Proposed Constitutional Amendment: Clarification of Powers

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":36x34wzw]It's very frustrating, when having a discussion like this, to constantly be told your motives are 'personal', 'irrational' etc. You don't know what Jon's motives are any more than I do, we're neither of us mind-readers :)[/quote:36x34wzw]

It is equally frustrating to be told constantly that I am some sort of tyrant bent on usurping the legitimate power of other institutions and undermining people's rights rather than somebody who wants to build a top-class legal system in a virtual world and preside over it fairly, equally without basis. I have given specific reasons why I believe that the motives are personal.

[quote:36x34wzw]Why can't you take Jon's assurance that this is not personal at face value and argue the substance?[/quote:36x34wzw]

Should we have taken Jon at his word when he said that he believed that I had not acted in good faith when I drafted the judicial qualification requirements and questionnaire? As to the substance, I have already addressed that at some length, many times over: the Courts of Common Jurisdiction are supposed to be staffed by professional judges, highly skilled in the law, who would, for that reason, be better than people who are not skilled in the law at deciding most cases. The members of the Scientific Council are selected on the basis of their understanding of the constitution alone , and should therefore have their jurisdiction confined to questions relating to the constitution alone. Now, can anyone find any arguments of [i:36x34wzw]substance[/i:36x34wzw] that are not personal to me against that?

[quote:36x34wzw]You are right to say that this amendment fundamentally alters the powers and functions of the Judiciary. Your Judiciary Act took powers away from the SC, we want to give them back. [/quote:36x34wzw]

So do you accept that it is thoroughly and obviously misleading (obvious to anyone who knows that purpose) to call it a mere "clarification"?

[quote:36x34wzw]We don't want the SC to be limited to ruling on constitutional matters (and then only under the limited circumstances provided for by the JA) but to be the final Court of Appeal in all cases.[/quote:36x34wzw]

Why not? Where is the argument of substance for that?

[quote:36x34wzw]It doesn't matter what the original intent of the JA was and whether this was understood by you, the RA, the SC or St Peter and the Choir Invisible[/quote:36x34wzw]

It does matter that that was the original intent, since this discussion has been about whether this is a genuine "clarification" or not: if it is, then it would preserve the original intent; otherwise, it ought be called the "Judiciary Reform Bill". It is especially pertinent as you had [i:36x34wzw]claimed[/i:36x34wzw] that the reason for this Bill and your concerns was that there were unforeseen consequences. There is nothing about giving the Scientific Council all the appellate power in the world that has in the least to do with that.

[quote:36x34wzw]we don't like the way the JA is turning out and we want to change things. Your postings on this subject, the UDHR and lord knows what else only strengthen our case.[/quote:36x34wzw]

How, exactly?

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Beathan":147gmgbo]I agree with your definition of elite. [/quote:147gmgbo]

The first or the second version?

[quote:147gmgbo]However, being a lawyer who deals with other lawyers every day, and being a CDS citizen who has had the privilege of speaking with Gwyn and Diderot and FR and others, I can say without hestitation that the class of lawyers does not possess intellectual superiority over the nonlawyer citizens of the CDS. That means that the legal elite is either a social or an economic elite. Such social or economic elites tend to hold their positions for very bad reason -- by fiat rather than my merit.[/quote:147gmgbo]

This is incoherent: I have never suggested that a lawyer is, by virtue of being a lawyer alone, intellectually superior to anyone else. The suggestion is that training in the law, and an ability to qualify and complete that training successfully, and practice successfully, entails having significant legal skill, the possession of which is essential in order to be a worthwhile judge. The "elite" in question, therefore, is one of skill, not of social or economic status: as I have stated, it is utterly unclear how on earth you imagine that judges in the CDS could ever attain social or economic privilege over other public officials. Can you tell us now how that is possible, or accept that it is not?

[quote:147gmgbo]Unlike the SC, which is set up to be a meritocratic elite, the judiciary is just a social elite based on RL considerations which are not appropriate consideration when structuring the CDS social structure.[/quote:147gmgbo]

Why is legal skill not an appropriate consideration when setting up a legal system?

[quote:147gmgbo] I know that you contend that the judiciary is intended to be meritocratic -- but I don't se it. I rather see it as the creation of a social elite based on factors other than merit -- including the importation into SL and the CDS of RL social divisions. This is dangerous and horribly wrong.[/quote:147gmgbo]

Why do you not see legal skill and understanding as merit? And why do you ignore repeatedly the point that I have made repeatedly about it always having been my intention to establish legal education programmes here to train people in the law, so that real-life legal qualification is not a precondition of anything?

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Jon Seattle":3mafqx0f]Ashcroft, we of the CSDF open our internal debate to the world for better or worse. It is quite possible that I sometimes take a position in our party discussions that I revise later after I have heard other people’s views.[/quote:3mafqx0f]

Can you tell me, then, which, if any, of the above quotes that you now have revised?

[quote:3mafqx0f]However, the interesting thing, is that all the bits you have selected to quote (without context) have to do with my opinion on policy or on your execution of your responsibilities as chief judge. None has to do with you personally.[/quote:3mafqx0f]

How can suggesting that I have done something "not in good faith" be anything but the most serious possible personal criticism? What more serious conceivable personal criticism could be made than that?

[quote:3mafqx0f]I think you are quite fine as a person, and really have made a mess of your role as judge. The sad thing is that you have managed to undo most of what you intended.

1. Yes, I do think your qualifications for judges were inappropriate.[/quote:3mafqx0f]

Why? Do you or do you not accept that they do, in fact, accurately distinguish the legally skilled from the not legally skilled? Do you or do you not accept that legal skill is a vital requirement of a judge?

[quote:3mafqx0f]2. Yes, I do think that fact that you have not worked to gain confidence of the citizens or of the RA has undermined your ability to function effectively as judge.[/quote:3mafqx0f]

What do you mean here "worked to gain the confidence of the citizens or the RA"? Judges must always be independent: bending to social pressure is the sign of a weak, dangerous judge.

[quote:3mafqx0f]3. Yes, you really have not responded as I would have liked to requests from the RA, even threatening us with chaos in one session if you did not get your way.[/quote:3mafqx0f]

This is another example of what can only be a personal criticism, since you are now accusing me of trying to [i:3mafqx0f]blackmail[/i:3mafqx0f] the legislature, which, [i:3mafqx0f]again[/i:3mafqx0f] is thoroughly groundless. The point is, and always has been, that the Soothsayer rules are so vague as to be incapable of being workable, however good the judges are, and however hard that one tries to make them work, and that chaos is inevitable, with the best will in the world, because the rules are so catastrophically badly written. Did you honestly take me to mean that I would deliberately make things more difficult [i:3mafqx0f]in conducting actual cases[/i:3mafqx0f] than they needed to be just in order to punish the legislature for passing rules with which I disagreed?

Ashcroft Burnham

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":2l82s565]
Can you tell me, then, which, if any, of the above quotes that you now have revised?[/quote:2l82s565]
It is very clear that you would much rather portray this as a personal conflict than deal with the real issues that a growing number of people (in addition to myself) are bringing up. But Ashcroft, it may be time for you to listen a little. A number of people who have been your strong supporters are having serious doubts.

In any case the proposed amendment does not limit you in handling cases in any way. It does:

1. Give citizens a place to turn if they feel they have not received a just decision from you. Note that they still have to convince the SC sitting as a court.

2. Limit your ability to issue your own interpretations of the constitution and thus to shape policy on your own.

How can suggesting that I have done something "not in good faith" be anything but the most serious possible personal criticism? What more serious conceivable personal criticism could be made than that?[/quote:2l82s565]
It is criticism of your actions as chief judge. At the time it appeared to many people, not just me, that you may not have acted act in good faith. However, it is just possible that you did intend to have only judges who had real world legal expertise and only accidentally it happened that this would limit the bench to a small group you knew personally. Perhaps this last aspect was just a coincidence? If it was an accident then of course you did act in good faith. It just did not look like it.

What do you mean here "worked to gain the confidence of the citizens or the RA"? Judges must always be independent: bending to social pressure is the sign of a weak, dangerous judge.[/quote:2l82s565]

Ah, I agree on particular cases. But a judge who is not responsive to legislation when it comes to matters of law and procedure is even more dangerous. We can have confidence in someone (as, for example I have complete confidence in Gwyn) without expecting them to bend to our suggestions. I would trust Gwyn to do what she thought is right under any circumstance. You have not earned that trust.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":2l82s565]This is another example of what can only be a personal criticism, since you are now accusing me of trying to [i:2l82s565]blackmail[/i:2l82s565] the legislature, which, [i:2l82s565]again[/i:2l82s565] is thoroughly groundless. [/quote:2l82s565]
It is possible that all that you meant was: if you do not do what I ask you will bring chaos on yourselves. Or it is possible that you meant to imply that your own actions would play a part. I cannot tell. I will give you the benefit of a doubt, but even so your statement was inappropriate. As chief judge your job is to implement the rules the RA sets, not attempt to halt their implementation.

Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Publius Crabgrass »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":15m6jo6c]The point is, and always has been, that the Soothsayer rules are so vague as to be incapable of being workable, however good the judges are, and however hard that one tries to make them work, and that chaos is inevitable, with the best will in the world, because the rules are so catastrophically badly written. Did you honestly take me to mean that I would deliberately make things more difficult [i:15m6jo6c]in conducting actual cases[/i:15m6jo6c] than they needed to be just in order to punish the legislature for passing rules with which I disagreed?[/quote:15m6jo6c]
Why not propose some simple amendments to the RA's rules to make them more workable? Even the hardest-line RA members seem willing to entertain suggestions.

Perhaps even more signficantly, the lack of willingness to work with the rules adopted by the legislature is very troubling. Even more troubling is the [i:15m6jo6c]ex cathedra[/i:15m6jo6c] and injudicious pronouncement that the RA rules are unworkable, as this could cause the public further to lose confidence, since the judiciary seems to have pre-judged the workability of the rules -- ironically, the same sin the critics of the frist-draft code were accused of committing. A little judicial restraint would go a long way. :D

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Publius Crabgrass":38hkvlpc]Why not propose some simple amendments to the RA's rules to make them more workable? Even the hardest-line RA members seem willing to entertain suggestions.[/quote:38hkvlpc]

Because:

(1) simple amendments would not be enough: what is need is far, far more detail; and

(2) I am [i:38hkvlpc]certainly[/i:38hkvlpc] not going to put [i:38hkvlpc]more[/i:38hkvlpc] work into drafting rules when the work that I have already done over [i:38hkvlpc]hundreds of hours[/i:38hkvlpc], and whose scheme and structure I had planned for [i:38hkvlpc]months[/i:38hkvlpc] (and described in some detail long before the Judiciary Act was drafted, let alone passed) was discarded in favour of something scribbled on the back of a handkerchief in an afternoon.

[quote:38hkvlpc]Perhaps even more signficantly, the lack of willingness to work with the rules adopted by the legislature is very troubling.[/quote:38hkvlpc]

I have never indicated that I am not willing to work with the rules. I have indicated that the rules are disasteroulsy vague inherently.

[quote:38hkvlpc]Even more troubling is the [i:38hkvlpc]ex cathedra[/i:38hkvlpc] and injudicious pronouncement that the RA rules are unworkable, as this could cause the public further to lose confidence, since the judiciary seems to have pre-judged the workability of the rules -- ironically, the same sin the critics of the frist-draft code were accused of committing. A little judicial restraint would go a long way. :D[/quote:38hkvlpc]

It is not injudicious for the person who was entrusted to design the legal sysetm for the CDS to point out when those who make the rules are about to make rules so vague as will inevitably have disasterous consequences.

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Jon Seattle":30aqoxz8]It is very clear that you would much rather portray this as a personal conflict than deal with the real issues that a growing number of people (in addition to myself) are bringing up.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

That is absurd, since I specifically and pointedly deal with each of those issues. However, if there is specific reason to believe that some of the opposition comes from an irrational, personal disliking of me, then I am most certainly entitled to address that as well. Why will you not answer my question about which, if any, of the quotes are things about which you have now changed your mind?

[quote:30aqoxz8]But Ashcroft, it may be time for you to listen a little. A number of people who have been your strong supporters are having serious doubts.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

I listen to reason and reason alone. If people can produce a compelling, fully reasoned argument, I will take notice of it.

[quote:30aqoxz8]In any case the proposed amendment does not limit you in handling cases in any way. It does:

1. Give citizens a place to turn if they feel they have not received a just decision from you. Note that they still have to convince the SC sitting as a court.

2. Limit your ability to issue your own interpretations of the constitution and thus to shape policy on your own.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

This does not address the point that this is a very, very radical departure from the original scheme of the Judiciary Act that:

(1) has hardly been discussed at all; and

(2) claims to be a "clarification" when it is clear that it is far, far more than that.

What sort of legislature is it that makes such vast and sweeping changes with such little opportunity for discussion? This whole episode is making me more and more convinced that the CDS, as presently constituted, is utterly incapable of any scaling itself to do anything in the least serious at all: its legislators act without thought, are constantly inconsistent, appear not to have the slightest idea how to draft or interpret legislation, the constitution is changed every few weeks, and nobody keeps a proper record of precisely what the legislation passed is (I note that it was Publius who had to produce an up-to-date constitution, and even he made mistakes).

As to your points above, why should people seek redress from the Court of Scientific Council rather than the High Court of Common Jurisdiction (composed of three judges), when the latter are, and the former are not, appointed specifically on the basis of their [i:30aqoxz8]legal[/i:30aqoxz8] skill? Why should the Scientific Council's results be better [i:30aqoxz8]unless[/i:30aqoxz8] you personally mistrust the people who sit as judges in the Courts of Common Jurisdiction?

[quote:30aqoxz8]It is criticism of your actions as chief judge.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

A criticism of a person's actions that a person "has not acted in good faith" necessarily amounts to a statement that a person is inherently dishonest, since not acting in good faith entails being inherently dishonest. A suggestion that a person has not acted in good faith is really one of the most serious accusations that one could conceivably make; do you really not understand that?

[quote:30aqoxz8] At the time it appeared to many people, not just me, that you may not have acted act in good faith. However, it is just possible that you did intend to have only judges who had real world legal expertise and only accidentally it happened that this would limit the bench to a small group you knew personally.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

The only person whom I know outside SecondLife is Oni. All the others, Benjamin Noble, Michel Manen, Dexter Leopold, Blue McDonagh, Rose Springvale and Jaremy Utarid, were people whom I introduced to the CDS, having found their profiles listed in the SecondLife Bar Association (or, in one or two instances, had come to the CDS themselves and I had noticed or discovered from talking to them that they were interested in law), and had encouraged to become citizens here on the basis that we were doing something that they found very interesting indeed: building a proper, serious legal system for a virtual world. Everyone but Oni was introduced to the CDS in exactly the same way as Beathan, who, as we know, turned out to be a vehement opponent. When Publius announced that he was increasing the judge quota to three, of course, I looked to the same source, the people from the SecondLife Bar Association, as potential judges since, as you had already pointed out, there were not people already in the CDS at the time that the Judiciary Act was originally being contemplated who would be willing to serve as judges.

[quote:30aqoxz8]Perhaps this last aspect was just a coincidence? If it was an accident then of course you did act in good faith. It just did not look like it.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

It is when people jump to conclusions that people have committed acts of misconduct of that degree of seriousness without equally serious reason in support that things go, for that reason alone, very, very seriously wrong.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":30aqoxz8]Ah, I agree on particular cases. But a judge who is not responsive to legislation when it comes to matters of law and procedure is even more dangerous.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

What do you mean by "responsive" here? Being responsive to legislation entails nothing more than applying it in court. Since there have not been any actual cases yet, it is absurd to contend that I have failed to apply any legislation in court. Again, people are jumping to unjustified and irrational conclusions about my sincerity that improperly cause them to doubt whether I personally will judge cases properly, and are making, or proposing to make, huge changes to the system on that basis alone: it is an utterly absurd way to conduct any affairs.

[quote:30aqoxz8] We can have confidence in someone (as, for example I have complete confidence in Gwyn) without expecting them to bend to our suggestions. I would trust Gwyn to do what she thought is right under any circumstance. You have not earned that trust.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

Why not, exactly? When have I ever acted other than on principle?

[quote:30aqoxz8]It is possible that all that you meant was: if you do not do what I ask you will bring chaos on yourselves.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

Of course that is what I meant - did you [i:30aqoxz8]seriously[/i:30aqoxz8] believe that I would deliberately make things difficult for innocent parties in [i:30aqoxz8]actual cases[/i:30aqoxz8] just to spite the legislature? What possible basis could you have for such a serious interpretation? I have made clear all along that vague rules lead to inevitable disaster: that is exactly the point that Gwyn made when she explained how she and the others had spent twenty hours or so trying to work out the procedures for the Ulrika trial.

[quote:30aqoxz8]I will give you the benefit of a doubt, but even so your statement was inappropriate. As chief judge your job is to implement the rules the RA sets, not attempt to halt their implementation.[/quote:30aqoxz8]

As the person who designed the legal system, and spent a [i:30aqoxz8]vast[/i:30aqoxz8] amount of time on rules that were recklessly thrown away, it very much is my job to point out when the legislature is being so utterly stupid and irresponsible as it was when it passed the Soothsayer Rules.

Ashcroft Burnham

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":1vy7vb0s]As to your points above, why should people seek redress from the Court of Scientific Council rather than the High Court of Common Jurisdiction (composed of three judges), when the latter are, and the former are not, appointed specifically on the basis of their [i:1vy7vb0s]legal[/i:1vy7vb0s] skill? Why should the Scientific Council's results be better [i:1vy7vb0s]unless[/i:1vy7vb0s] you personally mistrust the people who sit as judges in the Courts of Common Jurisdiction?[/quote:1vy7vb0s]This is the heart of the matter. It's very difficult to address without getting into assessments of character which, while not in themselves amounting to personal attacks, may well feel that way and escalate the situation. So, I'll try to be diplomatic.

The Judiciary is currently untried and untested. A number of citizens have very serious doubts about the structure and the suitability for office of our Chief Judge. If there were to be vote of confidence (in the RA, the SC or by referendum of our citizens) I doubt whether either would gather a majority of votes. Part of the reason for the lack of confidence is down to the fact that the system is untried and untested; people are always suspicious and inclined to mistrust something new. This is the part that requires a 'leap of faith', a willingness to take the risk of trying something new for the benefit you believe it will bring. I've been prepared, up until now, to take that leap of faith. The other part of the reasons for the lack of confidence is down to the following:

[list:1vy7vb0s]*Immediately after appointment our first Judge declared himself Chief Judge (a lifetime appointment with significant powers to shape the development of the Judiciary).

*The application process devised for the selection of new Judges raised a number of concerns related to length, complexity, process and cultural bias. These concerns were stonewalled by the only person with power to change them, our Chief Judge.

*A lengthy Code of Procedure was developed by one individual, again our Chief Judge, and then published for 'consultation'. All attempts to discuss the principles underlying the code, length, assumption etc were stonewalled once more. In the end the RA overrode the Chief Judge and passed a much shorter, simplified Code of Procedure. (Incidentally, I think the 'right' code would be somewhere in between the length and comprehensive nature of the original code and the simplified 'Soothsayer Rules' but how do we get there if our Chief Judge will not compromise?)

*We learn that, contrary to the definition of the SCs role in the Constitution, the final judge of what goes on our forums is... the Judiciary! What's more, it's our fault for not realising this and raising any concerns we had when we had the chance.

*Finally, we learn that our Chief Judge believes that the UDHR no longer applies to the CDS. No one else believes this as it's clearly laid out in the preamble to the Constitution but this is, apparently, not enough.[/list:u:1vy7vb0s]
This part is much more serious. It leaves me with nagging concerns about the path we have embarked upon and which I have vehemently defended, up until now.

Actually, I do trust the Scientific Council to make better judgements than the Judiciary, despite the latter having more legal training and having passed a lengthy application and approval process. I intend no disrespect by this, it's simply that I know my fellow members of the SC through observing their forum posts, their behaviour in meetings, their general conduct and their interactions with me. I don't really know the other Judges but I do know our Chief Judge by the same set of behaviours that I know the members of the SC. Some of the criteria I use to form the basis of my trust are: ability to form a reasoned opinion on a subject; ability to understand another person's point of view and adapt (or not) one's own position in response; reasonableness; a sense of proportion; commitment to the ideal of developing a democratic, self-governing community; willingness to put the needs of the community first; lack of self-aggrandisement; lack of pomposity; willingness to listen. I've observed the members of the SC and our Chief Judge for several months now and feel I have a good base of evidence on which to form a judgement. For these reasons I prefer to see the SC given back its role as final arbiter of what goes on the forums and to be the court of final appeal and authority on the constitution because, on the basis of the evidence I have before me, I believe they will make better decisions.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Patroklus Murakami":o92bjlpx]This is the heart of the matter. It's very difficult to address without getting into assessments of character which, while not in themselves amounting to personal attacks, may well feel that way and escalate the situation. So, I'll try to be diplomatic.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

So you accept that you are seeking to make sweeping institutional changes based on your view of one particular person in one particular institution?

[quote:o92bjlpx]The Judiciary is currently untried and untested.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

The Scientific Council is very little tried in the realm of judicial decision-making either, and, where it has been tried, it has failed: do you consider the Ulrika trial to have been a success? It was precisely for this reason that the new judiciary was introduced in the first place. May I ask, what precisely will be the procedures that the Scientific Council will adopt on appeals?

[quote:o92bjlpx]A number of citizens have very serious doubts about the structure and the suitability for office of our Chief Judge. If there were to be vote of confidence (in the RA, the SC or by referendum of our citizens) I doubt whether either would gather a majority of votes.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

Do you accept that what matters is not whether people have such an opinion, but whether it is, as a matter of substance, inherently well-founded?

[quote:o92bjlpx]Part of the reason for the lack of confidence is down to the fact that the system is untried and untested; people are always suspicious and inclined to mistrust something new. This is the part that requires a 'leap of faith', a willingness to take the risk of trying something new for the benefit you believe it will bring. I've been prepared, up until now, to take that leap of faith. The other part of the reasons for the lack of confidence is down to the following:

[list:o92bjlpx]*Immediately after appointment our first Judge declared himself Chief Judge (a lifetime appointment with significant powers to shape the development of the Judiciary).[/quote:o92bjlpx]

I have explained this before, and I have no idea why everybody is ignoring what I have written. The early drafts of the Judiciary Act had the Chief Judge as a specific appointment by the Scientific Council, who would then have the power to appoint all other judges. The appointment mechanism for the Chief Judge was therefore a [i:o92bjlpx]different[/i:o92bjlpx] appointment mechanism than for other judges. At that stage, I had made it quite clear that I was proposing both the Judiciary Act be adopted and that I be appointed as both Chief Judge and Chair of the Judiciary Commission. I had designed it such that a single person could share both roles, and that the system could function with only that person (and perhaps a clerk) precisely because some people (Jon in particular) had expressed the concern that there may be difficulty in finding other people to staff the institutions. What I was proposing was a whole judicial system, not just the Act, but the development of common law and procedures based on my initial ideas posted in the original "Developing our legal system" thread. To carry out those ideas, more than just the Judiciary Act itself would be needed; I should then have to draft procedure, and develop the common law in the way outlined. Determining the procedure was a power given to the Chief Judge, and I had made it plain at the early stages that that is the position for which I was applying.

When the Judiciary Bill was discussed, it became apparent people wanted a system in which the judges would not be selected merely by existing judges. There was some lengthy debate on the issue, and eventually Moon came up with an interesting idea based on what she called at the time the "Order of Judges", where that set of all judges would qualify further judges, who would then be appointed by the Representative Assembly. That was discussed further; I saw that the idea had potential, but also that there were some problems with it, so I came up with a revised version (calling the "Order of Judges" the "Board of the Judiciary Commission", and inventing the PJSP to prevent the political legislature from having a role in judicial appointments). Moon's original proposal, if I recall correctly, had the Chief Judge qualified by the Scientific Council and appointed by the Representative Assembly, and other judges qualified by the Order of Judges and appointed by the Assembly. The problem with this, of course, was that the Scientific Council, which is not composed of legal experts, would be choosing each subsequent Chief Judge, as well as the first (it needed to choose the first as there were, of course, no existing Judges of Common Jurisdiction). So, I amended that, too, and instead of having the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction appointed by a different mechanism, had her or him set to be appointed in the way that all other judges were appointed, and then made Chief Judge by a decision of the Board. This would mean two things: (1) that the first judge ever to be appointed would inevitably be the Chief Judge; and (2) that future Chief Judges would be selected by existing judges, not by the Scientific Council.

When I was appointed as a judge, the quota for judges remained at the default of 1. There was only one judge, somebody had to be the Chief Judge, and that was the position that, all along, I had been seeking in order to carry out my original plans, detailed on the original "Developing our legal system" thread. At the time that I became the Chief Judge, I had no reason to believe that Publius would be increasing the judge quota a few days later. Indeed, I recall reading in a transcript of a CSDF meeting from late October that Moon had specifically said that she had thought that the plan was for the SC to qualify, and the RA to appoint, the first chief judge, and that chief judges thereafter would be appointed by existing judges: that is exactly what transpired in fact, and exactly how the system was designed to work: by appointing a single first judge, the SC and RA were, as far as I could see, quite deliberately, appointing the first chief judge, just as Moon had envisaged when she drafted what was to become, with some modifications, the basis of our judicial appointments system.

I therefore find it wholly bizarre and quite unfair that people now criticise me for doing what I had always planned to do, what I had always made clear that I had always planned to do, what at least one member of the legislature publicly stated she understood that I had always planned to do, what was inevitable in the circumstances that I should have to do (no cases can be heard without a Chief Judge, since it is the Chief Judge who assigns judges to cases and sets procedure), and what was necessary for me to do in order to carry out my original plan (in the "Developing..." thread) that I had also made clear was always my intention to do.

[quote:o92bjlpx]*The application process devised for the selection of new Judges raised a number of concerns related to length, complexity, process and cultural bias. These concerns were stonewalled by the only person with power to change them, our Chief Judge.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

Again, this criticism is wholly unfair and utterly bizarre. I had always made clear that I was creating a [i:o92bjlpx]professional[/i:o92bjlpx] judiciary. I had made my proposal on the basis of my knowledge and experience of legal practice based on my own profession. The word "professional" even appears in the preamble of the Judiciary Act. I had argued publicly and strongly in favour of judicial qualifications being set by existing judges because the existing judges in our new, professional judiciary would be legally skilled, and would be the best people to determine the legal skill of future judges. I always made clear that legal skill was of the utmost importance to judicial ability.

In order, therefore, to ensure that judges were sufficiently legally skilled, I drafted a set of qualification requirements and an application form designed to discover legal skill as effectively as I possibly could. A shorter test simply would not have been as effective, and the need to have skilled judges is paramount.

The concerns that were raised were evidently from people who did not share the belief in the importance of judicial skill: certainly, nobody has even tried to argue that the test that I drafted was not an effective test in distinguishing who does and does not have legal skill. However, we had already decided, finally, decisively, when giving the power to qualify judges to the existing judges, not to the Scientific Council, that judicial skill is something for which the qualification procedure for judges must test rigorously.

You claim that I "stonewalled" those who disagreed with me: I consider that to be a wholly inaccurate characterisation of my response. "Stonewalling" means to refuse to answer or to engage (the [url=http://www.tfd.com/stonewall:o92bjlpx]dictionary[/url:o92bjlpx] says:

[quote:o92bjlpx]stone·wall Pronunciation (stnwôl)
v. stone·walled, stone·wall·ing, stone·walls
v.intr.
1. Informal
a. To engage in delaying tactics; stall: "stonewalling for time in order to close the missile gap" James Reston.
b. To refuse to answer or cooperate.
2. Sports To play defensively rather than trying to score in cricket.
v.tr. Informal
To refuse to answer or cooperate with; resist or rebuff: "I want you to stonewall it, let them plead the Fifth Amendment" Richard M. Nixon),[/quote:o92bjlpx]

whereas, in fact, I engaged in lengthy, detailed, substantive debate on all of the points raised. I have always acted, and made it clear that I only ever act, on the basis of reason: if I believe a reason to be a good reason, I will act on it; if I believe it to be a bad reason, I will not.

Beathan raised two concerns in relation to the form: (1) that it would take too long to complete; and (2) that the hypothetical questions were unethical. In relation to the first, my response was (1) that judges, in order to judge cases properly, would have to spend a great deal of time and effort doing so, so it is not a bad thing that people should have their willingness to spend time and effort tested in the application process; and (2) that, since we had already started the qualification procedure, it would be insane to stop it on the basis of speculation about whether enough people would be prepared to apply, and it would be better to wait and see whether enough people apply before judging that it is too long. In fact, two very able people did apply, and were qualified, disproving the validity of the first objection, so I was entirely right to reject it at that stage.

As to the second, I gave precise and detailed reasons why I disagreed with Beathan's analysis of the ethical issue with hypothetical questions. I considered the point that he was making very carefully before coming to the conclusion that it was not well founded. Why are you accusing me of "stonewalling" my critics when what I actually did was make a careful and thorough consideration, on the merits, of their claims, and decided in the end against them? Is that not precisely how a judge is supposed to make decisions - on the merits of the matter at hand, and nothing else? The whole point of there existing an office that has the power to determine these things is that it is the people who are in that office, and not other people, who decide how to discharge those powers. If, on one hand, a person is claiming that a power should be exercised in one way, and, on the other hand, somebody else is claiming that it should be exercised in another way, what possible means is there of breaking the tie except by the person whose job it is to exercise that power, determining, on the inherent merits of the argument, which is the correct thing to do?

[quote:o92bjlpx]*A lengthy Code of Procedure was developed by one individual, again our Chief Judge, and then published for 'consultation'. All attempts to discuss the principles underlying the code, length, assumption etc were stonewalled once more.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

As to "stonewalling", see above. The Code [i:o92bjlpx]needed[/i:o92bjlpx] to be lengthy and detailed in order to work, especially given the fact that the people here share very few assumptions about legal systems in common: every detail had to be spelt out clearly and precisely. The Code followed very exactly the plans that I had laid out in my original "Developing our legal system" thread, which had been available for [i:o92bjlpx]months[/i:o92bjlpx] in advance for consultation. Furthermore, it is absurd to criticise the fact that the code was written by one individual, since that is precisely what was mandated by the constitution.

[quote:o92bjlpx]In the end the RA overrode the Chief Judge and passed a much shorter, simplified Code of Procedure. (Incidentally, I think the 'right' code would be somewhere in between the length and comprehensive nature of the original code and the simplified 'Soothsayer Rules' but how do we get there if our Chief Judge will not compromise?)[/quote:o92bjlpx]

I disagree with that premise: as I have stated many times at some length (and nobody has ever found any real, compelling or specific arguments against what I have argued for), a code of at least the detail and precision that I drafted very much is necessary. It is also very odd that you should think that any other kind of procedure without me "compromising" (whatever you mean by that). It is entirely reasonable of me not to start from scratch and set about drafting [i:o92bjlpx]yet more[/i:o92bjlpx] rules when so much of the effort that I put into drafting the original ones was discarded so recklessly and for such insubstantial reason. Nothing is stopping anyone else proposing better procedures to the Representative Assembly that I, of course, would follow when deciding cases. But I think it now unlikely that you will get anybody prepared to do that given just how disrespectful that the current legislature has shown itself as being over other people's work, and how reckless that it is in discarding it.

[quote:o92bjlpx]*We learn that, contrary to the definition of the SCs role in the Constitution, the final judge of what goes on our forums is... the Judiciary! What's more, it's our fault for not realising this and raising any concerns we had when we had the chance.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

It is extremely bizarre that you should list this amongst reasons not to be confident in the judicial personnel: as I have explained before (and as even Publius agrees), the power of judicial review is entailed by the clear wording of the constitution itself. What on earth does this have to do with anybody's confidence in me or a system?

Why do you think that the power of judicial review is contrary to anything in the constitution? Judicial review of executive action is a standard feature of any developed judicial system. In the UK, for example, the National Health Service is correctly described as the body that provides for healthcare, but certain decisions taken by hospital managers and doctors (about whether to treat patients or whether to withhold treatment on grounds of cost) can be the subject of judicial review. That does not mean that one can sensibly say that the High Court of England and Wales is the real health service! Similarly, the Scientific Council [i:o92bjlpx]moderates[/i:o92bjlpx] the forums, but there is nothing to stop any person seeking judicial review of that executive discretion - why should there be?

Again, I ask, why do you think that I should have realised that you did not realise this? After all, a forum moderation appeal was part of the judicial function of the Scientific Council; the purpose of the Judiciary Act was clearly to take [i:o92bjlpx]all[/i:o92bjlpx] the judicial functions of the Scientific Council, bar impeachments and appeals on purely constitutional grounds, and give them to the new, professional judiciary. I had mentioned moderatorial appeals in my original explanation of procedures. How on earth did you expect me to know: (1) that you (or anyone else, although it is not clear that anyone else except Beathan ever did believe this) thought that moderatorial appeals would remain with the Scientific Council; despite (a) the clear scheme of the Judiciary Act outlined above; (b) the mention of notices of moderatiral appeal in the discussion on procedures; and (c) the clear wording of the constitution and (2) that you thought that the position was important enough to merit some sort of special mention. I ask again, since I have not received an answer to this question now despite having asked it a great many times (and that really [i:o92bjlpx]is[/i:o92bjlpx] stonewalling), what precisely do you think that I should have done to make it clearer to you that that was the effect of the Judiciary Act, and how was I supposed to know that you needed it to be made clear in that specific way?

[quote:o92bjlpx]*Finally, we learn that our Chief Judge believes that the UDHR no longer applies to the CDS. No one else believes this as it's clearly laid out in the preamble to the Constitution but this is, apparently, not enough.[/list:u:o92bjlpx]
This part is much more serious. It leaves me with nagging concerns about the path we have embarked upon and which I have vehemently defended, up until now. [/quote:o92bjlpx]

As I have explained before, and as Gwyn has also explained, the UDHR was never designed to be treated as a source of [i:o92bjlpx]law[/i:o92bjlpx], and it would be quite absurd to treat it as such. It was always designed to be a series of approximate standards by which international agencies could judge governments to see that they are appropriately respecting human rights, and a series of guidelines for governments about how they should design their laws so as to respect human rights. It was never intended to be law itself. It was not drafted as legislation and should not be treated as legislation: it would be a disaster if one tried because it is so vague. It sets out a large number of conflicting rights with no indication at all about how any of those conflicts should be resolved (even the European Convention on Human Rights, which is, extremely unwisely, treated as a source of law by the specially constituted European Court of Human Rights contains [i:o92bjlpx]some[/i:o92bjlpx] guidance on which rights should prevail in which circumstances). It is simply unsuitable as legislation.

That does not, of course, mean that I have no respect for human rights themselves, and it is again utterly absurd to jump to that conclusion from the premise that I believe, and therefore act on that belief when drafting legislation, that human rights treaties were not intended to be, and should never be, treated as if they were legislation. The idea was, as I have explained now multiple times (which nobody has even attempted to address) that rights would be built up from the common law, just as the law of contract, the law of harassment, the law of property and so forth were to be built up from the common law. That is a far saner, safer, more reliable method of proceeding than treating a human rights treaty as if it were legislation.

[quote:o92bjlpx]Actually, I do trust the Scientific Council to make better judgements than the Judiciary, despite the latter having more legal training and having passed a lengthy application and approval process. I intend no disrespect by this, it's simply that I know my fellow members of the SC through observing their forum posts, their behaviour in meetings, their general conduct and their interactions with me. I don't really know the other Judges but I do know our Chief Judge by the same set of behaviours that I know the members of the SC. Some of the criteria I use to form the basis of my trust are: ability to form a reasoned opinion on a subject; ability to understand another person's point of view and adapt (or not) one's own position in response; reasonableness; a sense of proportion; commitment to the ideal of developing a democratic, self-governing community; willingness to put the needs of the community first; lack of self-aggrandisement; lack of pomposity; willingness to listen. I've observed the members of the SC and our Chief Judge for several months now and feel I have a good base of evidence on which to form a judgement. For these reasons I prefer to see the SC given back its role as final arbiter of what goes on the forums and to be the court of final appeal and authority on the constitution because, on the basis of the evidence I have before me, I believe they will make better decisions.[/quote:o92bjlpx]

Perhaps you should make your decisions on whether the professional judiciary whose purpose it always was to take over the day-to-day judicial functions of the Scientific Council because their legal training and experience made them more adapt at doing so based on having seen such people judging actual cases (and see whether the upcoming Thor Forte trial will be better or worse handled than the Ulrika Zugzwang trial), rather than on speculation of the sort that has proved to be wholly unfounded in the past (I am referring in particular to the speculation that there would not be enough suitably skilled people interested in completing a lengthy application for judicial office).

Overall, I find the whole approach taken by many to this judicial system to be utterly bizarre: I come to what is now the CDS, present a detailed plan (in the "Developing our legal system" thread), draft a Bill that is the first step towards implementing that plan, which, after some discussion and compromise on all sides, is passed, then set about implementing the rest of the plan in [i:o92bjlpx]exactly[/i:o92bjlpx] the way that I have spelt out on the original thread, on subsequent threads, and during the debate I had planned to do, and I am criticised for implementing the system badly for doing nothing other than following the plan of which I had always made clear that the Judiciary Act was the first part. Everything for which you have sought to criticise me above is was a necessary and inevitable part of putting the original, fully published, plan into operation in exactly the manner that I had always made quite clear was necessary, so it is utterly unfair that I should be made the subject of criticism for so implementing it. It is seeming more and more like the people here who call themselves a government do not know the first thing about law or legal systems, or, for that matter, how to run a government or what legislation means, and lurch from one crisis to the next with very little thought or planning at all. Despite my best efforts to create a professional judiciary, the government seems utterly bent on remaining for ever amateurish.

Ashcroft Burnham

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":26fh9mvx]
You claim that I "stonewalled" those who disagreed with me: I consider that to be a wholly inaccurate characterisation of my response. "Stonewalling" means to refuse to answer or to engage (the [url=http://www.tfd.com/stonewall:26fh9mvx]dictionary[/url:26fh9mvx] says:
[/quote:26fh9mvx]

The fact that you like to ask pointless questions and use a dozen words when two would do doesn't change the substance of the matter.

I find Pat's allegations to be very well-founded; I think the one benefit of all of this is we're watching matters that much more closely!

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":3tqot7dn]The fact that you like to ask pointless questions and use a dozen words when two would do doesn't change the substance of the matter.[/quote:3tqot7dn]

No, that does not make any sense: "stonewalling" is refusing to engage, not merely disagreeing. Why was I "stonewalling" the people with whom I disagreed by not giving into them any more than the people who disagreed with me were "stonewalling" me by not agreeing with me?

Ashcroft Burnham

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

OK Ash, rather than "stonewalling" would you prefer it if we referred to your misbehavior as "filibustering". That would be fine with me -- both in its sense of preventing meaningful resolution to debate by meaninglessly continuing it through redundant repetition -- and in the sense of a private person waging war against a sovereign state.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Beathan":2yy1wqlg]OK Ash, rather than "stonewalling" would you prefer it if we referred to your misbehavior as "filibustering". [/quote:2yy1wqlg]

So you now think that people disagreeing with you and not giving into your demands to agree with you as misbehaviour, do you? Excuse me if I think that more than a little arrogant.

Ashcroft Burnham

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":2y9d6ut5]So you now think that people disagreeing with you and not giving into your demands to agree with you as misbehaviour, do you? Excuse me if I think that more than a little arrogant.[/quote:2y9d6ut5]

/me stumbles a bit at the implication of the above statement.

Whose opinions and judgments do you trust, other than yourself?

I think it is fair to say that most if not all of the people here want you to remain as part of our community. We do NOT yet trust you to be the head of it, in spite of what you may have read into the interest of a few RA members when you presented some of your ideas months ago.

Importantly, no one is forcing you to do anything. No one is teling you to leave, to submit to them, or to give up anything. But people - and at this point I include almost every CDS citizen I have heard from on this issue; clearly a supermajority - don't want to go along with your plans for the judiciary at this point. If you want people to change their minds at a later point, you may want to reconsider how one works within a democratic system.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":33z7ya2c]/me stumbles a bit at the implication of the above statement.

Whose opinions and judgments do you trust, other than yourself?[/quote:33z7ya2c]

What on earth do you mean? Beathan had claimed that the fact that I was disagreeing with him was a form of [i:33z7ya2c]misbehaviour[/i:33z7ya2c]. What in the world does that have to do with whose judgments and opinions that I trust?

(Incidentally, to answer the question, I do not choose what opinions and judgments to trust based on who makes them, but based on the cogency of the reasoning presented in support of them).

[quote:33z7ya2c]I think it is fair to say that most if not all of the people here want you to remain as part of our community. We do NOT yet trust you to be the head of it, in spite of what you may have read into the interest of a few RA members when you presented some of your ideas months ago.[/quote:33z7ya2c]

What on earth gives you the idea that I should ever want to be "head of" the CDS? There is no such position: no one person is the head of the CDS, or ever will be as long as it remains a democracy. Whatever possessed you to imply anything contrary?

[quote:33z7ya2c]Importantly, no one is forcing you to do anything. No one is teling you to leave, to submit to them, or to give up anything. But people - and at this point I include almost every CDS citizen I have heard from on this issue; clearly a supermajority - don't want to go along with your plans for the judiciary at this point. If you want people to change their minds at a later point, you may want to reconsider how one works within a democratic system.[/quote:33z7ya2c]

How does any of this have any relevance to Beathan's bizarre and extremely arrogant claim that merely disagreeing with him was a form of [i:33z7ya2c]misbehaviour[/i:33z7ya2c]?

Ashcroft Burnham

Return to “Legislative Discussion”