PCA: AC Abolition

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

PCA: AC Abolition

Post by Sudane Erato »

In a post on a thread of this name in the Representative Assembly Discussion forum ( http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... =5927#5927 ) Michel Manen says:

[quote:33cshi4p] No, I don't agree. We should appoint an independent and professional Auditor General who would issue, two weeks from the date the budget is tabled and before the RA votes on it, a non-binding Budget Report. Based on this, the RA can amend the Budget or adopt is without change. No veto of the budget should be given to any other body, elected or unelected, since adopting a budget is inherently the job of the RA. Only citizens at large can "veto" the RA on the budget, based of the Auditor General's Report, and the overall performance of the budget, at election time.[/quote:33cshi4p]

I am strongly in favor of any plan which extends the financial responsibility for our community beyond one person, the Treasurer. I have argued for appropriate financial oversight almost from day one in the history of our fair community. The concept has stumbled, i believe, primarily due to a lack of interest on the part of anyone who might fill this role.

And I fear that this proposal too might stumble on that obstacle. An Auditor General (let's be realistic... a person who would "look over the Treasurer's shoulder" as a second eye on the financial process and records) would be in my view a perfect step to take now. But I fear that it may fail for lack of anyone qualified who might be interested in devoting the (relatively minimal) time to it.

An important point, however, is worth bearing in mind. In practice, I would suggest that the plan will create a "financial bloc", in which because of the interaction between them, the Treasurer and the Auditor will come to represent a common position, having looked together at the same financial material and mostly dealt with their issues between themselves. I frankly think thats good, but it may not provide the kind of independent oversight that Michel intended.

Sudane.....

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

I see no reason not to have the S.C. handle this function -- either collectively or through special individual appointment as we have in our (conceptual) judiciary.

I would propose that we think about the branches of government (including the New Guild -- although it technically does not qualify) in terms of kind of expertise, not merely role. The Guild should be the organization of pooling and directing SL talent (builders obviously -- but also all other recognized SL professions). The RA should provide us with over-all direction and coherence. On this model, the SC should be the place where we pool and organize RL skills and talents. (I think it is already considered to be the pool of RL political philosophical talent -- but there is no reason not to further leverage the SC to include and recruit a broad range of RL skills and talents.) I have previously argued that legal talent, rather than being segregrated into its own branch, should operate through the SC (insofar as legal talent is necessary to administer justice in the CDS). I think that accounting or financial talent (at least in its oversight, "Auditor General" capacity) should also center on and arise from the SC.

This is consistent with both Claude's and Justice's posts in the RA discussion. The Auditor General (per Claude) would be appointed by (indeed part of) the SC. Further, as part of the SC, the Auditor General (per Justice) would have a [i:10zckkw9]post hoc[/i:10zckkw9] review role -- not a prospective budget advisory role. Thus, the SC would "look over the shoulder of" the Treasurer, much as it "looks over the shoulder of" the RA.

This also minimizes the need to multiply roles and offices -- keeping our governmental structure simple and consolidated by using those institutions we have already to respond to emerging needs and problems. (Thus, it is well in line with what I understand to be the insight and commitments of the Simplicity Party.)

This still raises two problems -- neither of which is unique (both of which have to be addressed -- by this RA if possible). First, as Sudane points out, who, other than her, has the financial expertise to do the job. (If we find such a person, we should make an effort to place them on the SC where they can perform the function.) Second, how do we increase democratic control over the SC, without undermining its authority or role, so that it can be effective while being insulated from the criticism that it is "elitist" or "authoritarian" -- in a word, that it is "undemocratic"?

From this perspective, we should undertake an active recruiting role, both within the CDS and throughout SL more generally. (Ash was exceptionally good at this -- and he will be missed. However, as with the judiciary, our recruitment would be better as a community effort than as a one-man show. We must not create a cult of personality, based on feelings of personal loyalty to the individual who did the recruiting. Such personal ties can cause a mass exodus if the recruiter becomes unhappy and bitter. Even if there is not such an exodus, such personal ties are corrosive and dangerous within a democracy -- as the debate about the Judiciary Act proved so vividly.) I have proposed such a process for the new Guild. Something similar can be done through the SC.

Recruiting people with useful RL skills to the SC is contrary to the CDS history concerning SC appointment. SC service (it seems) has been based on a proven track record of service to the CDS. This is important. However, I think that we can address this problem by differentiating between kinds of SC members. Currently, Pat is a nonvoting member of the SC because he is simultaneously serving as a voting member of the RA. Why not treat new professional recruits similarly? Make such people provision members of the SC, without a vote, but with a specific purpose (such as Auditor General, or judge, or somesuch), with the prospect of promotion to full, voting membership upon a sufficient showing of service and commitment to the CDS?

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

Some constructive commentary (please take as such).

1) The experiment in government that the CDS is, already powerfully affects its finances. It's not all in Sudane's hands, not so long as income comes from other people.

Consider that a zero infrastructure, lightly covenanted sim *will* make more income than you (or I!) do, per sim. That's essentially a 'fact' of the land business. Almost every prim or rule beyond bare basic minumum, such as 'no griefing' will detract from income over the long run.

That's not to say the CDS *should* change, or that what you are doing in terms of government isn't 'worth it' in some grander scheme.

2) Since 2 sims at old rates can be ostensibly supported by less than 10 people (at approx 50 USD/mo each) you won't need a big population to survive, and have a lot of leeway for error.

So... Why not fully democratise your finances/budget? Keep 600 USD in reserve, which will allow 3 solid months for your two sims to recover from almost any screwup the democracy could possibly make.

Meantime, it would lend great force to your democracy in a positive way (money for projects, growth for things that work) rather than in a negative way (court cases, bans).

Just a thought.

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

I concur with Desmond on this. I am not convinced there is a need for empowering an independent entity with a budget veto. This is in my view too much political power to be entrusted in one person's hands.

One way to implement due caution without having to resort to a budget veto power could be to embed into the Constitution a requirement that the Treasury maintains a reserve of XXX USD (to be used only under conditions of emergency described as being the following circumstances) and that failure by any government official to maintain these reserves will be seen as sufficient grounds for impeachment.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":2jm8eyvb]I concur with Desmond on this. I am not convinced there is a need for empowering an independent entity with a budget veto. This is in my view too much political power to be entrusted in one person's hands. [/quote:2jm8eyvb]
I cannot comment on the issue of the budget veto itself, which is ostensibly what this thread is about. In principle, the Treasurer is a functionary of the Chancellor, so that if the Chancellor/Treasurer should submit a budget to the RA for approval, that does seem to me like sufficient multiple "interests" having their say.

But, Diderot and Desmond, I think you are missing a fundamental point. There indeed *IS* too much power in one person's hands now! And no provision for set-asides, in itself, will protect the community from a negligent or malicious Treasurer, as presently structured.

Simple example. As can be seen from the financial reports accessible thru the website, Rudeen currently holds a considerable amount of $$ designated mostly for repayment of the short term obligations entered into last October. It would be ridiculously easy for me to cash out those funds and disappear.

Having some oversight of the Treasury function *will not* prevent this entirely from happening. A malicious individual will indeed find a way to circumvent controls. But *any* kind of oversight is better than none! We must start somewhere. Whether or not the "Independent Auditor" proposed by Michel has veto power, it is surely an idea which, in some form or other, should be implemented.

Sudane.....

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

Keeping the money in some sort of national bank / federal reserve and setting up an institutional structure to determine how it would conduct its business in accordance to a previously published road map to that effect could perhaps do a little to ensure some ongoing oversight with the use of our funds?

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

[quote="Sudane Erato":2c4ht3vx]But, Diderot and Desmond, I think you are missing a fundamental point. There indeed *IS* too much power in one person's hands now! And no provision for set-asides, in itself, will protect the community from a negligent or malicious Treasurer, as presently structured.[/quote:2c4ht3vx]

Yes, this is the fundamental problem - and even spreading funds among individuals will simply distribute the same risk.

I'm not quite sure how to resolve that part of it, honestly. Save for one way: grow really big. That way, controlling one sim won't mean so much when you have 100 of them.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”