and contraction, of boom and bust, be repeated again). In order to thrive and prosper as a community, we must all come together and develop a shared understanding of (1) what our vision for the future of the CDS is, (2) what exactly we understand by the idea of "the law" as a a founding and fundamental element in the way we conduct ourselves, and most importantly (3) how these two elements fit together in a creative tension, both in theory and practice, by re-founding the [i:2t1h8y5q]tertium quid[/i:2t1h8y5q], the "broken middle" without which we shall not only be unhappy in the immediate future, but surely perish as a community in the longer term.

In my humble opinion, none of the current factions has accurately identified the problem outlined above in all its complexity and urgency. Therefore, after having had lenghtly discussions with many of our citizens, both old and new, deeply involved in our debates or almost completely unaware of them- I have concluded, that a new faction must be founded that will expressly articulate and address these issues and propose a new way "Forward Not Back" (here I shemelessly plagiarise from the UK's "New Labor" party's slogan during its 2006 electoions) -by articulating its mission to promote "Democracy, Prosperity and Diversity in a Fair and Sustainable CDS".

But the issues and tensions embodied in [b:2t1h8y5q]Proverbs 29:18[/b:2t1h8y5q] cannot be reduced to being a purely electoral issue. They are both much more, and much less at the same time.

They are "much less" in the sense that the upcoming elections will not be conducted on, or decided by, exclusively such a debate, but ratherby a plethora of short- and medium-term policy platforms and strategies providing a very differnt focus for the voters than the more theoretical and principled debate I have outlined here.

They are "much more" in that they transcend the immediate issues of an electoral process recurring every six months, and affect -nay determine our very future happiness and existence. We as a community must carry on this discussion outside our factions and outside the realm of competitive politics, in a truly deliberative fashion,based on the twin principles of absolute inclusion of ALL our citizens (and not just of the more vocal and regular contributors to our forums or in-world meetings and debates) and respect of th deep diversity of our individual opinions, out of which the "best argument" will neverthless emerge and be accepted by all, in truly democratic fashion.

It is therefore in the hope that we will all set aside our partisan differences and be able to come together as a communty in an "architecture of trust" fully capable of addressing the inherent, dynamic tension (to quote one of Habermas' seminal works) "Between Facts and Norms" - between vision and law and reconstitute, together, a shared meaning of not only these two terms, "BUT" also and most importantly, of the [i:2t1h8y5q]tertium quid[/i:2t1h8y5q], the "broken middle" which transforms them from a destructive dychotomy into a creative and dynamic source of energy for our community that I have started this thread.

I am currently working on my own contribution and will post it as soon as I feel it accurately represents my position on this critical subject of debate. If others wish to contribute at any time, I hope they will be free to so so -in a purely deliberative and constructive manner, fully respectful of both the spirit and letter of the "architecture of trust" invoked by Diderot, as well as of the force and import of the better argument as opposed to as to the most vociferous and strident posting. It is only in such a spirit that we can hope to carry forward those dreams and ideals which constitute the very foundation of the Commonwealth of Democratic Simulators" and which, in one way or the other, represent the most important reasons why each and every one of us has joined this community as a citizen.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Michel --

I think that you are onto something here and have expressed it well (at least for people who understand your social theory language). However, as a Jeffersonian believer in the durability of instability (as contrasted with the Ashcroftian commitment to stability at all costs), I don't share your fear that cyclical periods of revolution and regrouping will lead to mediocrity and failure. On the contrary, I think that such periods of revolution are a sign of life and human thriving. However, they must come about in their own right -- rather than being forced (as Maoist theory forces them).

I also don't see that we are necessarily arguing about a dichotomoy of vision and law with a broken middle. I think, rather, we are arguing about different visions of law. I have pointed this out before. I see the current debate as those who support law in its own right (legalists) and those who support law only as the process that leads to the emergence of rights (libertarians). This is a debate that occurs entirely on the plane of vision -- discussing law in theoretical, rather than actual, terms.

That said, I think that your suggested discussion is important (but not critical -- so I voted accordingly).

Beathan

Last edited by Beathan on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Constructively discussing our Vision for the CDS

Post by michelmanen »

Beathan,

You wrote:

[quote:26jbhgj9]I also don't see that we are necessarily arguing about a dichotomoy of vision and law with a broken middle. I think, rather, we are arguing about different visions of law. [/quote:26jbhgj9]

I entirely agree, which is why I wrote above:

[quote:26jbhgj9]It became utterly clear to me, t0 the extent to which I still entertained doubts about it before, that not only are we as a community not clear about the critical importance of the creative tension between vision and law, thus tending to oppose one to the other in a false dychotomy and thus give rise to a "broken middle" (to which I have referred before in one of my speeches before the Scientific Council) which inevitably hinders the consolidation of any (as Diderot aptly labels it) "architecture of trust" in the CDS - [b:26jbhgj9]but that we even profoundly disagree as to the very nature and meaning of the terms "vision" and "law" themselves as they pertain to our Second Life endeavours.[/b:26jbhgj9][/quote:26jbhgj9]

However, this debate on our "different visions of law" must be carried out concomittently with our discussions on the "various laws of visions" and determine how they both fit together in a coherent and systematic manner so as to enable us to carry forward our common project - and have fun in doing so!

MM

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Michel --

You got a good chuckle from me there. I entirely agree with you on this, and with this project. It's nice to find ourselves on common ground, even if it is of the "agree to disagree and debate" variety.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Constructively discussing our Vision for the CDS

Post by michelmanen »

Beathan,

It is exactly in this spirit -as well as to promote the development of an "architecture of trust" conducive to reasoned and reasonable debate that I attempted to frame this discussion in terms we all could relate to, irrespective of our personal positions on any specific issue.

MM

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Beathan":q1oxbrml]However, as a Jeffersonian believer in the durability of instability (as contrasted with the Ashcroftian commitment to stability at all costs)[/quote:q1oxbrml]

This is a misrepresentation of my position so gross as could only be deliberate. In my forum post entitled "on stability", I wrote that radical change needs radical reason in support. I stand by that. That cannot conceivably be advocating stability at [i:q1oxbrml]all[/i:q1oxbrml] costs, but a proper weighing of the detriments of instability with the detriments of retaining the status quo. The greater the instability, the greater the detriments, and the worse that the status quo has to be to justify it.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

As to the substance of the thread, it is indeed important that we settle once and for all on a singular, stable model for our community so that it can go forward with that model in hand and do useful things, rather than spending all its time working out what it is trying to be.

One of the ideas that I will be submitting to my Local Government Study Group is that governments (which should be built into the SL interface) should have a separate place to put their constitution and statute law (in a similar way to a group charter or covenant, but more sophisticated), and also a place to put what is effectively an executive summary of their vision and set of ideals so that people can see at a glance whether it is the sort of community that they are prepared to join. That way, people will tend far more strongly to group together on common ground (or, if they join a community with whose ideals they disagree, know that they disagree in advance so that they cannot be taken by surprise later on), which should help to prevent destructive fractionation later.

What Michel is effectively, and probably sensibly, urging is that we in the CDS define our own executive summary of what our collective CDS vision is, and then, one would hope, stick to it as a set of our collective principles.

Ultimately, it is a far more effective model that there are lots of groups, each based around different but largely stable ideals, each operating on a stable but evolving rule-base and governmental structure, where people move between the groups if they find themselves in sufficient disagreement with the ideals of one or another, than if there are either many or a few groups whose basic ideals change so often (perhaps because of repeated influxes of new citizens with wildly varying ideals who are attracted to the groups knowing little about their existing ideal set, and when, on reaching it, find that they dislike it, then set out to try to effect radical changes) that they never settle on one long enough to really give it a chance to make it work in practice.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

As a former seminarian, I would like to point out that the LAW which is referred to here is God's perfect law; not the law of flawed men.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

As I said, I am not a great believer on the divine source of even holy scriptures... Unless you actually believe that the Torah, Bible and Ku'ran are actually of divine origin (which is a position I respect even if not subscribe to), the law referred to in Proverbs may claim to be divine, but in fact remains essentially human - and in any case, far from perfect...

A theological discussion was not, however, the reason why I used this text in the context of the CDS - but rather to highlight the inextricable connection and tension between (charismatic) vision and (institutionalised) law (be it human or godly - cannon or civil) and the urgent need for us to debate this topic in order to reach a shared understanding of what each of these two terms mean to us in this specific context and how they relate to each other in a positive and constructive manner (thus overcoming the false dychotomy which sets one against the other in a negtive, destructive conflict).

Return to “Legislative Discussion”