need to "upgrade"

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ranma Tardis

need to "upgrade"

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I was in a Caledon group chat and it seems that Linden Labs is going to want the private sim owners to "upgrade" to the new sims or be "left behind". There seems to be no plan on how this is to be done. The mainland is going to be upgraded without cost. The new functions will only be available to the class V sims.
Even after this "upgrade" that may cost up to $1400 dollars a sim and $100 extra in tier a month, what about the next upgrade? As we all know there is always another "upgrade".
Any thoughts on this subject?

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Good point Ranma, I think we need to discuss this.

As I undertand it, private island owners with class 4 servers will have to upgrade to class 5 if they want the new voice services enabled on their land.

Now, I don't know what class our servers are! So I guess that's the first thing we need to sort out.

The second question is then, if we have a class 4 server, do we really want voice that much? I can't say I'm that excited about the prospect. It would make meetings far quicker but we'd lose the benefit of a verbatim transcript which others could read. I'd also have to find another room to use SL in; no way I can 'chat' in voice in SL while my partner watches the tv!

Salzie Sachertorte
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Salzie Sachertorte »

The issue here isn't whether or not we want voice, rather it is that LL is using this as a test, to see whether or not grandfathered island owners will pay to upgrade and accept "new island" rates in order to obtain new features.

Please note that "new" island owners and the mainland sims will receive this voice feature free of charge. If "older" island owners' choose not to upgrade, they will be left behind as new features are developed. I believe LLs is using voice as a carrot to see it they can bait folks to pay for upgrading features in the future, thus forcing island owners to pull the cart of development in SL.

See [url:2eskf0xa]http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/200 ... ont_l.html[/url:2eskf0xa] for some discussion regarding this issue.

Once the precedent is set, we will be forced to pay to upgrade each time a new shiny bling is developed, e.g., physics avators .

To the issue at hand, I personally won't use voice, thus I feel no need to pay extra for it.

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

If we don't have to pay more, I say we don't. Unless there is something that will really benefit CDS I say we get by as cheap as we can.

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I can not agree with you more Salzie san. This is a test to see how much money they can squeeze from the private sim owners. The true test is going to be if Anshe Chung and the other land barons "upgrade" to the "new" Sims. If we give in now there is no end to the amount of money Philip will extort from us.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I think Salzie may well be right here. It's particlularly galling that they're asking class 4 server owners to 'upgrade' when this will be free for everyone on the mainland! The word 'extortion' comes to mind.....

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

On the other hand, the mainland's needed SOME draw to it; it's been a pit for awhile now.

In any case, if we really wanted to use voice, it'd be easy enough to use Skype or Teamspeak or something similar; the only difference is this is bundled into SL itself.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.

Return to “General Discussion”