Newcomer/Oldtimer Engagement and Rapprochement

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Carolyn --

The purpose of this thread was to increase the connections among members of our community -- both newcomer and oldtimer. This discussion of whether D/s is a sexual orientation and, if so, whether it deserves social recognition and civil rights as such is interesting -- but non-topical. Please, if you must consider this discussion, do so on another thread.

I know the leaders of CARE practice thread-hijacking as a standard tactic, but I had higher hopes for the rank-and-file.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Carolyn Saarinen
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Carolyn Saarinen »

[quote="Beathan":2vfgdeyt]Carolyn --
The purpose of this thread was to increase the connections among members of our community -- both newcomer and oldtimer.[/quote:2vfgdeyt]

And it has. It has made clear that certain 'oldtimers' in positions of authority despise 'newcomers' they've never met. That might not be pleasant but it's communication.

[quote="Beathan":2vfgdeyt]This discussion of whether D/s is a sexual orientation and, if so, whether it deserves social recognition and civil rights as such is interesting -- but non-topical. Please, if you must consider this discussion, do so on another thread.[/quote:2vfgdeyt]

You should know better than to imagine that starting a thread on any forum grants you ownership of it. :) To repeat for ( is it really?) the fifth time. I made a reasonable remark and was attacked at great length for my sexuality. Don't blame me for defending myself. I'll never apologise for that.

[quote="Beathan":2vfgdeyt]I know the leaders of CARE practice thread-hijacking as a standard tactic, but I had higher hopes for the rank-and-file.
Beathan[/quote:2vfgdeyt]

Don't try to paint me as some CARE stooge. I have explained why I am a member. If the leadership of that faction have chosen to take advantage of this debate - which I did not start - to promote their agenda, then perhaps the 'oldtimers' should be less politically inept. Personally I've had my voting decision simplified by 50%.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Carolyn --

You can, of course, vote as you wish. The purpose of this thread was not about voting. Rather, it was about newcomers making incorrect decisions based on snap conclusions drawn from RL prejudices, and about oldtimers failing to engage and teach newcomers about the CDS, leaving them with nothing to go on but their RL prejudices.

I requested that you consider moving your discussion about D/s lifestyle to another thread not out of a claim of ownership. Rather, I had in mind section 3.3 of the forum posting guidelines.

[quote:3ds7fxwm]3.3: When responding to a post, consider if the topic has drifted away from that of the original post and if so, consider posting your reply as a separate thread. [/quote:3ds7fxwm]

However, I think that this provision applies to most of the other posts on this forum, and not just to yours. Once again, I think we have a thread that should be closed down by the SC as forum moderators for drifting away from topic and into the realm of flaming and counter-flaming.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Carolyn Saarinen
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

[quote="Beathan":blruxgds] I think we have a thread that should be closed down by the SC as forum moderators for drifting away from topic and into the realm of flaming and counter-flaming.
Beathan[/quote:blruxgds]

I agree, but I think it's died a natural death anyway. Ssh, do not resucitate. :wink:

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Wow! I am gone only a short time and it has hit the fan!
I can only wonder what things will look like after (hopefully) my return to second life im Februrary, March or April.
I am getting ready to deploy in support of my country. I am a warrior and a women!
I also run the Das Joy Phim Haus, that is when I have the ability to log on.

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Ranma Tardis":2yi4b2w9]Wow! it has hit the fan![/quote:2yi4b2w9]

You can say that! It's good to hear from you Ranma.
(You are being deployed in Afghanistan?)
I hope you can teach the Taliban there something about (virtual?) democracy, or if not, at least a tough lesson they won't forget.
We're looking forward to see you back again asap, with the Joy Phim in tact to give it some nice controversial function :-)
Take care.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Newcomer/Oldtimer Engagement and Rapprochement

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Carolyn Saarinen":1zz2tsc1]
I've got a better idea: Follow your fellow-bigot's example and quit while you're behind.[/quote:1zz2tsc1]

I have an even better one; quit playing the "help, help, I'm being repressed by the straight-laced vanilla mundane" card.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Carolyn Saarinen
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: Newcomer/Oldtimer Engagement and Rapprochement

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":2qq9dllu][quote="Carolyn Saarinen":2qq9dllu]
I've got a better idea: Follow your fellow-bigot's example and quit while you're behind.[/quote:2qq9dllu]

I have an even better one; quit playing the "help, help, I'm being repressed by the straight-laced vanilla mundane" card.[/quote:2qq9dllu]

Oh let me turn the screws just bit more little slave. I think you're about to come! :lol:

Last edited by Carolyn Saarinen on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightwind Leonov
Lurker
Lurker

ENDGAME

Post by Nightwind Leonov »

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Thread closed

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

Alright children I'm closing this thread in accordance with article 5.5 of the moderation guidelines:
[quote="Forum Moderation Guidelines":2pab16r0]
5.5: A moderator may proactively decide to lock a thread if it has drifted from its original topic, contains posts that are bordering on being in violation with this document or are in other ways deemed to be detrimental to the purpose of the forums. The moderator will post a message in the thread giving justification for locking the thread.[/quote:2pab16r0]
Whacking each other over the head with accusations of discrimination, bigotry and hyper-sensitivity respectively is hardly a constructive way of approaching a potentially interesting topic about how to better include newcomers in decisionmaking in the CDS while aiming to maintain a certain degree of continuity.

No warnings will be issued at this time but if the discussion persists in this tone there will be no such hesitation.

Return to “General Discussion”